Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II Air Conditioner Mystery.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
Yesterday afternoon was pretty warm, over 30 degrees. Drove about 50 k's with air con on, no problems. Parked the car for 3 hours and the weather got a little cooler into the evening. When we started, the air con wouldn't start. It was NOT a sticky 'minus' switch because the fan continued to work normally. When I changed to defrost I got a message "air con cannot be turned OFF while in defrost mode' - even though air con was showing as OFF. Turned car off and let it sit a couple of times, but it would not reset.

This morning it is fine and working again and as cold as usual.

Once before, it was about 42 degrees and the air con just went off while I was driving. After about 5 minutes it just came back on again.

I have seen a few threads which say there is internal protections, and it will turn off when the gas gets low. The car is only 6 months old and like I say, it normally works fine.

I suppose I'm asking if it could be a software issue that I can live with for a month until the 15,000k service or if I have to take it in straight away and get the gas checked or this problem sorted. We are 50k's from our dealer so little warranty issues like this are painful.

Thanks.

ozlad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z sedan
Your not alone with this problem or something similar. Mine was 1 day old driving back from Brisbane to Mackay when it was 34deg outside and getting hotter inside. Tried lowering temp..... no luck! Tried putting on recircle....no joy! At this time dealer rings to ask how car is going and copped it from wife. Try putting it auto he said.....still hot! Got crapped off pretty much about now as 300k's from nearest dealer. So I put it back on fresh air and turned it off. 5 minutes later heard a big crack (thought it was stone chip) but caught out of the corner of my eye something fly out of the centre air vents, looked like plastic to me but wife said it was ice.... Air started to get colder (still had not turned aircon back on yet) and has stayed that way. Could be a software problem as Bluetooth also keeps turning off with out touching it. When I went to Holden here with my last VE the reply was "we will look at it on the next service". Expect the same again from them. Anyone got some ideas? VE SSV Z sedan

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I haven't had anything a major as that happen, however I have had one instance where I couldn't adjust the air-con settings at all - Seemed to be locked out. Shut off the car & turned it back on again & all was fine... Haven't noticed a problem since.

imoo6170

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Yesterday afternoon was pretty warm, over 30 degrees. Drove about 50 k's with air con on, no problems. Parked the car for 3 hours and the weather got a little cooler into the evening. When we started, the air con wouldn't start. It was NOT a sticky 'minus' switch because the fan continued to work normally. When I changed to defrost I got a message "air con cannot be turned OFF while in defrost mode' - even though air con was showing as OFF. Turned car off and let it sit a couple of times, but it would not reset.

This morning it is fine and working again and as cold as usual.

Once before, it was about 42 degrees and the air con just went off while I was driving. After about 5 minutes it just came back on again.

I have seen a few threads which say there is internal protections, and it will turn off when the gas gets low. The car is only 6 months old and like I say, it normally works fine.

I suppose I'm asking if it could be a software issue that I can live with for a month until the 15,000k service or if I have to take it in straight away and get the gas checked or this problem sorted. We are 50k's from our dealer so little warranty issues like this are painful.

Thanks.

I had a similar prob just before Christmas. Driving in the heat, air was working ok, stopped for 15 minutes and then the air would not work. Tried everything on the controls, still no go. Got home checked every fuse, all were ok. Started that car 3 hours later and preso air conditioning is now working. Has not happened since. Talked to my local dealer and of course they said I would need to see the car when it is happening sir !!!

Touch wood it has not happened again.

Craigo8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Senator Signature
Hey Mate,
These A/C problems are more than likely to do with the HVAC module.I remember our PD dept had problems with faulty HVAC modules in new cars we were inspecting.On some cars blower fan would increase when button was being turned down & also intermittent shutting down of entire system.Fairly easy to replace(just behind centre console centre dash) take your car to dealer and check for fault codes & ask them to replace the HVAC module.I do not know if this is definitely will fix the issues but in most cases I found this fixed the A/C issues.Hope this helps

Craigo8

JAC72VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ute
on my 2011 sv6, my aircon stops being cold after about 20mins of driving, I found if I turn the fan up to max it starts working again ,for awhile, I,ll see what they say at the next service,,, my rodeo work ute does the same thing also...........

perfektion

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore Series II SV6
I haven't had anything a major as that happen, however I have had one instance where I couldn't adjust the air-con settings at all - Seemed to be locked out. Shut off the car & turned it back on again & all was fine... Haven't noticed a problem since.

Did your IQ look like this: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361020469.838084.jpg

It has happened to me a few times, I have to turn the car on and off like you said to get it back to normal...

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
I have had it too, mine would not re set even after turning the car off etc. I had to reset factory settings to fix it.

stubec16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Equipe Sportswagon LPG
Did your IQ look like this: View attachment 157155

It has happened to me a few times, I have to turn the car on and off like you said to get it back to normal...

My IQ didn't look like that, had all the info, but showed AC off. So not unique to mine.
Thanks for all your replies, havn't had any trouble for days. I'll let them know at the next service (soon).

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I've had same prob a couple of times, but after turning car off then back on again it sorted its self out. I also had sticky minus button that was fixed by the dealer.