Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE second head unit. YES or NO?

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Hey guys dont destroy me coz i searched all forums looking for this but didnt get any real answers
Is it worth putting in a second head unit? Here is my setup
1x set of Alpine SPR-60C Type-R 6.5" 3 DAY SALE - New Alpine SPR-60C Type-R 6.5" 330 Watts 2-Way Component Speakers! | eBay
1x set of ALPINE SPR-60 TYPE-R 6.5" ALPINE SPR-60 TYPE-R 6.5" COAXIAL 2-WAY STEREO SPEAKER | eBay
I got them pretty cheap at a JB-HI sale, i have hurd they go very good. anyone had them?
Planing to run them on a amp aswell
For subs im looking for some 15" subwoofers at a good price just a waiting game now
i have heard that line converters are **** and just put a second head unit it what makes sense to do so but is it realy worth it??
Then i loose steering wheel controls and will be be annoying opening my glove box or centre console just for volume..
Its not so much the speakers sounding crap as they will be on a amp its the subwoofers sound crap as your taking signal from a speaker line
prepared todo the work and time or should i just buy a VZ because i can change the head unit

This is the way im going todo it and if anyone else is going to todo it this is MY way its not the only way, i know there is other ways but i still want steering wheel controls and be able to use the standard unit for volume plus i can play with sound setting and coming from a high-end unit it would sound way better over just using a LOC to your amp, also i can use the usb's on the back so i can charge my iphone

sound.png

Last edited:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Why would you put up the option of buying a vz just to change the head unit, that's just dumb...
Buy a processor like Alpine's PXA-H800 or Rockford's 3SIXTY if you want to keep the it stock.
By the way, why would you be worried about the sub sounding crap? The speakers would need a LOC as well.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Why would you put up the option of buying a vz just to change the head unit, that's just dumb...
Buy a processor like Alpine's PXA-H800 or Rockford's 3SIXTY if you want to keep the it stock.
By the way, why would you be worried about the sub sounding crap? The speakers would need a LOC as well.

To be honest i dont mind the VZ but would rather VE
anyways i didnt think of a sound processor, iv been searching around and thats the way to go. thanks for that bro :)
dont worry with a processor it should fix ill my problems, what you mean they will need a LOC?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
They need a LOC otherwise you want get a signal too them if you are planning on amping them

I have speakers and a sub running off a loc through my stock VZ H/U and it sounds great

However if you don't want to use a LOC have you looked into asr electronics as they do mod for the stock heady and put RCA pre-outs on it

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I don't mind the VZ either but I wouldn't buy one just to change the head unit. RCA pre-outs are a lot cheaper than processors; if you're just looking to do an average system than just get the pre-outs. I got a PXA-H800 and RUX-C800 pretty cheap.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
I don't mind the VZ either but I wouldn't buy one just to change the head unit. RCA pre-outs are a lot cheaper than processors; if you're just looking to do an average system than just get the pre-outs. I got a PXA-H800 and RUX-C800 pretty cheap.

yeah i know bro but so much for messing around for clear sound, im not looking for a avarage system ill get a processor
how does the PXA-H800 go? you can put derect wires from stock straight into the processor right? do you have to get a RUX-C800 aswell?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
I personally wouldn't be running type r's with the processor if I want a really good system, that's why I'm replacing my type r's with focal speakers.
Haven't actually installed it yet but it's just like a giant LOC. You get rca's that look like this
RFI2SW_1_m.png

One end you splice into the speaker wires and the other you connect to the processor. You don't really need the RUX-C800 that's just for on the fly adjusting.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
I personally wouldn't be running type r's with the processor if I want a really good system, that's why I'm replacing my type r's with focal speakers.
Haven't actually installed it yet but it's just like a giant LOC. You get rca's that look like this
RFI2SW_1_m.png

One end you splice into the speaker wires and the other you connect to the processor. You don't really need the RUX-C800 that's just for on the fly adjusting.

Now that makes sense, i was thinking of a different LOC
how expansive are focal speakers? have you tryed them?
when im doing my build ill message you to see how it turns out

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Depends on what set you want, can range from $200 - $5000. I'm looking to get a set of 165KRX2's for the front which are about $1000.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Depends on what set you want, can range from $200 - $5000. I'm looking to get a set of 165KRX2's for the front which are about $1000.

Hey Vongy10, Focal have just release an active 2 way set of the Be Utopia for $1400. Your using a PXA-H800, so you can run them active and you save about $1500 off the passive Utopia 2 ways. Because you don't need cross overs.