Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Senator zero compression in all cylinders

is stroking engine to 416 with forged internals for 16500 drive in drive out a good deal- from HPF

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No go elsewhere

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oaks-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E2 senator
Hi guys please help
I have a VE E2 Senator, it run rough for a minute or so with the check engine on dash. Turned it off, started it again no problems drove a bit then got a large backfire after a bit of excessive throttle, home about 5ks. Next morning started fine was jus letting it warm up and about to drive off when the check oil light flashed on dash. I went to turn car off however it just stopped. Tried starting it and wouldn't fire at all, will crank over but no start. It also turns over quite slow and it's not the battery.After thinking its electrical I was advised it's not,so done spark and compression test and I have zero compression in all cylinders. Took rockers off and valves appear to be stuck open and will not open or close fully whilst turning engine over. I have been told that if the oil pump goes it won't get enough pressure to lifters to effect valve movement properly. I Can see oil getting to lifters when cranking engine. Is this correct?? HSV said that with all power disconnect it's purely mechanical and the valves should move when cranked even by hand. So I tried that and they don't, also motor seems tight to me especially with all plugs,intake and rockers removed.How hard should it be to crank over by hand because I have 2ft bar on crank and it's quite tight and gets tighter at certain point. I would of thought at the most a decent size ratchet would turn it reasonably easy. Has anyone heard of this before and advise on direction to take. Further test
Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Honestly, it sounds like you might have a broken timing/cam chain. You might be facing bigger issues as cranking it over in this state will probably bend the valves or pushrods as the LS is interference.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
As above, almost certainly an engine out problem.

Oaks-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E2 senator
Honestly, it sounds like you might have a broken timing/cam chain. You might be facing bigger issues as cranking it over in this state will probably bend the valves or pushrods as the LS is interference.

I can see the timing chain and it's tight and on the cam sprocket. To bend valve train it would have to be piston stike I'm assuming?? I've put a camera into the cylinders and all seem to be ok however there are shiny bits on some pistons but I'm not sure it it's just flaked off carbon very hard to tell

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Something broke, get the front timing cover off if you have access to a balancer puller.

The shiny marks on the pistons will be where they kissed the valves unfortunately.

With all the spark plugs out it should turn over easy. All symptoms suggest a major failure unfortunately.

Oaks-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E2 senator
As above, almost certainly an engine out problem.[/QUOTE
Something broke, get the front timing cover off if you have access to a balancer puller.

The shiny marks on the pistons will be where they kissed the valves unfortunately.

With all the spark plugs out it should turn over easy. All symptoms suggest a major failure unfortunately.

Yes that what I was thinking, it shouldn't be hard to turn over. So at this point I'm thinking it's probably better off to rebuild whole engine
So stock new crate motor 10k with 2k install

Rebuild original motor possibly up to 10k plus install, it's got big cam etc..

Full 416 striker kit only reusing my block with all forged internals with all the good bits 14.5k or 16.5k with new polished race heads

What's thoughts about this because I got everyone saying something different and I'm leaning towards stroked. Do it once

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I couldn't possibly comment on prices to built/install motors, I'm a tight arse, I'd build it myself and only pay someone to do the machining which I couldn't do myself.

But if you intend to modify then do it once and do it right does sound like the best plan.