Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve rear wheel bearing

damirdagsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
had my wheel bearing replaced today on my 07 Ve ss after 75000km. I am less than impressed. I have no idea where or who has made this bearing but im tipping its not a Timken or skf bearing. The raceway has bad pitting on it and a rather large divot. Apart from the 300 i shelled out to have it fixed, im also dissapointed that i had to buy the same crap quality bearing directly from holden as there is no after market bearings for this model at this time. So if anyone experiences a humming noise throughout there car have someone check tyres and wheel bearings. If you suspect a wheel bearing, drive your car at 100km and swirve left and right. When i swirved to the right the noise was gone temporarily. That apparantly is due to the reduced load on that wheel bearing..This is a good diagnostic tool however make sure there are no cops around. cheers

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
I've got 77000 on the clock, so I'll pay attention: thankyou.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
i needed one at 135000, It was also the rear drivers side. It always seems to be that side, no idea why tho ?

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
god i hope this isnt another "subaru wheel bearing" issue :(. just type that into Google and see how many hits you get!
after I bought my forrester I very quickly found out nearly every single owner out there in internet land has issues with rear wheel bearings due to poor quality crap being installed at factory. they barely last 100,000km. subaru wont acknowledge problem here (in US there's a free fix!), but will happily charge customers $1200 to change just TWO rear ones! thank god Bob Jane charged me only $395.

you 100% that there isnt an aftermarket option for VE's?
if out of warranty, I wouldnt even bother asking stealerships to fix anything.... they dont exactly have competitive pricing for things like this.

krutch007

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE FE2
I've just had to replace mine at 110,000km. Interesting its driver side rear, the housing was collapsed, in half. The bearings looks ok. Going to chase up new housing/bearing assembly tomorrow. Lucky the wheel didn't fall off....

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
there would be an aftermarket bearing for it, take the old one into a bearing supplier and get it matched, havent had to do any of these yet, seen ve's with over 130,000 km's on them now and no problems, out of curiosity, whos had a problem and are you a city or country driver?

glenn l

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve sv6
tried getting one last month and no one has them after market yet, the rear wheel bearing has a magnetic strip in one side of the bearing in the seal for the abs sensor.

JD 6L SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6L M6
Hey I had my rear passenger side bearing go at around 70,000 so atleast I know thats somewhat normal - Was pretty stunned when I found out! :hmmm:

Covered by warranty so thats all good, but to my knowledge there is no aftermarket ones..

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
My car was a country - Highway car and the bearing went at 135000