Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Rear wheel bearing replacement

T_Spargo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Hey,

My rear driver side wheel bearing needs replacing and my mechanic told me its going to cost over $700. I've been told by a couple of people that I'm being ripped off, just wondering what you all think, as my husband and I know pretty much nothing about cars.

Cheers :)

rum87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Redline Ute M6
find another mechanic, my mate just replaced my front left one and i watched him do it, took all of about 15mins only a few bolts. i believe you can buy the bearing/hub as it is one whole unit for a bit over $100 on evil bay or from a store i think i had to pay about 200. but that was for the front and im not sure if the rears are the same or not, someone else might know. hope that helps

SJM38S

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Calais L67
Did my first one at work recently. Took me about an hour, including removing the hub and axle as a whole (the cv was seized into the hub, which apparently is common). Had to press the cv out, then press out old bearing and new one back in.
$700 sounds a bit rough, but the diff oil is filled for life and not cheap, so if they had a full diff oil change included that may take it closer?
Hope this helps.

T_Spargo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks heaps guys,

It's booked in for tomorrow :/ They were supposed to call me to tell me the price but I had to call them, I guess that's why.
Will call some other places tomorrow and see what they can do for me :)

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
As above the front isnt the same as the rear, rear takes longer.

With the right tools you can press the axle out of the hub on the car removing the need to remove it from the diff and lose any fluid.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
is your mechanic a holden dealer or a backyard 'expert' ?
I had the exact same job done by Holden about 18 months ago and they charged me about $350 from memory, plus or minus maybe 20 bucks...
I doubt their price would have doubled since then so get a quote from your local dealer. They quoted the job over the phone ( which took about 30seconds ) before i booked it in and they charged me exactly what they quoted. Ended up taking them a day and a half cos they say they were missing a seal in the original kit LOL but since then its run quiet as a mouse the last 25000k's.
Diff oil don't cost $350 !!..... so yeah get yourself another quote : )

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
There is no seal in the kit?

T_Spargo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
They're a Holden dealer, I think it's because I'm in a smallish town

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Ring a few other dealers to get the lowest price then ring back and ask why the price is so much higher than everywhere else.