Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 Ute Audio Upgrade

191kieran191

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 Thunder Ute
Hi i have recently bought a brand new ve series 2 thunder ute and the sound system is well crap lol so i called up autobarn and they gave me a quote for a upgrade but it seems a little over priced and well dodgy here is what they said they will install Alpine type r splits and run them off the stock headunit and take all the bass out of them sounds a little of but meh. they will install a 12 inch kicker sub powered by a pioneer amp the quote they gave me this is including wiring kit and everything even install for $2000. i asked them can you amp my speakers instead of going with a sub and they said no because i can get engine noise through my speakers. so what do you think i should do.

Taitanium

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6 SEDAN
Hi mate i got a series 1 sv6 and i got it done at JB hifi.. got it installed for 150 bucks. i bought my own sub and amp.. just got a Kenwood amp and 12 inch kicker sub. didnt amp the speakers as the guy is right, you will hear engine noise. i feel ya mate, im in the same boat. im pretty7 happy with the sounds.. :)

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Thunder Sandman, 6-speed Manual
Mono block for subs, amp for speakers, bigger better battery will create better sound, same with thick nice product cable and also sound deadening behind the speakers, a better head unit will also increase noise. There is a lot you can do. Go to a professional audio installer, autobarn and such play around to much with your wiring loom instead of using harnesses and they also do dodgy jobs.

Blockab

R8WAGZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE HSV CLUBSPORT R8 TOURER
Hey mate, I know im digging up an old thread but i just finished fitting my system. I had the ASR RCA modification done which made life easier, i have amped my speakers and sub and i hyave no engine noise at all. I recommend you spend the dollars and get some really good RCAs as the VEs are notorious for engine whine.

Metz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II
Go to j b hi fi, get some quotes.

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate, I know im digging up an old thread but i just finished fitting my system. I had the ASR RCA modification done which made life easier, i have amped my speakers and sub and i hyave no engine noise at all. I recommend you spend the dollars and get some really good RCAs as the VEs are notorious for engine whine.

And dynomat. :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Go to j b hi fi, get some quotes.

Best to go to professional audio installers if you want quality.

JB Hi-first and autobarn and all that produce crappy installs from wiring to speaker combinations. Etc.

Metz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series II
I took my car there and I gotta say I was impressed, everything was crisp clear.

How can you say they produce crappy installs? Have you been to every single jb store?

Btw jb hi fi is pretty much the only closet place for car audio where I stay

Mainly newbies going into car audio the first place they would look is jb hi fi or some where mainstream like me lol

My mate recommended a place in Gold Coast, where he said they had 18"s and brands like Rockford fosgate and Phoenix gold.

I'll check it out when I go pro, in the meantime I'm happy with what I have for now

GoodTimes

Reaction score
Members Ride
I took my car there and I gotta say I was impressed, everything was crisp clear.

How can you say they produce crappy installs? Have you been to every single jb store?

Btw jb hi fi is pretty much the only closet place for car audio where I stay

Mainly newbies going into car audio the first place they would look is jb hi fi or some where mainstream like me lol

My mate recommended a place in Gold Coast, where he said they had 18"s and brands like Rockford fosgate and Phoenix gold.

I'll check it out when I go pro, in the meantime I'm happy with what I have for now

Yeah well I have over $12, 000 worth of speakers in my garage. I don't like JB-HI-FI installs.

nitro91

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
or you can do the install yourself like i just did to my ssv ute.

It was my first time and took about 30 hours lol to install image dynamics splits amped and image dynamics subwoofer with monoblock, also made the box out of mdf for it.
no engine noise either?

its with IQ too, overall i think its not that hard, just know what youre doing and its more labour intensive.

only problem is where to store two amps, i got mine under the passengers seat.

sounds awesome though.

good thing is battery is behind the passenger seat not in the engine bay too for the ute