Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE secrets revealed

Mr Squiggle

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Rocket
andrewmac said:
What smaller motor is as powerful or more powerful than the aussie 6cyl's?
Toyota use a a 3 litre engine and it only outputs 145KW.
Plus the reason they make them more powerful is because there rear wheel drive not front wheel like the camrys, and more power is lost in the transfer from the motor to the rear wheels as opposed to the front wheels.

The BMW M3 uses a bit more juice around town and only runs on 98 octane fuel, I'd say that was standard in Europe anyway?, but makes 250 kw(rw typo) from 3.2 liters.

If you want to make a speedy 6, that's what you should be aiming for, of course the Commodore is a cheap car so you get what you pay, more than you pay for really, If you want to go really fast just buy a Mitsubishi 380? it's much quicker than the VZ or the VE

Last edited:

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
Mr Squiggle said:
The BMW M3 uses a bit more juice around town and only runs on 98 octane fuel, I'd say that was standard in Europe anyway?, but makes 250 rwkw from 3.2 liters.

If you want to make a speedy 6, that's what you should be aiming for, of course the Commodore is a cheap car so you get what you pay, more than you pay for really, If you want to go really fast just buy a Mitsubishi 380? it's much quicker than the VZ or the VE
Well ofcourse if you want to pay $140000+ then go for it but as you said you get what you pay for.
But this discussion is more about the fuel economy and the m3 is laking 17.8L/100KM round the city is deffinetly not upto commodore standards but if you have the money to buy a beamer i would dare say petrol is not the biggest concern.
What i should have said was what v6 is as poweful as fuel efficient and as cost effective as the aussie 6's.
Im sure there could be other alternatives but i think the cost of implementing that kind of reasearch and development would render the cars to be out of the price range of most ppl.
I cant see most ppl paying 50 grand for an executive (in the near future anyway) just because it uses less fuel than a 30 grand car.
The thing is you are always going to be making sacrifices if you want a powerful car it will either cost you in fuel or in the price of the car, the phrase you cant have your cake and eat it too comes to mind .

TehFastyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Utility
Dave398 said:
Mate I agree with alot of what you said but if you bothered to research you would notice the VE is going to weigh alot more than the VZ, so 200kw isnt going to make the VE a tyre frying beast.

Actually, I have bothered to research or I wouldn't have posted here.

Understandably so you need extra power to pull extra weight, another reason why the VE is going to be worse than the VZ which is a lemon already. It's not just the speed of the car, it's the fact of adding more crap to it which also makes me put a big cross next to the car. There are other methods of compensating weight without making the engine bigger. Essentially, the cars from Toyota and Mitsubishi for example can use smaller capacity engines on a similar chassis at the cost of the cars speed ability.

All these factors run concurrently with each other. With a more kW, the car will be even more financially unfriendly IMO.

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
TehFastyOne said:

Understandably so you need extra power to pull extra weight, another reason why the VE is going to be worse than the VZ which is a lemon already. It's not just the speed of the car, it's the fact of adding more crap to it which also makes me put a big cross next to the car. There are other methods of compensating weight without making the engine bigger. Essentially, the cars from Toyota and Mitsubishi for example can use smaller capacity engines on a similar chassis at the cost of the cars speed ability.

All these factors run concurrently with each other. With a more kW, the car will be even more financially unfriendly IMO.

sorry to say but if u have researched its not good enough. or ur just being very one eyed and stubborn. the VE is gaining extra weight due to the all new chassis which is heavier to the previous one due to the amount of structural rigidity required/expected by a new car buyer.And on top of that more weight is added through neccessary safety features being made available to the car such as curtain airbags, and also due to a need to improve the side impact performance of the car. LEMON :bop:

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
TehFastyOne said:

People dont want to give up the power which is why the motor has to be more powerful.The Magna uses a 3.5 motor which is only a tiny bit smaller than 3.6 your basically spliting hairs there and the camry is a smaller car than both so it does not need a bigger engine plus they are both front wheels drive.
Commodores are good for towing which is another application which it is important to have the extra grunt there.
You say that mitsu and toyota use smaller engines, if you havent noticed both of them have now got bigger motors to power there large cars and yet holden are the only one which have reduced the capacity of there motor to get more power.
Think about it!!

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
392RWkwSS said:
sorry to say but if u have researched its not good enough. or ur just being very one eyed and stubborn. the VE is gaining extra weight due to the all new chassis which is heavier to the previous one due to the amount of structural rigidity required/expected by a new car buyer.And on top of that more weight is added through neccessary safety features being made available to the car such as curtain airbags, and also due to a need to improve the side impact performance of the car. LEMON :bop:

Your calling it a Lemon without having ever driven it... Stupid assumption, wait until you drive it or read solid reviews.

EvoVIIIJDM

Got Evo?
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Evo VIII JDM
NOt big on the new shape at all peoples. Not going to bite into this saga, i havent done my research.

392RWkwSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec S2
fourstar82 said:
Your calling it a Lemon without having ever driven it... Stupid assumption, wait until you drive it or read solid reviews.

im not calling the VE a lemon i love it. im calling TehFastyOne a lemon coz he doesnt do his research properly.
sorry if i offended u i didnt mean it. :bow:

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Whoever's bagging the VE: You're not thinking of the bigger picture, it may be up on weight, and it's speculated the kW power is up slightly to match, but no one's mentioned torque.. the thing which moves the car.. that could be up a lot more for all we know, and it's not just about looks, the driving experience could be fantastic.

This could be the best commodore ever, and who care's if in V6 form it could get beaten by a VN V6.. no offence but VN's.. eck! Besides, competing with a car from an era when there were hardly as many restrictions to new cars as there are now isn't fair at all.. (plus what's the point of making a competition of two lower-end family sedans?) I doubt a VN SS would be much of a challenge to a 6.0 litre L76 powered VE, both in performance and fuel economy (DoD anyone? :D)

And looks.. how can anyone say it looks crap, you can't see ****!

Brand new platform, near-brand new drivetrain components.. this thing's advanced in contrast to something like Ford with their 30+ year old block (if anyone wants to go down the Ford path :flame: )

</rant>

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
392RWkwSS said:
im not calling the VE a lemon i love it. im calling TehFastyOne a lemon coz he doesnt do his research properly.
sorry if i offended u i didnt mean it. :bow:

aaaah its all good! Didn't read it the right way in relation to his comment. It annoys me when people make un-educated guesses and comments on something they have no idea about! :bang: I'm really looking forward to the VE, and with any luck I'll get to have a test drive.