Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Radio to VE IQ Setup

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Were you able to ever figure out how to enable VIM? If this is something that can be done with an eeprom programmer easily, once i get one and practice on these clusters i can give it a wack on the stereo

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
VIM was worked out. Yes you can enable / disable it on the Series I main units EEPROM.
The problem here is not technical....

The person that worked out the VIM removal spent a lot of time and money to work this out.
(He imported two G8 headunits, one with VIM, one without), and spent a long time comparing the two EEPROM dumps).

During that time, we started to discover people on fleabay selling Series I headunit programming, and people using the information to profit from the hard work that a few (4 people at that time) had put in to working things out....

These people selling these services did not contribute any information or EEPROM dumps (Which would have been very handy at the time),
and a couple of them were not even programming the things correctly. (A couple of buyers ended up sending their headunits to be "FIXED" to a couple of the above members, with these members realising that someone had uploaded the EEPROM dump that they had posted on CarModder, complete with their vehicles VIN number)....

Basically what this means is that the person that worked out the VIM removal will not be publishing (publicly) what locations and values are required to enable / disable VIM.
He has given the information out to those people that have genuinely contributed useful information regarding head units, clusters, BCMs, and CAN Bus programming.

So in summary, the more useful information you contribute, then you will find people willing to contribute information back.
If you are only interested in taking the information, not contributing anything, and trying to profit from the information, then you are going to find it very tough to find any really good "Freely available" information.

A lot of people think this is unfair, but keep in mind, the above members spent roughly a combined amount of close to $6000 on headunits, EEPROM programmers, HVAC Controllers, wiring connectors, and other misc hardware.
On top of this, hundreds of hours were spent mapping out EEPROM locations for the startup screens, VIN Number, background colour, and VIM.
Of the above four people that freely contributed this information, NONE have made their money back. (Or even close to making it back).

Its quite sad really, as their is still a lot to learn from this kind of stuff, but very very few are willing to share their discoveries.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
I'm looking at this....when the wallet is full enough.
VE II Commodore touch screen Holden iQ radio kit, suit all series one HSV SS SSV | eBay[/url]

Save your money !!!!!!
You can get these units from wreckers now for a couple of hundred dollars. (Instead of the thousands that this is selling for).
What's more, you can get someone like Ultimate Wiring Conversion to program the VIN number, and enable all the features you require, and you be wayyyyyy out in front in terms of money spent compared to buying the above.

For close to the price of the above kit, I fitted a HSV IQ System, complete with Sat-Nav, (MY12 Maps), and HSV Triple Gauges.
I also fitted a USB connector to the center console, and properly wired the existing Bluetooth Mic in to the system.
(Something that you cannot do with the plug and play wiring adaptor that is sold above).

ms_enj

Geek girls are sexy...
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega 60th Anniversary
VIM was worked out. Yes you can enable / disable it on the Series I main units EEPROM.
The problem here is not technical....

The person that worked out the VIM removal spent a lot of time and money to work this out.
(He imported two G8 headunits, one with VIM, one without), and spent a long time comparing the two EEPROM dumps).

A lot of people think this is unfair, but keep in mind, the above members spent roughly a combined amount of close to $6000 on headunits, EEPROM programmers, HVAC Controllers, wiring connectors, and other misc hardware.
On top of this, hundreds of hours were spent mapping out EEPROM locations for the startup screens, VIN Number, background colour, and VIM.
Of the above four people that freely contributed this information, NONE have made their money back. (Or even close to making it back).

Yup. And this is exactly why I haven't given out the VIM details, despite numerous requests for them.

Doing the dual-zone conversion, plus all the work on the headunit, and integrating the media player, I'm going on $3k spent... Unfortunately, for those of us that have pioneered all this stuff, it really isn't fair that others could steal the info we worked hard to obtain and just freely profit from it.

(Also Hi Matti... Have missed you :))

Jaycee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Anyone recommend a place to do this in Melbourne. I looked into this a while ago and never went ahead and got it done, bought the head unit but couldn't find anyone willing to do it anymore.

Cheers, JC

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey ms_enj I see where you are coming from and I dont mean to offend however if the information was freely available people would at least have the option of doing it themselves or to pay someone to do it. I just dont see how sitting on the information is helping anyone. It is not that i want the info I just dont understand your mindset on this issue.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
JHP in melbourne do the IQ conversion to the series 1 you drive in and they can do it while you wait.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi MsEnj ! Good to see you around :)
Hope everything is going well for you and your partner !

In terms of the VIM function, think of it as a means to an end.
The function itself is completely useless unless you intend to use it for something.

Now here is where people can try and contribute....
Its great that people want to use the composite input for In car PCs !
This is something that definitely should be encouraged. (Just like the iPad mini install on BigBoss's VE)...

Now if you really wanted to get some benefit out of connecting an in car PC to the composite input, you REALLY need to sort out a number of things,
in tandem with the VIM function.

1) System Input. You have Windows/WindowsCE/Linux/MacOS/iOS/Andriod running, and displaying on the stock headunit !
Great, Fantastic, Brilliant !
Now how are you going to control the interface ?
Touch screen, steering wheel buttons, the lower screen buttons, the existing radio buttons and knobs ?????
Trust me, at this point this problem will make or break your system, far before VIM becomes an issue !
I can currently count only 12 or so people that have contributed anything to Single Wire Can Bus Sniffing.
(Which you are going to NEED to figure out to get the button stuff working).
If people contributed some good quality information here, then I am sure the person that paid $$$$ and contributed many hours to work out the VIM, will quite happily give the information out. (As is the case with the 4 members that have this information already).

2) Say now you have the above nutted out ? Next you will want to probably display something like the HSV EDI system.
(If you just wanted an in car pc for NAV, then you are better off either using an Omega pod with a handheld nav unit fitted, or fitting a Series I nav unit)...
Standard OBDC Can bus data will give you engine parameters, and that's about it. (Revs, Intake temps, throttle position, etc etc).
You REALLY want to pull information such as ESP Pitch and Yaw rates, Brake application, individual wheel traction information under acceleration and braking, transmission gear position, trans temps.
All this requires investigating Proper Hgh Speed J1850 VPW Can data, which cannot be done nicely using a standard ELM Based OBDC Dongle.

3) Now, assuming you know all about the above packets, and you have the hardware to sniff them out, you are going to need software to display this information.
You can try and buy something thats already out there (Either some generic OBDC software that will display engine params), or try and get some specific GM High speed Can software and see how much of it works with the VE....
Maybe even if you have a bit of programming nouse, start an open source project, and try to get some enthusiasts on board to get something really good going ?

So as you can see, there is a LOT of information that needs to be nutted out, and if people are genuinely interested in doing things themselves,
then they will get involved, experiment, and share their findings.
Without people getting involved in the above, the good stuff will never happen (Or will, but the people that worked this stuff out with be very loathe to share the information).

Most of the time however, people want the end solution, and aren't really prepared to put in any hard work (or at least share the information as to how they got to where they are).
If this is the case, then there are places that are more than willing to help out, for a fee of course.
(Nothing in life that is of any value is easily obtained) !

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VE Calais V Sportwagon S2 A6
Hello all,

Apologies in advance if my following question is inappropriate for this thread, I'm currently considering installing a factory roof mounted dvd player into my series 2 calais v wagon however was told that I need to have the rear AUX (rse) enabled from my iq unit before I even attempt to do this installation.
My question is how do I go about getting the rear AUX enabled and do I need to have the VIM enabled too just to play the video on the rear screen? (not interested in having the display shown on the iq screen above 3km/h)
I'm hoping to avoid a trip to the stealers as I can only imagine how much they will charge me for this!
Any info would be much appreciated.