Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE S2 Windscreen Plenum

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Hi All
So I need a new windscreen fitted on my VE series 2 due to a rock thown up by a passing truck, Thanks Mate.
Since Ive had the car Its had the issue of the plastic plenum and the bottom of the windscreen where the wiper arms are installed through always coming away from the glass. I keep pushing it down but it never stays down . This only happens on the Drivers side half
Question, when I get my new windscreen fitted should I get the plenum removed at the same time to ensure it gets popped back down properly?
I guess that it may have had a windscreem change some time ago and was never installed properly. This will involve removing the wiper arms.
I also notice the rubber on the plenum is a bit weathered.
Anyone else had this issue or know if the plenum should be removed to replace a windscreen PROPERLY.
Cheers

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Our VE S2 has exactly the same problem, pops out about 5-8mm off the winsdscreen and a simple press back in beds it back, but you know it's only a matter of time before its moving out again. I took delivery of mine with 3.0km on the clock, so I know it's not had it's screen replaced (unless at the factory). My E3 Clubby doesn't show this same characteristic. It's never bothered me enough to do anything about it.

I could runa bead of silicone under the plastic and weight it down for 24 hours, but I'm not worried about it.

Maybe ask the fitter if they're aware of the problem and can they address it with the repair.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
When a new windscreen is fitted, the fitter has to remove the entire plastic plenum. When it is refitted, after the new windscreen is installed, they generally use new scrivets which seems to solve the problem. I know when mine was replaced, I had to also purchase the vertical plastic side strips for the windscreen as the old ones wouldn't stick down properly.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
When a new windscreen is fitted, the fitter has to remove the entire plastic plenum. When it is refitted, after the new windscreen is installed, they generally use new scrivets which seems to solve the problem. I know when mine was replaced, I had to also purchase the vertical plastic side strips for the windscreen as the old ones wouldn't stick down properly.
So the wiper arms must also come also yeah? I spoke to my mechanic and he said most windscreen installers just slide the screen down behind the plastic plenum. Seems rough as how would it be sealed properly at the base?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi All
So I need a new windscreen fitted on my VE series 2 due to a rock thown up by a passing truck, Thanks Mate.
Since Ive had the car Its had the issue of the plastic plenum and the bottom of the windscreen where the wiper arms are installed through always coming away from the glass. I keep pushing it down but it never stays down . This only happens on the Drivers side half
Question, when I get my new windscreen fitted should I get the plenum removed at the same time to ensure it gets popped back down properly?
I guess that it may have had a windscreem change some time ago and was never installed properly. This will involve removing the wiper arms.
I also notice the rubber on the plenum is a bit weathered.
Anyone else had this issue or know if the plenum should be removed to replace a windscreen PROPERLY.
Cheers
I actually have all this off now. I can get some photos tomorrow for you.

The cowling is straight forward but it is also a tricky mofo.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The side strips are quite cheap to buy new from Holden and finish off the job nicely.

VE_WagonII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
That would be great. I'd really like to get the cowl off before the windscreen fiitter comes around. I suppose one tricky job would be reinstalling the wiper arms to ensure they are in the correct spot. In the VE repair manual there must be some measurements for where the blades should sit on the glass
I actually have all this off now. I can get some photos tomorrow for you.

The cowling is straight forward but it is also a tricky mofo.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Removing the cowling, you are likely to break some clips. They are available from Holden. Not expensive.

Good chance to remove the wiper motor and relube the arm joints. Get the vacuum out and clean all the leaves out of the gaps.

Of note also is there are two windscreens available. The upspec models had one that also suppressed sound. A nice touch for an extra few dollars.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The two parts of it.

Attachments

• 7031EE2E-2D80-4CE5-9E63-727B163DAFC4.jpeg
    7031EE2E-2D80-4CE5-9E63-727B163DAFC4.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 955
  • 76D098AA-DC04-41C4-902C-B14C63EFE0DA.jpeg
    76D098AA-DC04-41C4-902C-B14C63EFE0DA.jpeg