Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE secrets revealed

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Garth said:
im gonna wait for the next one to come out before my judgment is passed, i didnt like the vn when it came out, i didnt like the vr when it came out, i didnt like the vt shape when it came out and i didnt like the vy shape when it came out. all 4 have grown on me with my fravorite now being the vt. so ill wait and see it first before i say it's **** or good

I would wait...but after seeing one the other day on the westgate...i have already made my decision... It's a pity they have gone euro...it could of been huge had they not taken this route

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Hmmmmmmmmmm how about we all just wait an see..

Cheers
MaT

blackahcdx

Reaction score
lew said:
doesn't the 190 use less fuel than the 172 just?
I myself will reserve jugement on the VE until I see it in the flesh though I think i'll stick to my SV6 (which by the way is not a bad car at all)
If I did have a beef with the VE it's because it'll make my ride out of date!!!!!!

the 190 uses 0.1 L MORE fuel per km than the 172

trepaul

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina 308
if holden were serious about fuel consumption they would put a diesel in it. the difference between the 172 and 190 engines would be bugger-all where it counts - in the 1500-3000rpm range. how often would the average fleet buyer redline his car?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
trepaul said:
if holden were serious about fuel consumption they would put a diesel in it. the difference between the 172 and 190 engines would be bugger-all where it counts - in the 1500-3000rpm range. how often would the average fleet buyer redline his car?

172kw version gets 11.0l per 100km compared to 11.4l for the 190...
And do you think they redline the engines when they are testing fuel consumption....i dont think so. 1500-3000rpm is exactly the range they would test.

Why would they put a diesel in it? You're gonna be a very long way away from 190kw if you're using a 3.6litre diesel engine...

Diesels only have ONE upside...and thats fuel economy. For a start, diesel engines have lower rpm ranges and less power, they are normally more expensive...they have incredibly high compression ratio's, they are a heavier engine, they smell like **** and who wants to buy a new commodore if its gonna be leaving a 10km trail of smoke in a few years?, they're harder to start when its cold, and they are noisier and not as smooth.

Mmmm sounds like a great idea to shove a diesel in a VE Commodore....

vn88calais

Perth Representative
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VY Commodore 2002
1991_Vn2nV said:
And do you think they redline the engines when they are testing fuel consumption....i dont think so. 1500-3000rpm is exactly the range they would test.

Why would they put a diesel in it? You're gonna be a very long way away from 190kw if you're using a 3.6litre diesel engine...

Diesels only have ONE upside...and thats fuel economy. For a start, diesel engines have lower rpm ranges and less power, they are normally more expensive...they have incredibly high compression ratio's, they are a heavier engine, they smell like **** and who wants to buy a new commodore if its gonna be leaving a 10km trail of smoke in a few years?, they're harder to start when its cold, and they are noisier and not as smooth.

couldnt have put it better myself Vn2nV....

cheers, Todd

K

Kiwifan

1991_Vn2nV said:

Having read your wonderful words of wisdom....... There are many more advantages to diesel - one example is, why do euros use it? Diesels produce greater power/torque at lower revs. They are cheaper to run and diesel fuel is much cheaper in most countries. Dont know if Holden will ever use one in a Commodore but they are certainly not silly for considering it.
Get with the real world and do some research or ask someone from the modern age about today's diesel technology

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
1991_Vn2nV said:

lol, obviously you have never witnessed how they test car's. Fuel economy is worked out after thousands and thousands of kilometres. Varying ranges up to 180 km/h at different rpm ranges.

As for the diesel, go take a new BMW diesel for a drive, they are as quick as any holden six out there, you wouldnt even know they were diesel. I wish holden would make a diesel, at least then the holden might actually get decent economy around the city.

blackahcdx

Reaction score
1991_Vn2nV said:

Obviously you haven't been near a diesel engined car since the Diesel Gemini!!!!

Diesels have many many advantages. 1 litre of Diesel fuel has more energy in it than 1 litre of Unleaded.

Most people have the same thinking as you. kW's is not the important number, sure its great, but its Nm of torque that is the important figure.

In gear acceloration is muuch better in a diesel than in an inquivelent sized petrol engine.

Check out the new Astra diesel, wheels mag said they would pic the Diesel over the SRi Turbo petrol!!!!!!

Petrol : 147 Kw 250Nm

Diesel: 110kW 320 Nm

I know which i would prefer.

Go take the diesel Astra for a test drive, and realise that what your talking about in regards to lack of power, smell, noise, harshness ect is all rubbish.
Diesels usually suffer from these things because they aren't serviced correctly.

Go on, go for a drive, you will be suprised!!!

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
1991_Vn2nV said:

mate obviously ur stuck in 1991 with ur vn coz if u think diesels are **** uve got another thing coming. U said that they are harder to start when cold... tell me on average would England be colder than Australia?? and which country buys the most diesels in europe?? and why is that?? obviously because of the many advantages it has over the petrol engine. Mate diesels arent as bad as you think sure the price in Australia for diesel is quite expensive but as demand goes up for the fuel the price will go down. they are as smooth and as quiet as a petrol engine so why shouldnt holden give its consumers the choice.
do some research next time you try to bag sumthing, make sure your points of view are correct then post otherwise keep it to yourself. :bop:

cheers