Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve race ute

Fito

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ute
Is a cage street legal in VIC?

I have seen caged cars on street before but im not confident in that beeing legal

This is my mod list before i opened this thread

Tein coilover suspension with roll control sway bars
Difillipo full 3" exhaust system
ALCON VE Commodore Supper High Performance Complete Brake Upgrade Kit
as new From GMH
Ripstick shifter
Harrop/magnuson charger havent decided

If you guys know better handling suspension hit me up because tein is all i know
I used ohillins on my dirtbike dno what they are like on cars but they are awsum on the bike
I care mainly about handling and performance than overall looks

mydato

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE, 28 Model A Pickup
Hope you have a bucket load of money and make allot of money. If you are serious about racing then you need plenty of the folding stuff to set a car up properly. Different classes have different rules too. So you need to decide before you spend a cent of what class and category you want to race in. Then go and speak to the scrutineers, organisers and other drivers on the regs etc etc. Then you'll have some idea on what to budget for. My Datto 1600 cost me about $30K to setup just for sprints.
Buying a retired car is a top idea however you will still have to maintain it. So allow for at least a few grand per meet. Have enough in the bank to rebuild your car when you bend it.

If you only have a small amount of cash under 50k I recommend you you spend it else where. It costs money to go fast and lots of it. :)

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Hope you have a bucket load of money and make allot of money. If you are serious about racing then you need plenty of the folding stuff to set a car up properly. Different classes have different rules too. So you need to decide before you spend a cent of what class and category you want to race in. Then go and speak to the scrutineers, organisers and other drivers on the regs etc etc. Then you'll have some idea on what to budget for. My Datto 1600 cost me about $30K to setup just for sprints.
Buying a retired car is a top idea however you will still have to maintain it. So allow for at least a few grand per meet. Have enough in the bank to rebuild your car when you bend it.

If you only have a small amount of cash under 50k I recommend you you spend it else where. It costs money to go fast and lots of it. :)

100% agree but I think he just wants to have fun at open track meets for now and see what kind of times he can set at the local track and then improve on his PBs

Fito

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ute
I run my own buisness in the construction industry and ive raced motocross at a national level and that also is an expensive sport i understand money wise you need allot of money to race but i dont want to be a v8 super car driver i just wanna do it for the sake of working on the car learning about the car and doing meets when ever they are on and doing my best lap times and having fun which in my view is priceless and i have more than enough cash to fund my hobbie im not comming into this blindly thinking i can spend 10k on an exhaust system and brakes and im set.

Fito

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ute
100% agree but I think he just wants to have fun at open track meets for now and see what kind of times he can set at the local track and then improve on his PBs

You sir are 100% on the ball!!

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
Before you say blower best see what restrictions are on the class you wish to race in .

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
I have seen caged cars on street before but im not confident in that beeing legal

This is my mod list before i opened this thread

Tein coilover suspension with roll control sway bars
Difillipo full 3" exhaust system
ALCON VE Commodore Supper High Performance Complete Brake Upgrade Kit
as new From GMH
Ripstick shifter
Harrop/magnuson charger havent decided

If you guys know better handling suspension hit me up because tein is all i know
I used ohillins on my dirtbike dno what they are like on cars but they are awsum on the bike
I care mainly about handling and performance than overall looks

If you do have a good budget, forget the Teins and get on to MCA (Murry Coote) MCA Suspension | The official website of MCA Suspension they can also advise you on sway bars and bushings. Just don't go out and put urethane in everything as in some spots it is better to have a high quality rubber ones.
The exhaust can be a tricky one, up here there are a couple of tracks that have a maximum noise level that the car can reach, if its too loud then you are not allowed to race. I don't know if there are any tracks down your way that have the same restrictions. I would do some checking first.

Rip shifters are cool, but they do have a down side, get the shift wrong and it can hurt the box. Have seen quite a few damaged from not getting the gear engaged properly. But they do make the shift nice and quick!

Blower for track work is so much fun!!!! You will find that you don't need to pull big revs when using the blower, you can just drive it i the low and mid range and have enough torque that there is no need to rev it past about 6K.
Down side to a blower for track work is heat soak and the output air temps. It takes a fair bit of work and a good amount of cash to build a inter cooler that will put up with lap after lap at a race track. There are quite a few off the shelf ones, but most are only good for street duties.

Don't forget tyres, a good semi/full slick will save you seconds compared to a average tyre.

You will find the best information you can get is from people that go and do what you want to do. Head out to some track days and have a look around at what people are running and have a chat to them. You will learn so much more about what works and what doesn't work.
Its so easy for people to tell you to do this or that and yet they have never done any of it themselves.
Spend your money once and spend it right, it makes it a hell of a lot cheaper and a lot more fun that way!

No matter which way you go, have fun!!!

mydato

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE, 28 Model A Pickup
Yep I agree tires are everything. Semi's at least. If you want to run full slicks check the regs some folks require a full cams cage for slicks. Another must is a good racing seat. Not a cheapy for Autobarns something 1K plus with a good harness. The seat and tires are the best mods. They make seconds disappear. Again though most likely you;ll need a VAS for the seats and harnesses. You might as well ring a VAS engineer and tell him what you want to do and get the car signed off and road legal.