Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE S2 REDLINE,16 wks for cable harness replace, 1 hr on road bent pushrod

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
We don't know if the OP mentioned he was bouncing off the limiter.
First post..
… driving to work, car seems fine, few km down the road check engine, contact dealer on the dash, throttle seems to stick when foot taken off accelerator, press clutch to change down (niiingggggningggggggniiiing) car starts revving it’s tits off like I’m sitting on accelerator while clutching haha, get to the traffic lights, take it out of gear, she still revevving, pulled over when it was safe, 750M up the road, no signs of cylinder missfire, no ticks. Turn engine off, give it a couple minutes, turn it over, goes away. I continue to drive to work...
I‘d guess saying “niiingggggningggggggniiiing” means he’s bouncing off the rev limiter.

If any engine noises were apparent after the restart, I’d have not driven and flat bedded the car to a mechanic.

In any case it’s the dealer service who are the professionals and must diagnose correctly, not just throw parts at it… as we know they often do…

In this case it’s obvious the dealer service missed something since the engine lunched the cam after leaving their workshop… To me it seemed they missed diagnosing some damage that had occured earlier and sent OP off with a lighter wallet.

So instead of focusing on when that cam damage actually occurred, cause stuff happens, I‘d be focusing on the dealer incompetence. The real question becomes should the dealer service have picked up the fact the cam, lifter, pushrod were stressed during the earlier mentioned bounding off the rev limit? I’d think the car would have made some squeaks or groans after the repair and it should have been apparent there was still a problem and the engine checked and the problem identified.

As is, OP has said he never had oil puddles under his car and it has been well maintained by yne dealer, yhen yne service manager changed… So it seems a little odd that dealers talked only of a damaged oil soaked harness, had him waiting 10 weeks for parts and didn’t offer other alternatives to get him back on the road. And they changed the ECU and key (key barrel?).

To me it looks like yet another case of poor service where the OP was seen as mechanically ignorant and the cash cow of the month :rolleyes: and some suspicion we are not being told everything :p

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Or cause damage to a wiring harness, unless it was 400mls per week, for 12 months...

400mls pumped out of the oil pressure sensor would make a huge mess at the rear of the engine, firewall, bell housing and leave a fair puddle on the ground.

Something dodgy about this thread, maybe it's the alleged dealer, or maybe its something else...
Yes, a small amount of oil over a long time would cause wiring damage and oil puddles and such telltale signs at home. But the OP said no puddles at home (presumably preceding this drama) so we have to take him at his word which means it wasn’t a long time leak…

After all, it could have been an oil pressure sensor failure which occurred on his way to work on the day of question and it was that event that caused 400mls of oil to be pumped out over the motor and firewall and presumably left a puddle at the lights, down the road… at work and at home…

I suspect the dealer is playing games and simply lying which I have experienced before. That’s why I’d have wanted to inspect the damage and oil soaked wiring first hand before approving the repairs. Me, I’d have popped the bonnet when this issue occurred and likely towed to a car was to clean all that new oil from within the engine bay and have a good look at what’s going on… But we don’t know whether OP looked under the bonnet nor what mechanical aptitude he has past filling the tank with fuel.

But likely we are not being told everything as it’s probably a game in progress.

Oddly, it almost seems like members are defensive of the Holden dealers and their sensibilities but I’m sure they have thick skin being how they are perceived as an industry sector by the public…

Meh, I’m just interested to know how this turns out…

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
First post..
I‘d guess saying “niiingggggningggggggniiiing” means he’s bouncing off the rev limiter.

If any engine noises were apparent after the restart, I’d have not driven and flat bedded the car to a mechanic.

In any case it’s the dealer service who are the professionals and must diagnose correctly, not just throw parts at it… as we know they often do…

In this case it’s obvious the dealer service missed something since the engine lunched the cam after leaving their workshop… To me it seemed they missed diagnosing some damage that had occured earlier and sent OP off with a lighter wallet.

So instead of focusing on when that cam damage actually occurred, cause stuff happens, I‘d be focusing on the dealer incompetence. The real question becomes should the dealer service have picked up the fact the cam, lifter, pushrod were stressed during the earlier mentioned bounding off the rev limit? I’d think the car would have made some squeaks or groans after the repair and it should have been apparent there was still a problem and the engine checked and the problem identified.

As is, OP has said he never had oil puddles under his car and it has been well maintained by yne dealer, yhen yne service manager changed… So it seems a little odd that dealers talked only of a damaged oil soaked harness, had him waiting 10 weeks for parts and didn’t offer other alternatives to get him back on the road. And they changed the ECU and key (key barrel?).

To me it looks like yet another case of poor service where the OP was seen as mechanically ignorant and the cash cow of the month :rolleyes: and some suspicion we are not being told everything :p

Yes, the OP said to us he bounced it off the limiter, but did he tell the dealer.....Then you have the dealers suspicious mind working overtime thinking yeah, I've heard that before if they were told about the bouncing.

Yes, hearing some noises coming from a motor, I'd be flat bedding it....But continue driving it says more damage can and does occur, so points to the OP's fault....

The misfire scenario....That's really interesting....OP mentions he isn't sure if it is running right or not, but chooses to take the car on a wing and a prayer....Surely, you can tell if a car isn't running right or not? In the case of doubt, do you just drive off and hope for the best? Not me...I seriously doubt you would either.

The key issue...I honestly read it as the OP got over zealous, trying to start the car, damaging the key....

So maybe we should find out how long this oil pressure switch was leaking....This might provide some answers to this mystery.

Gotta_Drive_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 HSV Clubsport R8 LS3 E3
Sorry guys but it seems to me most of us are missing something here. I've had two oil pressure switches go faulty in two different makes and models and both times the dash let me know with "check engine". No strange noises or problems running. Take it straight to my mechanic, about 2km, he plugs it in, code says oil pressure, I buy new switch and install (pain in the ass on a svz wagon), problem gone!
Surely if oil was leaking through the switch there had to be a warning when it started! It couldn't have leaked long enough to bugger the wiring without some warning.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry guys but it seems to me most of us are missing something here.
It seems to me there are two trains of though. One train of thought being owner neglect in ignoring long term oil leak (not so likely from what’s been said) and driving the car while it was making bad noises which caused lifter and cam damage (possible) and the other train of thought is a dealer who probably changed parts that may not have needed to be changed (likely) and missed diagnosing internal engine damage (lifter, cam and pushrod) and let owner drive off causing more catastrophic damage(possible).

Thing is we can’t solve it here without detailed chronological info from the owner and even then remote diagnosis is extremely difficult. What we do know is the key/barrel didn’t need to be changed along with the ECU… and that driving a car which makes strange noises isn’t a great idea :p

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
the other train of thought is a dealer who probably changed parts that may not have needed to be changed (likely)

Oh, YES ............. I used to get my newer cars serviced by a Holden dealer as per the owners manual, because they know what they are doing :).
That is until you have a problem, and "there are no codes, so we replaced the Flux Capacitor and that should fix it. Parts and labour , one million dollars, thanks"
And then the problem is still there, or they have stuffed something else while trying The Fix. :mad:
And dealers wondered why they lost customers.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Oh, YES ............. I used to get my newer cars serviced by a Holden dealer as per the owners manual, because they know what they are doing :).
That is until you have a problem, and "there are no codes, so we replaced the Flux Capacitor and that should fix it. Parts and labour , one million dollars, thanks"
And then the problem is still there, or they have stuffed something else while trying The Fix. :mad:
And dealers wondered why they lost customers.
Stealerships (actually all mechanics) should have their parts cannons confiscated. That shite belongs to us amateurs who don’t have a full workshop with technical equipment at our disposal!

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
actually all mechanics) should have their parts cannons confiscated
there are some circumstances where you need to replace a part to prove or disprove
i keep a lot of faulty parts with the known fault written on them to use for diagnostics
but customer should not pay for un-needed parts