Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve sedan rear door retaining water

BrettP75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais S1 6.0Ltr
Hi guys,
My VE sedan passenger side rear door seems to retain water when we have a good down pour. If I open the door and shake it the water starts running out. Shouldn’t it be able to drain automatically by itself without having to open the door ? What would cause it and how could I fix it? Obviously the window seal is shot, but why would it be holding onto the water?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi guys,
My VE sedan passenger side rear door seems to retain water when we have a good down pour. If I open the door and shake it the water starts running out. Shouldn’t it be able to drain automatically by itself without having to open the door ? What would cause it and how could I fix it? Obviously the window seal is shot, but why would it be holding onto the water?

The doors have drain holes in the bottom.
The holes are probably blocked with crud(from the shot window seals).
Eyeball the drain holes, then clear them with a piece of wire etc.

BrettP75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais S1 6.0Ltr
I
The doors have drain holes in the bottom.
The holes are probably blocked with crud(from the shot window seals).
Eyeball the drain holes, then clear them with a piece of wire etc.
cheers, might be the plan for tomorrow. Gotta do some cutting and buffing then that’s the next goal.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Hi guys,
Clean the drain holes in the bottom of the door. I always check them a couple times a year.

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
Same problem has happened me over the last few days with my car except it's drivers side and and passager side ,looks like I'm going have to get rid of that water inside the doors.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
And make sure crud isn't further restricting water flow between the door bottom rubber and drain hole. Get your fingers behind the rubber and clear any surface crud from the inside of the rubber. I found my rubber (near the drain holes) was caked with mud. You want to supply an easy way for the water to just flow away. Seems basic and obvious, but this was one of my issues - especially in big downpours.

White beast 2023

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Commodore
And make sure crud isn't further restricting water flow between the door bottom rubber and drain hole. Get your fingers behind the rubber and clear any surface crud from the inside of the rubber. I found my rubber (near the drain holes) was caked with mud. You want to supply an easy way for the water to just flow away. Seems basic and obvious, but this was one of my issues - especially in big downpours.
Thank you for the information I was able to get rid of the water with one of my housemates but my concern is is the might go back into the windows again on what I have to replace it in the future.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I had this problem before and ended up removing the rubber seal under all 4 doors and cleaning the Seal and the bottom of the door really well then putting the seals back on. That solved most of the issue.

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
And btw. If you're ever doing anything that requires removal of the door card and vapor/dust barrier then get in there and give the door cavity (especially lower) a good clean. I was amazed (but shouldn't have been) how much dust/crap etc ends up on the sides and bottom. 'Stuff' gets in, sits and waits for rain (or hose water) to wash it to the bottom and eventually block the drain holes. It only takes one tiny twig/leaf (or old snapped off weather seal part) etc to sit near the drain hole and start the crud backing up process. I use a small tough nylon scrubbing brush and finish with a thorough vac. Unless I had obvious problems, I wouldn't remove a perfectly good vapor barrier for this, but if I'm doing it all I might as well do it properly.

Reactions: Lex