Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series I Bluetooth troubleshooting?

Discussion in 'VE Holden Commodore (2006 - 2013)' started by decromin, Aug 7, 2013.

1. decromin

decromin New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V International
    Picked up a 07 Calais International recently, and i'm having some fun trying to get the inbuilt bluetooth connection for the phone working. Holding the phone button on the wheel brings up the phone icon on the dash, but I cannot find the "Vehicle BT" device when searching on any of my devices. The previous owner had an after market kit installed, so it's possible that either

a) the BT stuff hasn't been reconnected properly after the kit was removed, or
    b) it wasn't working anyway, hence the after market kit.

Does anyway have any ideas/info on where I can start checking things to see what I'm up against? I'm not against another aftermarket kit, especially since I'd like to add BT audio streaming soon too. This is my first VE after having a few VT/X/Y cars in the past, so it's a little foreign to me at the moment!

(Oh, and I've been nosing around over at carmodder, and I've got some ideas about raspberry pi based in car PC's and sniffing the CANBUS for steering wheel controls to control it, but one step at a time!)

2. Zerone_V

Zerone_V New Member

Members Ride:
    Lexus IS350 (SL)
    Hi there,

For series I models, the factory blue tooth module is located just above the glove box. (To access it the glovebox needs to be removed).
    It is possible to remove the Bluetooth module, and have the cluster still respond to pressing the bluetooth button on the steering wheel controls.
    (The cluster just pumps out a bluetooth button press event on the SW Can, and displays the Phone icon on the cluster screen when this occurs).

So it is possible that this module has been removed (For some unknown reason), though being a Calais, at least you will have all the required wiring in place to add the module back in there if it is missing.

(I just had a look for pictures of the bluetooth module and its location, and couldnt find any, though I am sure I have them offline somewhere if that helps ?)

Cheers
    Matti

3. decromin

decromin New Member

Members Ride:
    Cheers Matti - I found some interesting pic over at this thread, so I might pop the glovebox out on the weekend and have a poke about. Might just not be plugged in (I'm all for simple fixes!)

4. decromin

decromin New Member

Members Ride:
    OK - had some progress towards sorting this out!

I pulled the glovebox out and found that , sure enough, the bluetooth module was unplugged. There was also a bunch of spade connectors plugged into the big white plug on the left hand side of the glovebox - I assume these were used by the previous after market kit. I reconnected the unit, and removed all the connectors and success! The Vehicle BT connection popped up, and I was able to trigger voice dialing from the steering wheel after I paired. Only problem now is that the head unit is not cutting the audio over to the phone when a call is initiated ... grr. I didn't test an incoming call, but is there any settings or something else that I should be looking at?

Cheers!

Jeff

5. Davejames73

Davejames73 New Member

Members Ride:
    Ve Omega
    Did you manage to fix the problem as I am having the exact same issue any info would be appreciated. Cheers

6. decromin

decromin New Member

Members Ride:
    Yes - it turns out the previous owner had removed the 'accessories patch harness connector'. It's a plug that has three loopback cables and plugs into a jack under the glovebox. I picked one up from holden ($116 tyvm ... you can't get the plug by itself, so I ended up with a spare loom), plugged it in and everything is working again.

7. tonysholden22

tonysholden22 New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Commodore
    Maybe the BT software is not updated, it happens. Or it might not be compatible with the BT on your phone.

8. James007

James007 New Member

Members Ride:
    2009 VE Commodore SV6
    Sorry to bring back a dead post, just recently purchased a 2009 VE SV6 and i had removed the glove box to find that it too was disconnected.

as decromin took note of he had to purchase a "accessories patch harness connector" may I be sent a photo of the plug either to purchase or a photo of it plugged in looking normal and an idea of where to buy it cheers!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018