Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series 1 Serpentine Belt

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I ordered a new belt for a 2006 VE series 1 LE0 engine. The old belt that came off it is a 6pk2558
(think this is the series 2 ve belt) and it’s a tight fit over the idler, the tensioner was near right on its housing stop and hardly moved wen I let the tensioner go, now the tensioner audibly and visually rattles for a few seconds every minute or so at idle. The correct belt I brought listed for my 2006 VE series 1 LE0 is 6pk2553 but it’s too short wont go on. Tensioner bearing feels alright wen I spin it by hand. The front damper is a wrecker item cos its marked 2008 ve LE0, it’s the 6 spoke prev owner replaced it. Are 2008 LE0 dampers same size as 2006?
Maybe someone knows wats going on here before I go buy a series 2 belt n tensioner

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
If it rattles, that’s probably the reason the the belt came off,
The only options would be,
replace that one tensioner pulley, use the Dayco website to obtain the correct part number.

Replace the bearing (if it’s not a moulded pulley,
Or
replace all the pulleys, again use the Dayco site for part numbers.
I had a noisy idler pulley, and replaced all the pulleys,
Because if one is faulty, they all could be the same age and any other one could fail at the most inconvenient moment.

Being mine are all metal pulleys now,
I purchased a set of bearings to suit, so in the event of one having a early failure, I can just replace the bearing, as the bearings are half the price of a complete pulley.

Last edited:

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I ordered a new belt for a 2006 VE series 1 LE0 engine. The old belt that came off it is a 6pk2558
(think this is the series 2 ve belt) and it’s a tight fit over the idler, the tensioner was near right on its housing stop and hardly moved wen I let the tensioner go, now the tensioner audibly and visually rattles for a few seconds every minute or so at idle. The correct belt I brought listed for my 2006 VE series 1 LE0 is 6pk2553 but it’s too short wont go on. Tensioner bearing feels alright wen I spin it by hand. The front damper is a wrecker item cos its marked 2008 ve LE0, it’s the 6 spoke prev owner replaced it. Are 2008 LE0 dampers same size as 2006?
Maybe someone knows wats going on here before I go buy a series 2 belt n tensioner

Welcome to the wonderful automotive world,experienced mechanic/Dealer would be your best bet if no one on here can help.

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
Ive just checked my 2008 SV6 with the LY7 engine - Belt on that is also 6PK2558, so yeah the 2553 is too short

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Just to confuse things a bit more, I've got a 2555 belt here that came with a tensioner kit I bought online. It was really hard to fit and seemed too short so I just kept it as a spare. Anyone know the difference?

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Welcome to the wonderful automotive world,experienced mechanic/Dealer would be your best bet if no one on here can help.
Funny enuf I was a motor reconditioner in a past life. Alloytec was new wen I got out.
LS motors are a heap simpler. Thanks for your guys help. I’ll grab an idler pulley an LY7 belt n a tensioner. I think u gotta be an alloytec lord to figure out what the go is

Last edited:

Skaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I wound the tensioner up with a 1/2 ratchet n pulled the last of the belt along bottom by hand from the AC pulley til it started on the crank pulley, then let the tensioner go and wound the rest of the belt on clockwise with a socket on the crank. Belt tension felt better n ran quieter IMO

6pk2555/6pk2553 belt LE0 LY7 LLT and LF1. Tryna pull it over the idler pulley last came up short so I did the above instead

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Some early VE’s didn’t have AC. Shorter belt.

ZP

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV REDLINE 2010 COMMODORE
I wound the tensioner up with a 1/2 ratchet n pulled the last of the belt along bottom by hand from the AC pulley til it started on the crank pulley, then let the tensioner go and wound the rest of the belt on clockwise with a socket on the crank. Belt tension felt better n ran quieter IMO

6pk2555/6pk2553 belt LE0 LY7 LLT and LF1. Tryna pull it over the idler pulley last came up short so I did the above instead
Hi mate so were you able to fit on the 6pk2555 Serpentine belt? As i have the 6pk 2565 and i think its slightly too big. Comes off ac pulley all the time

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Hi mate so were you able to fit on the 6pk2555 Serpentine belt? As i have the 6pk 2565 and i think its slightly too big. Comes off ac pulley all the time

Is yours a series 1 V8?