Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE sadness.... electronic throttle +

br14nh

Back in the saddle....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 wagon 5sp Manual
Hey mate, hope you didnt take my previous post as being 'annoyed' as it wasnt my intention! Just trying to break things down point by point as you raised. I was just trying to convey my experiences as a direct comparison to each point you made, to highlight that I think it's more the exception than the norm that all these issues exist on every VE. Obviously people have personal preferences and all, and that's cool. But I just dont want anyone else reading this thread (who may be considering a VE to buy) to be swayed too much by what's been said. At least test drive the car and give it a chance.... especially the SIDI's. You wont look back, seriously.

Not a problem at all, and I appreciate the feedback. I just thought I may have come over as being a bit narky in my original post. It's good to know that there are plenty of satisfied customers out there, it also helps to restore my faith in the model. I guess the message for private buyers is that if there are problems with an individual car, hound the dealer mercilessly.... as mine's a work vehicle, I don't really have the option to tailor it to my liking. :(

I would be interested in knowing how the actual manual versions cope with "fly by wire" throttles... (if I was buying, it would have to be a manual... I'm afraid I'm not normally a fan of "sludge-o-matics" ;) )

Cheers,
Brian

Tony4324

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Ute Auto
Brian,

I concur with your comments.

1. I have also experienced the gearbox hunting issue. Up to three gear changes in just one roundabout.
2. Throttle lag also just a dead feel to the throttle. One throttle application it is fine next throttle application just a dead response.
3. My aircon is OK just.
4. Visibility is poor to the extent I have had a few close escapes as the approaching vehicle is hidden behind the A pillar.
5. Mine is a 2010 SV6 ute and on hilly highways it is very unpleasant handling very floaty feeling with imprecise turn into corners.
6. I also have had the gearbox just shut down mid roundabout and leave me with no drive, 4 secs later it drops back into 2nd and savagely transmits power.
7. My 2010 uses more fuel than my 2004 ute.
8. I find the power Ok but you need to "ring its neck" 4500+ RPM to get satisfactory power. Under 4500RPM it feels dead.
9. I have also been caught on the highway stuck in 6th with no down change to pass. Scary.

Comparing my 2004 ute to this 2010 I would take back my 2004 ute any day.

One unhappy owner for the money spent.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
I would be interested in knowing how the actual manual versions cope with "fly by wire" throttles

Cheers,
Brian

Don't worry mate ALL the Alloytec powered Commodores have a bit of Lag with the crappy Electronic Throttle Control setup. Some people may not notice it but anyone that has driven a VX (Cable operated throttle) and VE (ETC) back to back would know exactly what you are talking about. You do get used to it though so don't stress to much.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
I would be interested in knowing how the actual manual versions cope with "fly by wire" throttles... (if I was buying, it would have to be a manual... I'm afraid I'm not normally a fan of "sludge-o-matics" ;) )

Cheers,
Brian

I have a manual VE, with the Flybywire. Throttle response is instant, and I can happily scare passengers with it.

Only problem is, I'm not comparing apples to apples. Mine is the V8, and that could have some impact on throttle response as well.

V8Silverfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SS A4
Well i think some ppl have a problem and others dont just cant understand mine is a vess and it sometimes just doesnt no what gear to take (auto) it stutters and sometimes u put ur foot down and nothing fault was there when i drove with the service department hooked it up to the computer and said nothing wrong holden say the same thats how the car is so in other words DEAL WITH IT.
I no alot of ppl with v8 with this problem yet my mate has the same car and has never done it at all (mite swap my plates to hes). and apparently its all because theres no fly by wire all electronic simply as that.

I would have thought that all VE's have the fly-by-wire electronic throttle?

flyjoe180

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
I thought that all VE's had the FBW system too. I have no lag in my SV6.

djenka018

Reaction score
Members Ride
'07 VE Omega
I'm inclined to think that the problem is in torque converter.

If I floor the pedal, revs will skyrocket (3-4000) but the car will not feel a bit for about 1 sec.
Same thing if manually selected any gear.
The worst is if coasting at ~2000 rpm
Was like this from 1st and now with 135000th km.

Now I drive VE like a granny as terrible response to the throttle (not same as throttle response) had me in a near accident situation.

jzjunkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ss thunder
I'm inclined to think that the problem is in torque converter.

If I floor the pedal, revs will skyrocket (3-4000) but the car will not feel a bit for about 1 sec.
Same thing if manually selected any gear.
The worst is if coasting at ~2000 rpm
Was like this from 1st and now with 135000th km.

Now I drive VE like a granny as terrible response to the throttle (not same as throttle response) had me in a near accident situation.

My 2012 ve ss is FAR worse it literally hangs in 2nd gear and will not shift at all if you are in sports mode ( not manual mode) .The problem is intermittent .
twice the throttle has jammed wide open . The first time holden blamed the walkinshaw intake .But when i challenged it they repalced the thottle body and accelerator pedal sensor assembly . But it jammed again today . had to shift to neutral and shut it down .
does anyone know of this happening to other 2012 models

undy22

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VE V
i have a 06 Omega ve V and i Read this first post and I'm thinking mine has none of these ,i only have exhaust & CAI -no lag with auto gear box ,goes like a cat on fire in sports shift love it,** br14nh i hope it gets better