Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE secrets revealed

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
NAhh Korean speakers have moved up in the world. They're plastic now... with an extra 5w!!!

Fark that car is ugly.

I've said it so many times, car manufacturers, especially Holden make an unattractive car. Not in terms of looks but every other feature of the vehicle. With petrol getting to $1.40 here in the 'burbs of Melbourne, you can f..k the V8 off unless you've got the money, which most of us don't!

Granted, I own a Holden, a VU model. Only because Ford had to be shot for the AU, which was a car that needed to be shot as well. At the time, the VU V6 had decent fuel economy for me and did the job as a ute.

Now in 2006, I'll be in the car market soon again because I'd like to step up to a newer model. However after seeing 'preview' shots of the VE, I'm really wondering whether anyone at Holden has a f..king clue?

I will hold my final reservations about the vehicle when it is unveiled but if I'm at the motor show when they lift the curtain up and as the presenter shuts up and the only result is one person in the back corner clapping, I'll just put my head in my hand.

Not just Holden, but Ford too have to realise that the rear-wheel large car market has no future if their engineers are going to rely on the same methods as before. It's okay to make the car look more exotic perhaps but if you're going to add more power, add more weight, add more petrol consumption... typically add more BS to the car, it ain't going to bite with the consumer who is battling trying to pay off speeding fines, supporting a family, fighting harder to keep a job (FU China!), spending less time at the petrol station because of crude oil prices, etc...

The consumer is the reason why the VZ commodore is failing miserably (and you marketing guys think you know it all!) The consumer is the one that has to cut their losses and turn to an alternative solution to a bigger problem. That's why, the consumer, in this day of age now are more attracted to cars that consume less petrol, still have the same amount of power, less weight and have more safety features.

In regards to power of vehicles... what is the valid reason of making a base model commodore 200kw??? For the 'trying to compensate for something' factor? Australians are so over the 'Bigger dick wars' in pretty much everything... except racing but that's different. For one thing, I reckon that's going to discourage a lot of consumers. The drawbacks to a more powerful car is that, assuming most drivers on the roads are stupid.. which is true, is that speeding fines will be more prevelant, families will have P platers that won't be able to drive the 'family car' and honestly... what use is there paying another 3% for the extra power when a 5hitbox Smart car can go the absolute speed limit in Australia quite easily. Unless we have the Australian version of the Autobahn (fingers crossed for Eastlink) and unless you buy a car for street dragging and picking up da chicks sick mate and doing other unsavoury things, then there is no reason for cars to be more powerful than they are now.

Again, the majority of drivers are either under experienced or stupid or both. Giving more high powered vehicles out there is just feeding a problem you haven't realised yet.

Interesting that Holden is now getting parts supplied by more foreign countries than ever before. Oh and we all know how good the quality is when parts come from countries that have a poor record amongst consumers.

You've done what most other stupid business does and that's in order to save yourself a buck, you've opted to go for something more cheaper (hence, most of the time, lesser quality) and again, the consumer is the one that gets it up the a55. Well that's great, I bet you never thought that when the consumer has to fork out more money at the garage to keep the car running (especially when cars are so much more electronic now) they most likely won't have the money to buy the next model car from you down the track or even better, they'll just buy from another brand.

Beware Holden, when you think you have an idea that's going to sell, make sure you can hit the ground running when it comes to consumers needs.

Anyways that's my 2 cents.

zZzZzZz

Last edited:
B

Baritji

That ute looks like a pile of ****. Hopefully it will look nothing like that! 'Sporty look' my arse. Looks like a poor mans version of a volvo. If it looks anything like that.. its an XR8 ute for me!

Clinster

Reaction score
Website
s2.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
Instead of playing 'power wars' with a base model 200kw V6 and the 265kw V8 engine, why dont Holdens try and improve the fuel efficiency of the engine because i think thats what things are boiling down to. Fuel efficiency!
You are always goin to get your hardcore Holden Commodore buyers but that wont be enough to come out in front.

Dave398

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute Nickel Silver
TehFastyOne said:
NAhh Korean speakers have moved up in the world. They're plastic now... with an extra 5w!!!

Fark that car is ugly.

I've said it so many times, car manufacturers, especially Holden make an unattractive car. Not in terms of looks but every other feature of the vehicle. With petrol getting to $1.40 here in the 'burbs of Melbourne, you can f..k the V8 off unless you've got the money, which most of us don't!

Granted, I own a Holden, a VU model. Only because Ford had to be shot for the AU, which was a car that needed to be shot as well. At the time, the VU V6 had decent fuel economy for me and did the job as a ute.

Now in 2006, I'll be in the car market soon again because I'd like to step up to a newer model. However after seeing 'preview' shots of the VE, I'm really wondering whether anyone at Holden has a f..king clue?

I will hold my final reservations about the vehicle when it is unveiled but if I'm at the motor show when they lift the curtain up and as the presenter shuts up and the only result is one person in the back corner clapping, I'll just put my head in my hand.

Not just Holden, but Ford too have to realise that the rear-wheel large car market has no future if their engineers are going to rely on the same methods as before. It's okay to make the car look more exotic perhaps but if you're going to add more power, add more weight, add more petrol consumption... typically add more BS to the car, it ain't going to bite with the consumer who is battling trying to pay off speeding fines, supporting a family, fighting harder to keep a job (FU China!), spending less time at the petrol station because of crude oil prices, etc...

The consumer is the reason why the VZ commodore is failing miserably (and you marketing guys think you know it all!) The consumer is the one that has to cut their losses and turn to an alternative solution to a bigger problem. That's why, the consumer, in this day of age now are more attracted to cars that consume less petrol, still have the same amount of power, less weight and have more safety features.

In regards to power of vehicles... what is the valid reason of making a base model commodore 200kw??? For the 'trying to compensate for something' factor? Australians are so over the 'Bigger dick wars' in pretty much everything... except racing but that's different. For one thing, I reckon that's going to discourage a lot of consumers. The drawbacks to a more powerful car is that, assuming most drivers on the roads are stupid.. which is true, is that speeding fines will be more prevelant, families will have P platers that won't be able to drive the 'family car' and honestly... what use is there paying another 3% for the extra power when a 5hitbox Smart car can go the absolute speed limit in Australia quite easily. Unless we have the Australian version of the Autobahn (fingers crossed for Eastlink) and unless you buy a car for street dragging and picking up da chicks sick mate and doing other unsavoury things, then there is no reason for cars to be more powerful than they are now.

Again, the majority of drivers are either under experienced or stupid or both. Giving more high powered vehicles out there is just feeding a problem you haven't realised yet.

Interesting that Holden is now getting parts supplied by more foreign countries than ever before. Oh and we all know how good the quality is when parts come from countries that have a poor record amongst consumers.

You've done what most other stupid business does and that's in order to save yourself a buck, you've opted to go for something more cheaper (hence, most of the time, lesser quality) and again, the consumer is the one that gets it up the a55. Well that's great, I bet you never thought that when the consumer has to fork out more money at the garage to keep the car running (especially when cars are so much more electronic now) they most likely won't have the money to buy the next model car from you down the track or even better, they'll just buy from another brand.

Beware Holden, when you think you have an idea that's going to sell, make sure you can hit the ground running when it comes to consumers needs.

Anyways that's my 2 cents.

zZzZzZz

Mate I agree with alot of what you said but if you bothered to research you would notice the VE is going to weigh alot more than the VZ, so 200kw isnt going to make the VE a tyre frying beast.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Clinster said:
Instead of playing 'power wars' with a base model 200kw V6 and the 265kw V8 engine, why dont Holdens try and improve the fuel efficiency of the engine because i think thats what things are boiling down to. Fuel efficiency!
You are always goin to get your hardcore Holden Commodore buyers but that wont be enough to come out in front.
By rasing the power of the motor they are reducing fuel consumption in a way.
If they left the power figure in the VE at the 175 (172 or whatever) the motor would be more strained in pulling the extra bulk of the VE around thus increasing fuel usage.From what ive read the VE will be at leat 150 Kg's heavier than the Z.
Look at the VT it was alot heavier than the VS had the same power output but the fuel usage went up 0.5L/100KM.
It is probably easier and cheaper for holden to raise the power a bit instead of finding everyway possible to reduce fuel consumption.
This method may not be as responsible however they also need to think about there bottom line.
As for the V8's if you buy one and expect it to have good fuel economy then you bought the wrong car, most ppl will buy these cars for the power and it would be stupid of holden not to deliver the goods in that respect.But they are looking at DoD so they are also thinking bout the economy.
I agree that fuel is a much bigger factor now than a few years back but car companys need to deliver an overall package otherwise we will all be driving smart cars.

Clinster

Reaction score
Website
s2.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VSII Berlina
andrewmac said:
By rasing the power of the motor they are reducing fuel consumption in a way.
If they left the power figure in the VE at the 175 (172 or whatever) the motor would be more strained in pulling the extra bulk of the VE around thus increasing fuel usage.From what ive read the VE will be at leat 150 Kg's heavier than the Z.
Look at the VT it was alot heavier than the VS had the same power output but the fuel usage went up 0.5L/100KM.
It is probably easier and cheaper for holden to raise the power a bit instead of finding everyway possible to reduce fuel consumption.
This method may not be as responsible however they also need to think about there bottom line.
As for the V8's if you buy one and expect it to have good fuel economy then you bought the wrong car, most ppl will buy these cars for the power and it would be stupid of holden not to deliver the goods in that respect.But they are looking at DoD so they are also thinking bout the economy.
I agree that fuel is a much bigger factor now than a few years back but car companys need to deliver an overall package otherwise we will all be driving smart cars.

Yeah good point.
Re DoD: i guess they cant put all of the goodies on the first car otherwise they wont have any selling points on the next car they eventually do put it on.
I think ive read they are a few other things not included on the aussie version alloytec that is on the usa versions.
I wonder if they (Holden) will ever put DoD on the V6's??

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i don't understand why oz car companies build large capacity engines that use lots of petrol when they could make smaller motors with the same power and better economy. lets face it toyota are taking over the world and they probably build better cars nowadays. GM can't make a profit and toyota make 15% increase.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Pub24/7 said:
i don't understand why oz car companies build large capacity engines that use lots of petrol when they could make smaller motors with the same power and better economy. lets face it toyota are taking over the world and they probably build better cars nowadays. GM can't make a profit and toyota make 15% increase.
What smaller motor is as powerful or more powerful than the aussie 6cyl's?
Toyota use a a 3 litre engine and it only outputs 145KW.
Plus the reason they make them more powerful is because there rear wheel drive not front wheel like the camrys, and more power is lost in the transfer from the motor to the rear wheels as opposed to the front wheels.

N

nic1234

can i ask something me and m8 wont to no y there not goin to be a sv8 ?

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Word on the grapevine is that there will be two types of SS. One will be the poverty pack, like the current SV8, and the second will be a 'luxury pack', which is the equivilent of the current SS. Both will have the same amount of power and tourque, its the interior that makes the difference.