Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve S1 - S2 wiring help

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
im just wondering if anyone has any info or know of a write up in regards to re wiring a series 2 iq unit into a series 1 ? cheers

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
thanks mate , i tried pming you because i was reading back through your old posts but it wouldnt let me contact you . so to clarify , with re configuring the wiring am i just changing a few wired on the pins so that they sit in the right spot as far as each wires purpose corresponding with each car ? any help appreciated

Last edited:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, I turned off the pm function because 99% of the time I get asked the exact same questions over and over again.

When those questions are posted on the forums, it means that I only have to answer the question once, and anyone else with the same question will be able to search find both the question, and solution, without having to trouble anybody.

(I know it sounds strange, but typically that is the reason for forums. Post up questions and have them answered by more than the one person)

As for the IQ wiring, it comes down to whatever is easiest for you at the time.
You might want to contact Doubledip from ultimate conversions wiring, as he has a pre made wiring adaptor which connects to your cars stock series I radio connector, and then connects to the IQ unit, with all the required pins and such swapped over.
It means that the end result is much neater, and there is less chance of getting something wrong and destroying something (such as the Bluetooth mic, or the IQ unit itself).

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
So to clarify, you will need to either Repin, or cut wiring, and reconnect the wiring to match the IQ units wiring.

Be prepared to do a lot of changes to the vehicles wiring, as from memory, only the speaker connectors match up.

Everything else pretty much needs to be re-pinned / rewired.
My advice is to take your time with this one !
Check and double check every connection either with a multimeter, and verify everything before connecting the IQ unit.

(If your IQ unit is already programmed up, then I would say this is going to be a full weekend jobbie to remove your existing unit, rewire, fit the IQ unit, and then finally test everything.

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
thanks for the info .

so really it should only be a few wires that need rewiring ? iv installed the whole new fascia and unit . iv noticed all the audio cables seam correct which is a fair few cables , so really i just need to compare the others and just mix and match to suit ?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Ummm not exactly.

When I say be prepared to do a fair bit of wiring changes to get the IQ unit to work, I do actually mean what I said.

The speakers are only 8 connections (out of 30 connections that you will need to modify or cut)

What needs to be wired up is
Power and ground (4 wires)
Can bus (only one wire, but you must get this one correct !)
Bluetooth (you will need to bypass your Bluetooth module and connect directly to the mic)
Axillary inputs (such as the 3.5mm jack, rear audio inputs)

Then any unused wires should be cut, just in case they do strange things to the IQ unit.

Again, take your time with this one, as it is very very easy to screw things up :)

Ripper_017

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE
okay maybe more then i thought . i purely thought it was only the wires running from the big harness connecting to the side of the head unit . damn starting to sound confusing , wish there was someone with a write up .

im more or less confused with these other plugs , as i have looked around and i can see the main harness which connects in on the right hand side . the left hand side has the gps plug , and a tcm splitter , arial . so i am assuming anything else lying around near is what your talking about ?

iv done enough installs over the years with audio , i did want to try attempt this and get it wired up myself just for the fun of it and try save a bit of coin . but it is sounding a little tricky now

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Yeah, a write up is pretty difficult for this, as there is really a lot involved, not just in terms of wiring, but as you would have found out by now, physically removing the old, and fitting the new head unit can be a little tricky the first time you do things.

Also, very few people have performed this upgrade, and very few of those people that have have shared information. (With the exception of doubledip, whom has been a big help to me).

My suggestion is to print out the above wiring guides, and work out what wires you need, and what ones you don't.
Think of the wiring as the same as wiring a top end head unit, that has connections for reverse camera, power antenna, handbrake, amp enable, reverse gear, etc and that you are replacing one brand with a completely different brand.
Even thought the plugs will physically fit each other, the pins are completely different.

If you wanted to make things easy for yourself, find the power and can bus wires, connect those up properly, and cut the rest.
That will get the head unit up and running, and then you can proceed to wire up the extra bits at your own lesure.

Finally, I noticed that you have a sat nav model.
You will probably want to look at fitting a series ii cluster at some point in time, as the sat nav prompts get corrupted on series I clusters to the point that it will p!$$ you off no end.
(Think speed camera, school zone and cluster nav alerts, they change the cluster display constantly, requiring you to press the Trip button to return to whatever mode you were using before.

These IQ upgrades can get pretty expensive pretty quickly :(