Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 1 Headunit upgrade advice

NYHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Calais-V Wagon, 2014 Caprice PPV
Hello all!

My name is Mike. I have a 2009 Calais-V Wagon in the US (not a common sight here) and I'm looking for some advice on best practices today. I have the rear seat entertainment. If I can integrate it with something aftermarket, great but I wouldn't lose any sleep I cant use it as I don't use DVDs much for the kids and it looks like it doesnt work with US region DVDs anyway.

Ive done a ton of reading and researching, and the options I'm pondering:

#1) Aerpro kit ordered from Australia and getting a quality head unit locally.

Going this way, I know it keeps the front/rear parking sensors. I'm assuming rear DVD doesn't connect? From what I read, it seems like the latest dual zone Aerpro unit works well. I would assume I just need the fascia kit, patch harness and the lower tray. Anything I should worry about?

If I go this route, does anyone have suggestions on preferred Aerpro dealers that might ship to the US?

#2) Alpine Kit Looking at the new alpine kits has me drooling a bit. Its pricey, but not far off from the Series 2 Conversion with the Android Auto shipped to me. I asked a few dealers in AU and no one seems to be able to ship to the US. Any concerns with these kits, and are there any recommended Alpine dealers who will ship to the US? Otherwise I could try using a freight forwarding mailbox in AU.

#3 Series 2 Swap with Android Auto I was looking at the Series 2 IQ swap with the upgrades to allow Android Auto and I'm not against the idea, but with shipping (since its a bigger package with all the trims) I'd be looking at a landed price pretty close to the lower end Alpine unit.

I'd love to get some opinions. I've pretty much ruled out the Kayhan (I like the concept, but dont like the idea of a chinese tablet with iffy support) but am open to suggestions.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
Ive just done this in my series 1 international. Ill attach a pic of the final install to give you an idea of how it looks. Wasnt too difficult. Hardest part was locating and fitting the temp sensor. Dunno if this is different with factory dual zone climate control. The kit included the facia, patch harness to iso, steering wheel control harness, antenna conversion and head unit cage. I didnt need to replace the tray below it as everything just fit in.

Besides the hu, all you would need to get is the brand specific harness to iso. My suggestion is if you do go this route, make sure you get a hu with a rear usb port. The facia has a usb port built in. My hu didnt have a rear port so i just used s 12v usb ciggy replacement and wired it into the acc harness thats mounted behind the drivers side panel (thats the right hand side. Lost track of which car youre talking about here lol)

If you went the IQ unit route, i believe you would need to find someone with a tech2 to program the vin for you (or yourself if you already have a tech2).

I havent looked into the alpine kit as i was on a tight budget after using all my savings to buy my new toy.

Attachments

• 970F3A4B-D71E-4A92-A708-5E48881ABBB2.jpeg
    970F3A4B-D71E-4A92-A708-5E48881ABBB2.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 161

NYHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 Calais-V Wagon, 2014 Caprice PPV
Thanks! I bought a cheap external android auto unit to hold me over a few months as I focus on other car and home needs. Alpine told me directly I can't buy their integrated unit in the US or officially import it from Australia, and it's too expensive for me to take a gamble on ordering one and not having by a warranty.

If I went the IQ route, I would get a kit preprogrammed to my vin (we don't have the luxury of Series 2 models in the junkyards here other than base level Caprice cop cars)

I think the Aerpro is my best bet, and I will get a good floating headunit locally. The only think it looks like I will lose is the rear DVD, but no concern there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will still have the front DVD with double din.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
Depending on the hu you buy, i think some have video out. Dunno if the rear is rca input or more deeply integrated. But a possible option.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You loose the RSE.
My new Alpine headunit has wiring that seems like it could be adapted to the RSE harness but I’ve not done it and can only speculate.
I’ve had the whole interior out of the VE and am familiar with the harnesses etc.

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
The Aerpro stuff is a bit hit or miss. I have helped a couple of guys put these in, and one could not get the steering wheel controls to work for love nor money (Kenwood headunit). Aerpro's tech support can take weeks to get a reply even when you speak engineer to an engineer it's damn frustrating...

I might add I don't like how the flimsily the thing's built, a very large downgrade from the Blaupunkt HVAC unit, but the climate control is quite an upgrade I guess.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Aerpro stuff is a bit hit or miss. I have helped a couple of guys put these in, and one could not get the steering wheel controls to work for love nor money (Kenwood headunit). Aerpro's tech support can take weeks to get a reply even when you speak engineer to an engineer it's damn frustrating...

I might add I don't like how the flimsily the thing's built, a very large downgrade from the Blaupunkt HVAC unit, but the climate control is quite an upgrade I guess.
Well with my sony xav-ax3000 unit it was plug and play. Only thing ive had happen is the software that controls the climate froze up once and i didnt know the reset procedure.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There are few options. I believe there is a another brand but the installation kit is like $2k. The factory HU may be robust but that's the only thing it's got going for it.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
There are few options. I believe there is a another brand but the installation kit is like $2k. The factory HU may be robust but that's the only thing it's got going for it.
Yep. Sounds like ****. Made before carplay and aa were a thing. Mine didnt even come with factory bt music streaming.