Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE recall

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
mongoose3800 said:
What a stupid (maybe gullible) statement. I'm guessing they never tested VN's or VT's. At their time of launch the same boasting about quality and testing went on. Yet, we all know that S1 VN's and VT's were far from faultless when released. And, they were partly based on an already proven product. And we all know about the disastrous FORD EA's which bragged about quality on their release. Look at any car manufacturer and you'll get the same story. Now we are looking at a clean sheet car. Just because they tested for "millions" of Kilometres doesn't mean the car will be faultless. You have to remember that the testing was done on cars that were hand built especially for testing. In all that testing last minute changes are made just before production. How much testing do you think they really could do in that short amount of time? Not much. So, in effect the testing continues with the S1 models and their buyers. If you're happy to be the mule that suffers these problems good for you. But, to claim you can apply all the S2 updates is just as stupid as updates can not always be applied to S1 models - at least not cheaply.

I agree with you mate. You have to remember that Holden test a few cars but not every car that comes down the line will be the same. Certain parts will fail at different times. Also Holden will decide on whether, problems that the car encounters during testing will be worth getting a more expensive part or replace it under warranty as it could be considered a "cost save". Another point is that parts come from suppliers and while a part might be within speck simple production issues on those parts might bring in a faulty batch and that could take close to a year to rectify. There are that many variables that Holden (also Ford) cant control, you just hope that the dealer isn't a dik and will help rectify the problem should it arise.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
but if u have **** happen with your s1 VE wouldn't holden have to pay 4 it?
thats why there are such things as warranties!

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
You refer to late 80's and 90's cars.

People need to understand, the bar has been raised significantly in 2006. It had to in order to compete with all the foreign quality comping in.

My statement is not stupid, it's educated... Only time will tell if people start to agree.

mongoose3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1
I agree that time will tell. You say your comment is Educated? Perhaps it is but your opinion is clearly the result of you being a die hard loyal fan (to the extreme) - believing what Holden marketing is feeding you. To be truly educated it will come from experience and knowing all the hidden facts. I could show you a book from 1988(Project VN) that would have you believing the VN was the best thing since sliced bread. It even claims major advances in paint technology. We all know better. You could almost say that half the marketing at the time was a pack of lies. But at the time people believed the hype. Come in suckers! In years to come we may also know better about the VE. I actually hope I am wrong but I think it is nigh on impossible for a small operation like Holden to pump out a product like this with out some faults. There have been faults with just about every Commodore model. Some just weren't fixed. After all, what’s a Commodore that doesn't leak oil.

Yes, the bar has been lifted in 2006. This is certainly evident in the strength of the body. Holden may have had more money than before but if you rule out inflation the money figure is probably not as impressive. No matter how you look at it they had a certain budget and would have had to cut costs somewhere. eg they carried over the 4 speed gearbox and indicator stalks and they sourced cheaper parts from OS. I've only had a quick sit in a VE and already found one weakness - the handbrake leaver. In the demos I looked at the top cover on two cars had popped lose. One would not pop back down whilst the other would easily pop back up after being pressed back down. And, from what I could see it would be rather easy to break any of the others. Does this seem like the result of good testing and the bar being lifted. No. This should have been picked up in testing and rectified. Have a look at the tacky door handles inside as well. Would you say the hopeless stickers on the poorly moulded and finished door handles are the result of raising the bar. I wouldn't - to me they degrade the look of the interior. The last Car I owned with stickers on the door locks was a 1978 Gemini. Check out other loose fitting panels on the interior and then ask yourself the same question about raising the bar.

Over the past few years you'll see that quite a few car manufacturers recalled their cars. And some of these manufacturers have a higher standing than Holden. So don't be so blind as to think that things are designed and built better in 2006. They are in fact designed and built to much finer tolerances with ease of manufacture and cost taken into account like never before. Like all new technology they will have teething problems. These cars maybe leading edge technology. The more common term is Bleeding Edge technology as you wear the pain of pioneering new technology. Don't try to use the covered by warranty line either. It is all too easy for a manufacturer to claim something is normal operation if it's not an actual mechanical failure. So to all those buyers of the new VE - good luck - In a way I envy you! I just hope Holden really have lived up to their claims this time.

blackahcdx

Reaction score
this particular falut (the seatbelts) was only in a certain muber of cars, and they were all fixed by dealers before the Monday 14th release date.

Not A recall in my opinion.

Build and bridge and move on