Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ve series 2 reverse camera

shterk

Reaction score
Members Ride
Phantom VE Calais V Sportwagon S2 A6
Pin numbers on IQ unit are, from left to right, even numbers on top row (2,4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18 & 20) and odd numbers on bottom row (1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17 & 19)

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
So I thought I'd update as I'm currently in the middle of installing my reverse camera.

I've just pulled my drivers side interior out to find I do have the factory video plug (who knew?) Here is a pic of it for those who are interested:

photo2_zps35633662.jpg

From what I can tell it only has a couple gold pins on it, so if I think it has these inputs:

1: DVD Video Signal (-)
2: Coaxial DVD Video Signal
3: Coaxial Shield
4: Camera Video Signal
7: Video Blue Signal
8: Video Green Signal
9: Low Reference
10: Video Red Signal

What does that mean my ute may also have? There is no factory DVD in the glovebox but I haven't looked behind to see whats there.

Cheers all

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
so how do you connect the cables from the camera to that?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
so how do you connect the cables from the camera to that?

It has a wiring harness off it, so i just tapped into that and spliced into the camera feed cables, after shterk told me which colour cables are for camera.

I have it all up and running and it works well, but I finished it last night and didn't have time to take pics, and I'm not at home to take pics now unfortunatly but when I can I will post them up.

Pretty happy that I have a aftermarket reverse camera for under $100 aswell :)

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
did you have to enable it on your IQ?

and im guessing because you used the proper wires on that harness you dont have to get a vehicle in motion modification done?

i bought a camera off ebay few weeks ago, but havent bothered running the cables as its a ute and i think it will take a while especially getting the tub liner off.
how did you get into the cabin from the tray?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
did you have to enable it on your IQ?

and im guessing because you used the proper wires on that harness you dont have to get a vehicle in motion modification done?

i bought a camera off ebay few weeks ago, but havent bothered running the cables as its a ute and i think it will take a while especially getting the tub liner off.
how did you get into the cabin from the tray?

Yeah mate I took it to Ultimate Wiring Conversions in Sydney and the bloke enabled the camera for me.

The reverse camera in the S2 IQ doesn't need to have a VIM enabled to work, just the camera option on the IQ.

I didn't take progress pics sorry but I really should have, but the tub liner is really easy to take out, 3 screws at the back on the floor and 2 plug sorta clips (I don't know their name) on the side near the tailgate cable.

There is a main wiring harness that runs along the drivers side of the ute from a grommet in the wall behind drivers seat all the way to the drivers side taillight. I picked up power from my reverse lights for my camera and ran the RCA cable following the main harness and through the grommet, which then drops down next to carjack behind drivers seat. I had to pull all the trim out along the drivers side sill and to the side of the IQ and cut the RCA plug off and tapped the video feed into the factory plug as shown above.

Hope all that makes sense lol

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
Yeh that doesn't sound that bad. Do you have a picture of the plug now?
Also how much did it cost.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Same plug as earlier pic mate, just spliced wires into the back of it.

With camera and getting option enabled on the IQ, worked out to be a bit under $100

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
doubledip quoted me $350, but that included a plug for the iq, but i already have one on mine too, so maybe it will just be $100?

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure mate, because when he did mine I also had my IQ screen changed to blue, so it was $150 for both, so I just averaged out $75 for the camera.

I can understand why he charges that as I was talking to him about it, apparently the plugs are quite expensive to buy from the manufacturer, and even then you have to order something like 1000 off them before they will sell to you. And he can't exactly assume he will have 1000 IQ owners wanting the plug for reverse cams or DVD players you know?