Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series 2 SV6 transmission query

VT00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SV6 Auto sedan
Hi guys,

About 3 weeks ago I took delivery of my new girl, and in that time have managed to rack up about 800kms on the clock.

I'm very happy with it so far, I just have one query re the sports auto transmission. Recently I have found that if I'm driving at about 60km/h and take my foot off the pedal to just coast (if I'm coming up to a red light for example) it will decrease in speed naturally until it gets down to about 45-40km/h - at which point it will downshift a gear and start to forcibly brake by itself (with enough force to move me forward in my seat slighty). This is somewhat strange but I'm unsure if this is normal ? Also, I've noticed that the upshifting when accelerating can be somewhat jerky occasionly.

I'm wondering if I should take it back to the dealer for a look, or should I just mention it and get them to look at it when it goes in for it's 3000km service. I dont want to waste my time going down there if this is normal behavior.

Also, on completely unrelated matter, the brake pedal is VERY soft and spongy. Is this common with the new SV6s ? Or something else I need to mention at the first service.

Cheers

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Wait for your 3000 k's service, but it doesn't sound like it's a problem.

as for brakes...yes they are rubbish in my opinion...

i mean brakes themselves are ok, but not a very good match for such heavy car

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Brakes are OK if you jump on them just not real good feel. Wouldn't want to be heating them up I reckon they'd fade pretty quick.

EnFoRcEr_001

Deano
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 A5
Also, on completely unrelated matter, the brake pedal is VERY soft and spongy. Is this common with the new SV6s ? Or something else I need to mention at the first service.

The brake is common, let them wear in took mine about 2000km's to come good. dont know why but you do start getting some feeling eventually just take some time to wear in.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Ive noticed the auto-downshift aswell, first time I used sport shift, was coming upto a corner in 3rd went to downshift into 2nd not realizing the car had already done so itself and ended up in 1st, gave me quite a shock! Lol luckily was only going 30-40ks. If there's an option of turning the auto downshift off I would like to hear of it

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I've been playing with the manual shift on mine for 18mths now. No way of stopping the auto down shift once revs/speed to low for gear. Shift it like you would a manual and use engine to brake it a little. Also if you time your last downshift well enough so that the blip occurs a fraction before you're back in the throttle it will pull much better out of the corner. Just to state the bloody obvious.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
Hi guys,

About 3 weeks ago I took delivery of my new girl, and in that time have managed to rack up about 800kms on the clock.

I'm very happy with it so far, I just have one query re the sports auto transmission. Recently I have found that if I'm driving at about 60km/h and take my foot off the pedal to just coast (if I'm coming up to a red light for example) it will decrease in speed naturally until it gets down to about 45-40km/h - at which point it will downshift a gear and start to forcibly brake by itself (with enough force to move me forward in my seat slighty). This is somewhat strange but I'm unsure if this is normal ? Also, I've noticed that the upshifting when accelerating can be somewhat jerky occasionly.

I'm wondering if I should take it back to the dealer for a look, or should I just mention it and get them to look at it when it goes in for it's 3000km service. I dont want to waste my time going down there if this is normal behavior.

Cheers

i know exactly what you are talking about regarding auto downshifts.
dont worry about the shift points when k's travelled is so low. mine did that a little too but it goes away as time goes on. cant remember whether it was during or after 3000km service, but definitely by 5000km everything was running sweet as. just let the car 'settle in'... everything improves. fuel economy will also improve, as will response. I dont know why (maybe tuning or something at service), but at 15,000km the car felt more lively and responsive than it ever did at 3,000km.

long story short, if you have concerns tell dealer... but otherwise I wouldnt worry about it.