Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE power output

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6l
Hey guys,

I have an 09 VE SS running an OTR intake full exhaust system cammed and tuned By a well known performance tuner in Darwin (not going to name names)

I'm currently running 285kw as of the last tune. does this sound right I am seeing performance packages being offered with less modifications and the same if not more power. am I using a dodgy tune maybe or does this sound right?

Ive also noticed it tends to bog abit when taking off in first there is sometimes a real slow response time. I've been told that maybe the tune is making the car run a bit lean.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
When I had the ve ss Ute that I owned a few years ago it produced 257 rwkw. The mods were the same as yours but no cam. The Ute was an auto. I believe that an auto will be down about 20 rwkw on a manual. Do you know what the specifications and make of the cam are? If you know this ring them, perhaps they can help. Keep in mind that one dyno can give quite a bit of difference to another. As for bogging down on take off, this should not happen. If anything it should run a lot smoother. Have you spoken to the tuner about your concerns? Might be a waste of time but give it a go.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
As an afterthought are you running the car on 98 octane petrol?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6l
Cheers I’ve always been abit worried when I see a 320kw performance kit and it’s just an OTR and a tune.

I was running 95 for a bit but recently stepped up to 98 as I’m not dailying the car anymore. Does slightly help the bogging but not enough for me not to worry about it

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
The 320 kw performance kit you mention is quite likely correct. The difference is that the kw figure you have for your car
is measured at the rear wheels. Roughly add one third to your rwkw. My ve before it was tune had 207 rwkw.
You will most probably find your car has been tuned to run on 98 octane and won't like if it runs on a lesser octane fuel.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Keep in mind environmental factors too. You've had it tuned in Darwin in the middle of Summer, that will effect its ability to make power compared to a car from Sydney or Melbourne where the average temp is like 15-25 degrees.

It bogging down should largely be able to be fixed with a bit more dyno/road time, just talk to the tuner again and see what they can do. Most decent shops are okay about it. Having said that it will depend on how big your cam is and what you're used too. Did you get them done at the same time?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6l
the cam was installed with a tune, but then the car was taken to another tuner for a re-tune. thanks a lot both of you. im still fairly new to the performance game

Nanoxcel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Ive got an auto with a cam, was tuned on a 40deg day in NSW, made 300kw at wheels, in normal auto mode when i dump my foot on accel there is sometimes a 1 -2 second lag where it feels like its bogging down starving from fuel, then it will launch, if i turn on sports mode this doesnt happen, im no expert but my guess is the lag is the trans trying to downshift before giving you the full ponies.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Keep in mind environmental factors too. You've had it tuned in Darwin in the middle of Summer, that will effect its ability to make power compared to a car from Sydney or Melbourne where the average temp is like 15-25 degrees.

It bogging down should largely be able to be fixed with a bit more dyno/road time, just talk to the tuner again and see what they can do. Most decent shops are okay about it. Having said that it will depend on how big your cam is and what you're used too. Did you get them done at the same time?

Correct I've had several large cams all with great manners, tuners with great experience will be very close first go. I put a 232/234 in a 5.7 years ago and tuner did it in less than 1hr with perfect manners. He just done heaps of 5.7s with that cam so no rocket science.