Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE sedan old fuel removal or dilute with 98

Jeza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey guys sorry if this has been asked before but I wanted a specific answer.

I have got a VE sv6 (09 sidi) sitting in the shed since last March (car has been completely idle for almost 12 months at this point) and before I left her there I filled her about 1/2 to just under 3/4 with regular unleaded.

Now that I have the money to get her running (needs timing chains replaced so didn’t want to drive it until I could get them done, my mechanic is only 300m up the road thankfully) I was gonna chuck in a new battery and by hand with a jerry can fill the rest of the fuel tank up with 98 high octane to kind of get the old fuel motivated.

I can’t personally remove the fuel tank to drain it as I’ve read the VE is rather complex in regards to that (doesn’t just have a plug on the bottom to drain it, you gotta take the whole tank out or remove the back seat and stuff I read in a thread from 2015)

Anyway if you guys and gals here have any suggestions on how I should proceed or anything else I should be weary of as it’s sat in a shed under a tarp for a year basically I’d be very thankful.

Will also inquire with my mechanic (also a Holden dealer licensed Holden workshop up the road) tomorrow and see what they reckon to.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Just top it up with new fuel and use it like normal. You can keep toping up as you use fuel to get it diluted quicker. The timing will retard automatically if there's any knock. Have done this a number of times with a few cars with no issue.

Jeza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Just top it up with new fuel and use it like normal. You can keep toping up as you use fuel to get it diluted quicker. The timing will retard automatically if there's any knock. Have done this a number of times with a few cars with no issue.
Thanks mate, You’re a legend. Sounds good.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Lucky you didn't fill up with E10 before parking her as E10 has alcohol which will suck moisture from the air (and by now, some 10 months later, may have phase separated from the petrol itself so you get some watery crud at the bottom of the tank)... This sort of phase separation isnt an issue with 98 though even 91 can conatin some alcohol according to out lax fuel standards :eek:

Pity the tank filler tube has anti syphon provisions within as that is always the best option to get the fuel out. But the anti syphon crap makes it difficult to easily get the old cruddy fuel out. I think all VE's have a fuel pump access hatch under the rear seat, so if you're keen, you can always take the pump out and use a petrol hand pump to remove the contents and check the tank insides are clean.

Never had fuel issues with cars being parked for around 6 months (with frequent battery charge ups) but recently had 2 separate fuel contamination issues in my daily so i've become paranoid. Bloody petrol stations...

So if its easy to take out the fuel pump, my paranoia will mean i'll do it. YMMV :rolleyes:

If you can't be faffed dumping teh fuel, do top up with 98 and run a few tanks of the high octain which should clean her out ;)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Not all VE’s have the access panels. Only really early ones. Our ‘07 doesn’t have it. In those cases, you have to drop the whole rear subframe assembly to access the fuel tank.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had our VE off the road for 8mths I think it was. I dropped some octane booster in and it ran fine.

Jeza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Lucky you didn't fill up with E10 before parking her as E10 has alcohol which will suck moisture from the air (and by now, some 10 months later, may have phase separated from the petrol itself so you get some watery crud at the bottom of the tank)... This sort of phase separation isnt an issue with 98 though even 91 can conatin some alcohol according to out lax fuel standards :eek:

Pity the tank filler tube has anti syphon provisions within as that is always the best option to get the fuel out. But the anti syphon crap makes it difficult to easily get the old cruddy fuel out. I think all VE's have a fuel pump access hatch under the rear seat, so if you're keen, you can always take the pump out and use a petrol hand pump to remove the contents and check the tank insides are clean.

Never had fuel issues with cars being parked for around 6 months (with frequent battery charge ups) but recently had 2 separate fuel contamination issues in my daily so i've become paranoid. Bloody petrol stations...

So if its easy to take out the fuel pump, my paranoia will mean i'll do it. YMMV :rolleyes:

If you can't be faffed dumping teh fuel, do top up with 98 and run a few tanks of the high octain which should clean her out ;)
Awesome info, cheers mate.

Jeza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Update for anyone interested: Replaced battery and put in 20 litres of high octane (98) on top of the 40 odd litres of year old 91 and after about ten minutes she hasn’t skipped a beat. Kicked over pretty easy. Getting my quote for front struts and timing chains Monday from the Holden dealer hopefully isn’t more than $1800-$2000 for GM chains plus labour, Not to stressed about struts as I’ll do it myself if they try skun me to much.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do the struts yourself. You’ll be able to use the money saved to get better springs and shocks + tops.

Jeza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Do the struts yourself. You’ll be able to use the money saved to get better springs and shocks + tops.
Cheers mate I looked it up and doesn’t seem to difficult, my house mate does everything on his VT himself so yeah I think I might save that cash and get him out here to help me do it. Really appreciate all the help I’m pretty new to cars in general so the support here means a lot.