Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE secrets revealed

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
andrewmac said:
The falcon uses a claimed 10.9 L/100km in auto since the BF upgrade so the alloytech still uses a touch more.
The VE is coming into the market against an very succesful falcon and as you said going against the aurion which is going to come out swinging, and i belive it will be a big competitor against Holden and Ford (i dont think that the 380 is really a competitor now its fallen too far behind).
So it will be interesting to see what Ford and Toyota will do to compete and see what Holden will do to counter.

The BA/F is about as successful as Ford could ever expect considering the rubbish AU series. Trouble is that it's now an old design and nothing of note has changed in quite a while in the styling of the car. Unfortunatly they will be behind the 8 ball till the new model arrives and then will be playing catchup again.

Reaper

S

Stoney!

1991_Vn2nV said:
Woah i copped some crap on the 3rd page...I didnt see it til just now searching for where that price came from on the post above. Rather than pollute the thread by re-igniting an old argument, i have typed my response in a document to those who gave me crap. Feel free to pm me if you wanna argue it further, rather than once again turn this thread into a diesel v petrol argument. Attachment below:

This post is not t have a Stab at all, but it is some good information. I myself would have loved to have been able to slip behind the wheel of a 3.0 Turbo diesel vectra if they had have imported one. Not much slower (not even a second) and about half as much fuel.

After looking through a few articles it seems that Holden will be using a company called VM motori, they are an italian company producing diesel engines. The 3.0 litre that is quoted as the one Holden will eventually be looking at putting in the commodore looks rather impressive. Packing 184kw/4000rpm and a massive 500NM at only 1800 rpm.

There is also an option of using a VGT turbocharger (Variable Geometry Turbocharger), bringing the power up to 220kw..... IN A 3 LITRE ENGINE, and diesel at that. The VGT doesn't really alter fuel consumption either, it is just much more flexible and works much better, and more efficiently.

After working with buses alot of my life, I know just how powerful, robust and fuel efficient these machines can be, specially when you think they are pulling 12 tonnes of weight around. If mercedes can come up with a 12L turbo diesel engine (for a bus) with only 185kw and a whopping 1100nm of torque from only 800rpm that can beat cars of the light (with the right gearbox setup) Diesels can't be all that bad.

Apparently this VM motori mob will be making a 4cyl diesel for the Captiva eventually also, prob release around the same time, lets hope Holden play their cards right and bring out a diesel to have it all over this 2.7L jaguar unit that Ford want to use.

Got to www.jaguar.com.au and look under the S-class (i think)
Also
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=9 For the engine specs of the Commodore diesel (final specifiactions may be different)

Stoney!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Reaper said:
Check out holden during the VC-VK Days. The XE - XF was a much better car (at the time) and fitted the market very well. the VH in particular was spanked by holden.

Reaper

I don't know about this, a VH is almost exactly the same to drive as a VN/P/R which are not all that far removed from a VT/Z. The VB/R is the same car after all underneath the outer shell. You can drive one today and say, now that's a decent car. Try doing that in an XE urgghhh what crusty old bombs they are

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
greenfoam said:
I don't know about this, a VH is almost exactly the same to drive as a VN/P/R which are not all that far removed from a VT/Z. The VB/R is the same car after all underneath the outer shell. You can drive one today and say, now that's a decent car. Try doing that in an XE urgghhh what crusty old bombs they are

Are you serious??? The old blue 202 was junk and screwed over by pollution. To compare how a first gen commodore drives to that of a 2nd or 3rd is like comparing chalk and cheese however that is not the point of the conversation.

The post was about the levels of competition with the Commodore.

Read what I said - AT THE TIME the XE/F fitted the market very well and was reflected in their sales when compared to the VH in particular. I am talking about when they were new and their sales performance, not how well they have aged.

Reaper

p.s. I haven't driven any VN (or earlier) for a very long time and walked away thinking I had driven a decent car (not that I have actually been in anything well maintained for a long time either).

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Stoney! said:
This post is not t have a Stab at all, but it is some good information. I myself would have loved to have been able to slip behind the wheel of a 3.0 Turbo diesel vectra if they had have imported one. Not much slower (not even a second) and about half as much fuel.

After looking through a few articles it seems that Holden will be using a company called VM motori, they are an italian company producing diesel engines. The 3.0 litre that is quoted as the one Holden will eventually be looking at putting in the commodore looks rather impressive. Packing 184kw/4000rpm and a massive 500NM at only 1800 rpm.

There is also an option of using a VGT turbocharger (Variable Geometry Turbocharger), bringing the power up to 220kw..... IN A 3 LITRE ENGINE, and diesel at that. The VGT doesn't really alter fuel consumption either, it is just much more flexible and works much better, and more efficiently.

After working with buses alot of my life, I know just how powerful, robust and fuel efficient these machines can be, specially when you think they are pulling 12 tonnes of weight around. If mercedes can come up with a 12L turbo diesel engine (for a bus) with only 185kw and a whopping 1100nm of torque from only 800rpm that can beat cars of the light (with the right gearbox setup) Diesels can't be all that bad.

Apparently this VM motori mob will be making a 4cyl diesel for the Captiva eventually also, prob release around the same time, lets hope Holden play their cards right and bring out a diesel to have it all over this 2.7L jaguar unit that Ford want to use.

Got to www.jaguar.com.au and look under the S-class (i think)
Also
http://www.vmmotori.it/en/01/00/01/dettaglio.jsp?id=9 For the engine specs of the Commodore diesel (final specifiactions may be different)

Stoney!

Do you have any links that mention the diesel going into the commodore? or a link to the engine holden is quoted as looking at for the commodore? I wouldnt mind a read.

I still dont see a diesel engine going into the commodore though.

blackahcdx

Reaction score
SSV8pilot said:
By my reckoning $37,990 - add on road costs - thats close to $40k for the base model on the road with a/c.

I think the gap between the Astra and the Commodore is going to be more noticable - given there is no midsizer (ie Vectra)

The new Epica will be launched in October to fill this gap

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
blackahcdx said:
The new Epica will be launched in October to fill this gap

does this mean we are going to see another daewoo at our local dealers

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride