Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 sv6 Audio amps & Subs

Dex87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II
ok so I want to add amps and subs into my brand new ve, but apparently you cant change the head unit in these and ive been told that you can run it off the rear speakers? which i didnt understand.
I was then told you can link up a second amp to the first which then runs the speaker wire to the rear + front speakers. ( i understand this but not running the the amp off the rears )

Does anyone know how this works in the series 2 yet?
If so I'd love some advice on it because I can't wrap my head around running it off the rear speakers.
So can someone help if you know?

Thanks in advanced.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
The amp in the back is very basic. It doesn't have the "staight through" RCA's (not sure what the correct term is) which allows you to run a second amp off it.

In fact, it doesn't have RCA's at all - just a series of wires coming off it.

I wouldn't go running anything of the rear speakers either, since you'll have a good chance of blowing the h/u.

Your best bet is to contact Greg (phreddy) from ASR electronics (forum sponsor) and he can do his RCA out mod to your factory h/u. In other words, he can give you RCA outputs on the back of your existing system.

Alternatively, you could use a LOC converter to convert your high level (speker wire) outputs to low level (RCA) outputs. This is not the best solution IMO as there is a loss of sound quality - though most people say you can't hear the difference.

Hope this helps...

Taroona

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Sportswagon now sold have a 2002 VU Storm V6
If you are only playing Doof Doof music does sound quality come into it?

DynoVE

DVSVE
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
you cant change the headunit but you can add a headunit, and run everything off that. im guesssing you could still use the original one for gps and all that. ive got a single 12" sub in my s1 VE connected to standard headunit and stock speakers. no problems at all :)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
another option for us VE owners is to buy an amp with high level inputs (that is, you can just connect the speaker wires coming out of the stock head unit directly into the amp, which then goes to the speakers).
either that, or buy a dedicated Line Out Converter... but unfortuntely other than setting up a completely independant head unit in the glove box or something, our options are pretty limited.

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
another option for us VE owners is to buy an amp with high level inputs (that is, you can just connect the speaker wires coming out of the stock head unit directly into the amp, which then goes to the speakers).
either that, or buy a dedicated Line Out Converter... but unfortuntely other than setting up a completely independant head unit in the glove box or something, our options are pretty limited.

That's what I did with mine, bought an amp with HL inputs, speakers and sub, had it all installed last week, sounds awesome running off stock HU. :)

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
check out this thread.... my car is one in the pics.... its a Series II with the IQ Set up...... with all new speakers and amps which youll be able to see in that thread

im pretty confident in saying the SV6 and SS (not SS-V) do not have amplifiers from the factory im sure they just run off the head unit.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
^^Umm, you didn't post a link.

im pretty confident in saying the SV6 and SS (not SS-V) do not have amplifiers from the factory im sure they just run off the head unit.

Correct. Only the SSV and CalaisV have the "premium sound system" with an amplifier.

Cunningstunter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Got my VE SSV ute head unit modd'd by Phreddy/ASR. I did want SQ and was best to go this way VS LOC, even though many salesman tried to tell me that LOC is fine for SQ I am also a musician and know a little bit about this stuff even if its not directly related to the car scene....but essentially comes down to how and when you amplify your signal.

ASRs kit is SUPERB and no issues in 12 months of use. Less than $200 (which is alot less than No Limit when they tried to mod it first, which saw the output from the mod was T O T A L L Y unusable) - not so with ASRs mod and thankfully he was able to reverse the mods performed by NL. (and I have detailed pics on the differences of the 2, just speaking facts no personal vendetta's here ;o) No Limit have some great options for hard drives and VIM but all I needed was some RCA connections.......not entirely No Limit's fault as I didn't realise I should've also sent them the stereo face/surround to properly test so I will happily take part of the blame there.

Whats the cost of the LOC? I'd imagine not much less than the ASR mod which at the time was $160.