Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 USB DEVICE ERROR

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Hi there, was on my way to work this morning listening to music off the usb. Got to work and when i turned the ignition off (the IQ stays on until you open the door) the music stopped playing and said usb device error. Bit strange when all i did was turn the ignition off. When i opened the door and the IQ turned off, i tried turning the ignition on again and the usb mode would stay blank as if no usb was inserted and nothing would happen. So i got out locked the car and left the car for a few hours. Came back and tried it again and bam, the usb started playing music again. Bit dodgy. Holden have updated the IQ firmware to the latest about a month ago and its been fine. Until just today. Although when i got home today and turned the ignition off the usb was still playing how it should. Really random

Any suggestions? or just a glitch you think

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I have had this too. But only when I start the car it does it. Not very often though. I just press the radio button then back to media and all is good. Hopefully they fix it in the next update. Had this happen in a MY12 and MY12.5 car.

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
I have had this too. But only when I start the car it does it. Not very often though. I just press the radio button then back to media and all is good. Hopefully they fix it in the next update. Had this happen in a MY12 and MY12.5 car.

Thanks for the reply, yeah it was very strange. Almost seemed like a Korean iq system lol. Sometimes it will take 5 - 10 seconds to load the usb at first start up. sometimes it will come on and play the music in 1 second. Its random. Funny how i have the latest update and it still has issues...

Calais-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, VE Calais-V Series II
Happens to me all the time. I just unplug and replug the cable and that usually fixes it temporarily. Annoying as hell though

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Its caused by sudden electrical dips and spikes.

You will notice it a lot if you have retro fitted an IQ unit to a Series I model, and you havent used the genuine USB cable.
You will also notice it when you have high inductance or high capacitance loads (Such as aftermarket HID lights), pressing the horn, flashing high beams with high wattage globes, and things like this
The solution is to add an inline power filter to the two power lines that feed the IQ unit.
(Or add a power filtering capacitor close to the power supply on the IQ unit).

It may not make the problem totally dissapear, but it definitely will make a difference.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
Its caused by sudden electrical dips and spikes.

You will notice it a lot if you have retro fitted an IQ unit to a Series I model, and you havent used the genuine USB cable.
You will also notice it when you have high inductance or high capacitance loads (Such as aftermarket HID lights), pressing the horn, flashing high beams with high wattage globes, and things like this
The solution is to add an inline power filter to the two power lines that feed the IQ unit.
(Or add a power filtering capacitor close to the power supply on the IQ unit).

It may not make the problem totally dissapear, but it definitely will make a difference.

In my situation it's happen on brand new stock cars.

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
It has not has a USB device error as of yet. The only thing i have done to the car atm is installed a 200amp stinger battery isolator where the old one was (ex police car with the 2nd battery) And ran 0 gauge wiring between the batteries, fused at both. Also currently have the audio control lc6i hooked up to work with the IQ. If this usb device error has occurred once before at random. What would the chances of it happening again when i'm running 1200rms? Then again NickVR stated that this has been happening to stock new cars. Hmmm, Would i have any issues using AUX or a CD? never tried either of those before

Bomber R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII R8 Clubsport
There are more than a few cases where Holden have swapped the whole IQ unit out under warranty due to it being a cheap, mass produced bit of kit because it's easier and cheaper than diagnosing a cracked solder joint etc. I wouldn't stress to much when running amps as their place in the audio chain is after the LOC.

Have you updated the IQ firmware to the latest version?

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Yeah, i have the latest firmware. Its so annoyong when i get the error. I cannot get it working unless i leave the car alonef awhile then come back. Its not as easy as changing it to radio then baxk again. Does not work

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I suffered from this issue and others with my USB stick. Holden fitted a whole new iQ and internal box with new updated firmware, still did it. I went and changed the brand of USB stick and its been fine ever since.