Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 OBDII reader??

ryzlee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
Excuse my noobness, I've only just bought my VE, I'm looking to get something like dashcommand on my iPhone and have read that you need to purchase an OBDII reader. When I go to look at these readers on eBay they say that they support vechiles up to 2010 model. Does anyone know if they support a 2011 VE Series 2? I've had a look around on the forum - I'm completely confused. Also if they do support the VE Series 2, is it best to get a wifi device or a Bluetooth one? Thanks.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
you will need it to be WIFI I recommend this one PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi | OBD2 OBDII iPhone
I use it in my VE S2 CalaisV with no dramas what so ever, there are other ones out there so shop around

ryzlee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SV6
you will need it to be WIFI I recommend this one PLX Kiwi 2 Wifi | OBD2 OBDII iPhone
I use it in my VE S2 CalaisV with no dramas what so ever, there are other ones out there so shop around

Excellent! Can you just plug it in and leave it in while driving? And just have the app open on you phone? Also do you have any particular app you would recommend?

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
Make sure you get a wifi one as the Bluetooth one will not work with your iPhone, apples Bluetooth is locked down you may get it working on JB iPhone but will be more trouble than its worth.

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
Excellent! Can you just plug it in and leave it in while driving? And just have the app open on you phone? Also do you have any particular app you would recommend?

Yes you can, I've got mine plugged in all the time and tucked up under the steering collum, Dashcommand is proberly the best one, only issue with it is if you get a phone call then dashcommand will stop working and you have to go back in and reconnect it, that's not a dashcommand problem its a Apple iphone problem as it wont allow 3rd party programs to run in the back round.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Does anyone know if they support a 2011 VE Series 2?
Yes.
Also ... is it best to get a wifi device or a Bluetooth one?
I chose BlueTooth because you can still receive 3/4G internet for everything in the background while connected to the OBD. WiFi dongles force you to either join a local wireless subnet, or route your own via the portable WiFi Hotspot feature, which is extra hassle and eats you battery life unnecessarily.
I recently posted some points in a thread about this just days ago for ManWhore. Also check out DashBoss, which has added features and looks a bit better.

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
The OP has said he wants to use it with his iPhone Bluetooth will not work with a iPhone I have tried with a ELM327 Bluetooth, if its jailbroken you might get it working but I doubt it, wifi is the only one that will work with iphone

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The OP has said he wants to use it with his iPhone Bluetooth will not work with a iPhone I have tried with a ELM327 Bluetooth, if its jailbroken you might get it working but I doubt it, wifi is the only one that will work with iphone

Yes mate I've got a bluetooth iPhone thingy with stock iphone 5, wifi is crap for the network reasons mentioned above, see the thread i wrote a couple of days ago^^.

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
Pirate put me onto those links above and they are definately bluetooth if you take the time to look.