Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series 2 OBD2 or CAM-BUS real time tools

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
I am looking for a tool for real time data on engine sensors and other car data while not being in the car. It is a race converted SS ute with a reasonably standard engine. The tool needs to be able to provide real time information to a portable device via WIFI, and bring up error codes and have programming capabilities.

I have found devices that would suit the task perfectly, but it is for OBDII systems. I am not sure if the VE runs off OBDII, so I would like someone to please confirm this.

I would appreciate any links, names, phone numbers, or products that I can use to get this tool ASAP.

The car will be doing Targa High country in a few weeks and I will need this tool for this event.

If this is not possible, I would accept advice on any other solutions.

Thanks,
Tom.

westy27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
If you have a iPad or iPhone get kiwi wifi off eBay around 149 with express postage works great.

If you type in VE iPad install into YouTube you will see just a few of the params it will measure.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Have a look here OBD-II Hardware - Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc. and you'll get an idea of the variety of interface options ie bluetooth, usb, WiFi and also the software and platform options. I've been using Dascommand and SCANXL with a windows tablet and an OBDLink interface. There are several cheaper chineese alternatives available but you pay for what you get I reckon. I'm not sure about the ability to flash using these interface units though as the flash software needs to be compatible with the OBDII interface.

On the topic of the Palmer software and after several weeks of messing around with it I've found that it good for monitoring raw data, ie temps, voltage, MAF and fuel flow rates etc but is not reliably accurate for calculating things like RWKW and RWNM as it tends to spike when running limited PIDs. To reduce this spike (high inaccurate readings) I've found I have to monitor at least 20 PID's which inturn slows down the framerate to around 2.5 Frames Per Second (FPS). This is not that important when just viewing as a digital readout but annoying when trying to record really accurate performance data as alot happens in half a second.

Dashcommand software boffins are suppposedly going to fix the spike issues with the next release but I'm sure there are probably a few different compatible software options for the GMs though.

Here https://autoappmart.com/categories/DashXL_32 is a website that will give you several different dashboard skins for a couple of different platforms. I've found that this one https://autoappmart.com/products/GTR+Gauges+by+asmpbm+3.0_223 suited me the best.

Cheers

SV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VN Clubsport
That looks great. Good price too.

Do you know if this would work with the Iphone App?

nah mate wont work with iphone because its bluetooth the iphone wont send data like that thru bluetooth (stupid iphone)

VzVzVz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S ute
Thanks for all the replies, we just imported one from the UK called an OBDKEY. Yet to try it out, but I'm sure it will work pretty well.