Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Rims on a VT or VX - Guide

nathan173

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
Hello, just posting my method for anyone silly enough to give it a go.

For anyone not familiar, there is a 2mm or so lip in the centre bore of the wheel that needs to be machined out.
I've seen some horrifyingly butchered rims that were hacked out with a dremel tool and used the VT 12mm wheel nuts which do not fit properly in the 14mm holes. But that being said the owner used them for 100,000K's and didn't have any problems.

I don't know how legal it is to have these wheels machined, I will leave that up to you to find out.

First things first, pay the money to get them professionally lathed.
Secondly, pay the money to get them professionally lathed!
Thirdly buy the correct wheel nuts: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112206932107

I live in a small town far enough away from anywhere useful and don't follow directions well, so I did it another way.

I used a router and trimming router bits like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/262794831618
I ended up needing 4 in total as they wear slightly and I found fresh bits cut a fraction deeper which is necessary.
I am aware they are wood bits, but they worked perfectly for me on aluminium, naturally you should take proper precautions and wear safety gear.

I recommend cleaning the inside bore of the wheel with some fine sand paper, jack your car up and take off the back wheel, clean its hub with a wire brush so there is no flaky rust getting in your way. You will need to check the proper fit with your cars wheel hub.

Routing from the back of the wheel is easy because their is a large flat surface to work with, you will need to line up the bearing with the wheels inner bore, past the lip. Double check it each time.
Make sure not to tilt the router towards the outside because it could gouge the bore if you are not careful. Also watch out for swarf, stop and give it a clean every now and then or it will get in the way of your machining.

One of my rims was spot on first go, the other 3 required a bit of fine sandpaper and a few more runs with the router to get right. I put this down to different lathes in the factory.

They should fit on the hub without any pressure needed, mine all came up a better fit (not as loose) than my original VX alloys.

Odh0njx52i5s980okKsIV-zAQbDvB5CmjnZw44hyH6Lco01i8_o2oBR1omdAKJequ2ZPmOLlCLcVKmRtiUrvqXd3QmO5bmpCcwi7ag=w1680-h1050-rw-no

PTPlmwNyVQAxib5UuipjqQq0sqap4dsTT5tP_DS1Tf4DWEsY1vKw8_xbeH1Vm3XBp_b0RxtnrS4Sud4L63wlDhBUFD_wzN7Hp309AQ=w1680-h1050-rw-no