Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE second head unit. YES or NO?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
You learn by asking questions, never came across a 3 way set up before.
Doing research goes a long way too. Exactly why you shouldn't touch one until you have more knowledge, far too advanced.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Doing research goes a long way too. Exactly why you shouldn't touch one until you have more knowledge, far too advanced.

Only saw a picture. Thought it was 2 woofers and a tweeter.

brooksy1290

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 manaro body kit
buy a rockford 3 sixty straight out got 1 in my ve sv6 top range pioneer speakers made all the difference awsome sound bit of a bitch to set up though but worth the effort

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
im guessing you mean the Pioneer DEH-7450SD eBay: Pioneer DEH-7450SD
thats the australian one, its not really cheaper its about the same for a decent one, yeah it has some features but i dont see how i can use my stock unit for volume? please explane, i ahve looked at the product but cant see anything saying i can?
its would be better signal but not worth it if i cant use steering wheel controls in my eyes when it comes to sale time or for my use
I said the model number in my first post... DEH-80PRS. It's not on the Australian website yet but it is on the US website here. I think it's about $699 RRP but you never pay RRP.

You can use the steering wheel controls for the standard unit for volume, etc or you can have the secondary head unit wired so the steering wheel controls control it. It can always be reversed when selling the car.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
They're not on focals website yet I've only got them in a printed brochure. A focal 3 way set is probably over the top and stupidly expensive as well.

Oh rightio. Yea wasn't really thinking about the 3 way set, an extra $600 just for a little speaker. I'm going to use a JL Audio HD600/4 or a Focal FPS 4.160 so I'd need to go with the passive ones don't I?

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
buy a rockford 3 sixty straight out got 1 in my ve sv6 top range pioneer speakers made all the difference awsome sound bit of a bitch to set up though but worth the effort

yeah 360 looks good but it only has one sub sub port? shouldnt there be a left and right for sub?

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
I said the model number in my first post... DEH-80PRS. It's not on the Australian website yet but it is on the US website here. I think it's about $699 RRP but you never pay RRP.

You can use the steering wheel controls for the standard unit for volume, etc or you can have the secondary head unit wired so the steering wheel controls control it. It can always be reversed when selling the car.

they are the same unit mate..
it doesnt say you can do that anywhere, read everwhere about it cant see how it will work with my standed unit? i may aswell use a cheaper deck then

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
it doesnt say you can do that anywhere, read everwhere about it cant see how it will work with my standed unit? i may aswell use a cheaper deck then

You can buy adapters for aftermarket headunits so that the steering controls can communicate to them. The change can then be reversed by returning the wiring to its original configuration.

ALTERNATIVELY, with a little bit of modification you could extend the IR on the remote that comes with the headunit with a bit of wire, feed it into the glove box so that you can remotely control the headunit for minimal costs.

With all the screwing around, please don't waste it on sub-par components. Get decent speakers from respected brands like Focal, Morel, Crescendo, DLS, Polk Audio and so on.
With mainstream brands like Alpine, you pay for the brand name on the box, not the quality of the components.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Sorry, I didn't bother looking at your link because the model number is wrong. It's not actually the same unit, take some time to compare specs, specifically the EQ section.

Read the manual for the DEH-80PRS and you'll see the part where it has an RCA input on the rear which has a switch near it that you can set to HIGH or LOW level input. Obviously low level input is just an RCA device, high level input is speaker level input from a stock head unit.

Last edited:

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Sorry, I didn't bother looking at your link because the model number is wrong. It's not actually the same unit, take some time to compare specs, specifically the EQ section.

Read the manual for the DEH-80PRS and you'll see the part where it has an RCA input on the rear which has a switch near it that you can set to HIGH or LOW level input. Obviously low level input is just an RCA device, high level input is speaker level input from a stock head unit.

so this headunit has inputs so i can use the holden oem unit for volume? it pretty well can be used as a tuner and RCA out put??