Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Police Mode - What exactly is part of it?

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet

Last edited:

superiornz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Nup it should still work to click from digital speedo to customise options and so on, your best to just take it to your local holden service place for a check I have done one set of the buttons I cant remember if that was on VZ or VE but yeah they werent expensive from memory.

Oh bummer,

Anyone know how to take the steering wheel control switches out?

Does the steering wheel, airbag etc need to be removed or can it just simply pull out without snapping?

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Oh bummer,

Anyone know how to take the steering wheel control switches out?

Does the steering wheel, airbag etc need to be removed or can it just simply pull out without snapping?

Yeah you have to remove the steering wheel. I'll try to send you the instructions. First step is to disable the airbag refer to ...... so I'll have to search a bit more for those instructions unless someone else knows how that's done.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Bugger, sorry superiornz. The pdf is just slightly too big & I can't seem to post it for you (well I can't see how to). Here's a copy of the text. PM your email if you want the whole pdf with the pics. :)

Steering Wheel Control Switch Assembly Replacement
Removal Procedure

1. Disable the occupant protection system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.
2. Remove the steering wheel inflatable restraint. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel
Module Replacement.
3. Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement.
4. Remove the steering wheel hub to rear cover screws (1).

© 2010 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Document ID: 2099829 Page 1 of 4

Note: Disengage the retaining lugs (2).
5. Remove the rear cover (1) from the steering wheel hub (3).

6. Remove the steering wheel hub to steering wheel audio control switch assembly screws (1).
7. Remove the steering wheel audio control switch assembly harness grounding screw (2).

8. Remove the steering wheel hub to steering wheel spoke trim retaining screws (1).
9. Remove the steering wheel audio control switches from the steering wheel hub assembly.
Installation Procedure
Document ID: 2099829 Page 2 of 4

1. Install the steering wheel audio control switches from the steering wheel hub assembly.
Caution: Refer to Fastener Caution in the Preface section.
2. Install the steering wheel audio control switch assembly harness grounding screw (2) and
tighten to 1 N•m (9 lb in).
3. Install the steering wheel hub to steering wheel audio control switch assembly retaining
screws (1) and tighten to 1 N•m (9 lb in).
Note: Make sure that all the retainers (2) engage.

4. Install the rear cover (1) to the steering wheel hub (3).
Document ID: 2099829 Page 3 of 4

5. Install the steering wheel hub to rear cover retaining screws (1) and tighten to
1 N•m (9 lb in).
6. Install the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement.
7. Install the steering wheel inflatable restraint. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel
Module Replacement.
8. Enable the occupant protection system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
Went through the manual I have but couldn't find out how to disable the airbag. Sorry. If you choose to go that way you'll have to wait until someone who knows things, like ms_enj, to respond and tell you how. Good luck.

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet

Last edited:

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
who ever wants Police mode enabled i can do it for a small fee. With a free DTC check.
PM me i am in the inner west reign.

brad1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve ss
I have a 2010 ve ss and got a new motor in in and when I plug in the inteer and map light in to the assemblie the dash and radio screen don't work and not of the gauges any easy fix

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Trap speed is used when doing a tupmed (take up position, maintain even distance) - what it does is saves the speed of speedometer when pressed - scroll down to recall it - situation - following a bloke doing 100 in a 60 - tupmed over a few hundred metres n use trap speed - helps to show the motorist that they were indeed over (not by a few k's of course) - used when motorists are a fair way over n no other method of detection is available

dolsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega SII
Hey all, I just purchased an ex police 09 Omega VE and it has the police mode activated on it for obvious reason.

I wanted to know exactly what is part of 'police mode' in the VE

1) Digital Speedo
2) 'Trap Speed'

On my steering wheel control, the left wheel activated traps speed, right wheel adjusts stereo volume. However, both the buttons (left one is trip control) and right one is the phone control does not work, i.e does not do anything when i press them.

Is this because of police mode or because the switches are bung? I dont want to spend $$ and hours putting in the new switch just to find out it was actually because of police mode.

Cheers!

Hi,

Did you ever get this sorted? I just brought an ex police commodore and had the same issue. It was because of the police equipment installed and then removed. They cut the wire for the steering wheel switch so they can hook into it for their hands free police radio. It's very easy to fix. Let me know if you still need the info.

Daniel.