Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE S2 REDLINE,16 wks for cable harness replace, 1 hr on road bent pushrod

2010SSVREDLINE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II REDLINE
What it is that I want; a Second optioned, parts that have been removed by mechanic to be inspected, old harness inspected etc. I want to know what has caused the issue, not blame somebody else for “driving with low oil” which DID NOT HAPPEN. the service 2ic, said only 400ml was LOST from the motor, out of the entire tank full. Car was stilll in “serviceable” amounts when it went in with the first initial problem. Stop saying I drove it with low oil. This DID NOT happen.

2010SSVREDLINE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES II REDLINE
Yeah and don't reckon I'd be paying $130 an hour to have it torn down only to find out it's too expensive to fix. I'd be talking to the supervisor and seeing what deal they can do on a crate engine. No doubt Holden Service and Spares can buy one cheaper than we can.
Hey mate, have you read the posts thoroughly? Recommended upgrade everything, get rid of dod/ performance upgrade jt, nothing heavy, just mild performance , cam etc, brand of choice from service 2ic Harrop

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Hey mate, have you read the posts thoroughly? Recommended upgrade everything, get rid of dod/ performance upgrade jt, nothing heavy, just mild performance , cam etc, brand of choice from service 2ic Harrop
Yep been trying to keep up with most of the thread. Have you been given a quote to do all this work, or have I missed that part?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I really doubt loss of 400mls would cause pushrod or cam damage. Hitting the rev limiter (due to electrical fault) may indeed cause such damage.

The issue as I see it is why didn’t the dealer service indemnify the pushrod, cam and follower issues and simply settle on the loom and I think later the ECU? Surely all damage that occurred should have been able to be identified by their experts, especially if OP indicated the engine was bouncing off the rev limit at the lights without accelerator input :rolleyes:

To me it seems poor service standards may be partly at play. Harness oil damage is a long term thing and doesn’t occur from just one incident. Interestingly GM’s global recommendation (is for harness repair rather than costly replacement but I guess that Holden dealer doesn’t read Techline Connect and missed that article…and probably an associated service bulletin.

We already suspect the dealer profited by changing a key/lock when it seems like wasn’t really required, so what else have they been doing to profit at tne expense of the OP?

Time will tell where this ends up but I wouldn’t be holding my breath or going back to that dealer and paying them for any repair.

To me that dealers behaviour seems less than honourable by having the OP’s car off the road for so long (10 weeks) when a suggestion of a second hand loom from a wrecker would cost bupkis, resolved the problem (atleast part of it) and seen him back on the road much sooner saving him considerable hire car costs. But they wouldn’t have gotten the markup on that new loom and ECU…

Interestingly, when I bought my Holden, the first visit at the dealer saw an old bloke being explained why he needed to spend $$$ on his stretched V6 chain. The only missing bit of the explanation being that it’s a known defect and that it should have been repaired gratis by Holden. Really, let’s not forget dealer service can be laying self serving cnuts.

Some dealers have integrity and provide good service but they seen the exception to the rule of screwing the customer :eek:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I really doubt loss of 400mls would cause pushrod or cam damage.
Or cause damage to a wiring harness, unless it was 400mls per week, for 12 months...

400mls pumped out of the oil pressure sensor would make a huge mess at the rear of the engine, firewall, bell housing and leave a fair puddle on the ground.

Something dodgy about this thread, maybe it's the alleged dealer, or maybe its something else...

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220413-000339_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220413-000339_Chrome.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 118
  • L77MANUAL~2.jpg
    L77MANUAL~2.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I really doubt loss of 400mls would cause pushrod or cam damage. Hitting the rev limiter (due to electrical fault) may indeed cause such damage.

The issue as I see it is why didn’t the dealer service indemnify the pushrod, cam and follower issues and simply settle on the loom and I think later the ECU? Surely all damage that occurred should have been able to be identified by their experts, especially if OP indicated the engine was bouncing off the rev limit at the lights without accelerator input :rolleyes:

To me it seems poor service standards may be partly at play. Harness oil damage is a long term thing and doesn’t occur from just one incident. Interestingly GM’s global recommendation (is for harness repair rather than costly replacement but I guess that Holden dealer doesn’t read Techline Connect and missed that article…and probably an associated service bulletin.

We already suspect the dealer profited by changing a key/lock when it seems like wasn’t really required, so what else have they been doing to profit at tne expense of the OP?

Time will tell where this ends up but I wouldn’t be holding my breath or going back to that dealer and paying them for any repair.

To me that dealers behaviour seems less than honourable by having the OP’s car off the road for so long (10 weeks) when a suggestion of a second hand loom from a wrecker would cost bupkis, resolved the problem (atleast part of it) and seen him back on the road much sooner saving him considerable hire car costs. But they wouldn’t have gotten the markup on that new loom and ECU…

Interestingly, when I bought my Holden, the first visit at the dealer saw an old bloke being explained why he needed to spend $$$ on his stretched V6 chain. The only missing bit of the explanation being that it’s a known defect and that it should have been repaired gratis by Holden. Really, let’s not forget dealer service can be laying self serving cnuts.

Some dealers have integrity and provide good service but they seen the exception to the rule of screwing the customer :eek:

We don't know if the OP mentioned he was bouncing off the limiter.

The lifter seizing....If the car was running fine, which appears it was when it left, how could one know it was going to fail?

Don't think it's normal practice for a dealership to fit 2nd hand parts however the wait period was a little to long waiting for the parts

Honestly, this whole thread sounds a little suspicious on a few fronts

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
What it is that I want; a Second optioned, parts that have been removed by mechanic to be inspected, old harness inspected etc. I want to know what has caused the issue, not blame somebody else for “driving with low oil” which DID NOT HAPPEN. the service 2ic, said only 400ml was LOST from the motor, out of the entire tank full. Car was stilll in “serviceable” amounts when it went in with the first initial problem. Stop saying I drove it with low oil. This DID NOT happen.

Instead of having blinkers on, focusing on the final portion of when the damage happened, why don't you open your mind up and think about the days/weeks.months before the damage happened (yes that's the time you actually drove the car before the wiring issue) and how the oil loss could have started the chain of events that have lead up to the damage....That also includes the loss of oil pressure that has been mentioned...