Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE second head unit. YES or NO?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Hey Vongy10, Focal have just release an active 2 way set of the Be Utopia for $1400. Your using a PXA-H800, so you can run them active and you save about $1500 off the passive Utopia 2 ways. Because you don't need cross overs.

That does sound tempting, can you show me a link to them?

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Also if I got a 3 way set would it give me more bass and where would be a good place to place the 3rd speaker, maybe cut a hole in the door trim and place it there?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I'm thinking of going the second head unit idea... The new Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit has high level input to allow it to work as a LOC/DSP and also supports Apple devices, USB flash drives and whatever else. Just not sure on install costs for the rest of the system.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
I'm thinking of going the second head unit idea... The new Pioneer DEH-80PRS head unit has high level input to allow it to work as a LOC/DSP and also supports Apple devices, USB flash drives and whatever else. Just not sure on install costs for the rest of the system.

yeah i did untill you think of the probelm with reselling it
i still want to use my wheel controls and install of reaching for your second unit
get a processor, depends on what you get you can use direct speaker lines from your stock head deck and put them straight into your proccessor then the alot of rca's inc a subwoofer jacks, proble sounds better with a proccessor then aftermarket headunit

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
I personally wouldn't be running type r's with the processor if I want a really good system, that's why I'm replacing my type r's with focal speakers.
Haven't actually installed it yet but it's just like a giant LOC. You get rca's that look like this
RFI2SW_1_m.png

One end you splice into the speaker wires and the other you connect to the processor. You don't really need the RUX-C800 that's just for on the fly adjusting.

this will work Hifonics MX-1 (mx1) Premium High-to-Low Level Converter for OEM

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
yeah i did untill you think of the probelm with reselling it
i still want to use my wheel controls and install of reaching for your second unit
get a processor, depends on what you get you can use direct speaker lines from your stock head deck and put them straight into your proccessor then the alot of rca's inc a subwoofer jacks, proble sounds better with a proccessor then aftermarket headunit
Except the secondary head unit in this case is a high end head unit with high level inputs and with similar EQ features as a processor. It does everything the processor does plus allows you to plug in two USB devices, a SD card, stream Bluetooth audio to it and is probably cheaper. You would still use the stock unit for volume and CD (if you wanted), radio, etc, just like a processor and steering wheel controls would still be used. I'm not seeing a downside...

This unit does allow external remote input too though so it can be connected to the steering wheel controls.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Also if I got a 3 way set would it give me more bass and where would be a good place to place the 3rd speaker, maybe cut a hole in the door trim and place it there?

If you ask questions like this then you are not knowledgeable enough to be screwing around with a 3-way front stage. If you really want it, pay someone to install and tune it correctly.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
You learn by asking questions, never came across a 3 way set up before.

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Except the secondary head unit in this case is a high end head unit with high level inputs and with similar EQ features as a processor. It does everything the processor does plus allows you to plug in two USB devices, a SD card, stream Bluetooth audio to it and is probably cheaper. You would still use the stock unit for volume and CD (if you wanted), radio, etc, just like a processor and steering wheel controls would still be used. I'm not seeing a downside...

This unit does allow external remote input too though so it can be connected to the steering wheel controls.

im guessing you mean the Pioneer DEH-7450SD eBay: Pioneer DEH-7450SD
thats the australian one, its not really cheaper its about the same for a decent one, yeah it has some features but i dont see how i can use my stock unit for volume? please explane, i ahve looked at the product but cant see anything saying i can?
its would be better signal but not worth it if i cant use steering wheel controls in my eyes when it comes to sale time or for my use

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Hey Vongy10, Focal have just release an active 2 way set of the Be Utopia for $1400. Your using a PXA-H800, so you can run them active and you save about $1500 off the passive Utopia 2 ways. Because you don't need cross overs.

That does sound tempting, can you show me a link to them?

They're not on focals website yet I've only got them in a printed brochure. A focal 3 way set is probably over the top and stupidly expensive as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 276