Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve series 2 reverse camera

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
@zerone_V if you are able to figure out how to set the iq up for a aftermarket camera and track down or make the plug type then i for one would definatly be interested in purchasing a set up off you and i dare say a lot of other people would aswell. even if you could set up a iq plug to rca and people can choose their own aftermarket camera with rca output.

the view out the back is limited in the ute and will be next to zero once i put my hardcover on. and personally i prefer to reverse into carparks over nose in it would definatly help out.

good luck with it all mate and i hope you stumble across something :)

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
any update on this?

i have a series 2 ute also, and was looking at that ebay item. i tried to message the seller but he hasnt responded to anything i said.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The above eBay kit is suitable, but its certainly not ideal !

The module that is included will enable the Reverse Camera input on the IQ Headunit, and that's about all it does.

Fitting that camera up to the car would be a real mission, as the camera itself is
1) Big and bulky, it would stick out like a dogs proverbials.
2) There are no mounting tabs, screw locations, or anything that you can use to mount the camera to the vehicle.
(Unless you want to double side tape it to something, which is hardly ideal) !
Notice how the seller doesn't include any mounting instructions with the camera ! There is a very good reason for this !

For the price, I would probably recommend taking the car to Holden to have the Reverse Camera (And RSE Inputs) enabled,
and look at fitting something else than the camera device that this guy is selling.

I am currently looking in to this with my current IQ setup (My park assist is cactus, so I am looking for an alternative).
I have found a solution to the Video Input connector on the IQ unit (But a big warning here.... It aint pretty !)
I already have the reverse camera option enabled on my IQ unit (The only option that looks like its enabled unfortunately) :(
And I have found a cheapy camera that looks like it fits the Holden Genuine rear Sedan chrome boot strip.

So currently I am waiting for the Series II Chrome boot strip (For Sedans) that has a hole for the factory camera to arrive at my local Holden spare parts dude.
I am confident that I can make my cheapy ($25.00) eBay camera fit the genuine chrome boot trim, and be able to mount the camera properly using actual bolts, and have the camera sit nicely through the hole in the chrome trim.
Once I sort out the mounting (Which I think is the hardest part right now, as I don't want a solution that doesn't look factory),
then the wiring should be a piece of cake.

(For Camera Specs, the IQ unit appears to support both PAL and NTSC composite video inputs - Well the RSE Input does in any case).

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
how much would holden charge to enable the reverse camera?

and do all the iq units not have a video input connector?

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Sorry, my explanation was a bit poor.

All IQ Units have a Video connector on the side of them,

image.php

The bottom connector shown in this image is the Video Connector for the IQ unit, and allows connecting Reverse Camera, Rear Seat Entertainment (Roof DVD Player), and the HSV EDI computer (RGB+S Inputs)
The problem that you have here is the physical shape of the plug for the video connector. I cannot find anything that will fit this from the usual electrical engineering suppliers / sources (RS Components and Element 11).
The other problem is Holden sells the electrical connector as part of a main wiring loom. (So big $$$$$ to get your hands on)...
If your car doesn't have a reverse camera, or RSE, or the HSV EDI system, then you will not have the electrical connector (The plug with the wires coming out of it) available to splice into and add the reverse camera connection.

(This is the same story with the Series I headunits also)...

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
As for programming, I have no idea how much Holden will charge for this.
(My experience with having stuff programmed by my local Holden has been negative).
The service manager isn't really interested in playing around with Tech2 stuff, and is only interested in doing this kind of work only if its part of a vehicle service.

So instead, I will be taking my Car to DoubleDip (Ultimate Wiring Conversions) in Sydney, and will be having everything enabled (Reverse Cam, RSE, Rear speaker fader, Diversity Antenna, Startup screen, and background colour) enabled,
as well as get the latest IQ updates. (Cost will be a couple of hundred dollars, not to sure the exact amount as I am having some other work done as well).
Because he has nutted out all the programming already, it means that I wont have any problems in regards to having features not enabled, or the technician not knowing their way around a Tech2 machine.

I hope this helps.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
As far as cameras go I have this one now it is not bad quality, it is small enough and looks good too. However I did need to mod it a little (chock up the back) to get the correct FOV.
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

screenshot20130120at512.jpg

Have you also tried looking for the connector at TE Connectivity: Every Connection Counts - TE this is were the S1 connectors can be found and you can get FREE test units!!.
If you still cant find the plug why dont you just solder some wires to the connecter?

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
so you had a connector for your headunit?