Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Radiator Coolant Loss

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Dear JC Members,
This may be on interest to some VE Owners that always wonder "were is the water/coolant going", and/or leaking ?.
I replaced the Radiator hoses recently as they were due to be changed anyway, bottom one was a bit soft, and bulging.
Even replaced the Radiator Cap.
In doing that, I replenished the Red Coolant as required.
but after a day or two, you would normally check the level as air can get trapped in the cooling system when it has herd opened, and would make its way out to the radiator, so hence the water level would be down which is understandable.
However, I was a bit confused to why the water level was ALWAYS down over a period of a week, then the following week.
The other tell-tail sign was the smell of the coolant when you arrive at your destination, or home in the garage.
I even purchased a Radiator pressure tester, but it would hold the required pressure. [when cold]
With a bit of investigating, I found that the bleed pipe on the neck of the radiator was weeping ONLY when it was hot, this was due to the OEM spring type clamp did not have enough tension on it to seal the hose onto the barb/outlet it is fitted to.
So I went to Supercheap to get 1 hose clamp, but they don't sell them as a single item, you have to purchase them in pairs in blister pack for $5
Being Bunning's is around the corner, so I went to the plumbing section and they had stainless steel 6mm > 16mm hose clamps for 75c, yes 75 cents,
So its a 75c fix.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-6-16mm-stainless-steel-hose-clamp_p4920191
I have included a photo of the hose in question.
Hope this helps other JC Members. ;)

Attachments

• Radiator Bleed Hose1.jpg
    Radiator Bleed Hose1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
I have a similar problem with my cheap VE project, I fill the cap to max, run the engine for 25 min, next day I run it again for 25 min and the next day after the engine is cold about 5 to 6 table spoons of coolant is missing but find nothing on the garage floor but like you said when I start the car and get it hot I SMELL COOLANT. Now this is for V6 (LEO Engine) and I found the issue. Leaking from the "O" rings but I will buy a complete NEW fitting as I have slight pit marks where the cap screws on.

Leaking from the Input under the top manifold. The pipe where the radiator cap is.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I read in a another thread, there is a Brass replacement fitting you can purchase from Repco that is best to use, as it wont corrode/rust.