Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II air-conditioning has shut down.

jumpnut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Equipe Sportswagon
Hi,

I have a 2011 Series II Equipe Sportswagon which has given me nothing but grief since the day we purchased it. First off we had the engine warning light come on and off intermittently and I ended up going back to the service centre 4 times in total to get it resolved.

Now around 3 weeks ago the air-conditioning system decides to pack it in. If I try to advance the fan speed upwards it works but as soon as you release the button it cycles straight back to 00 speed. If I try to hit the auto button it does nothing either. On the iQ screen it shows the air-conditioning icon as being off. The only thing that seems to work is the demister mode which has helped on those humid days. Apart from that it does squat in cooling the car down.

When I first took it back to the service centre the assistant manager told me it is a known problem in the Series II vehicle with iQ and that Holden were/are in the process of writing a software upgrade. He said it would take around a week. The week went by and I phoned them up only to be told still no action and may take a few more weeks. I decided to call the selling dealership (further from where I live), they said they were not aware of any problems with air-con etc. and to bring it in to get looked at. So I did this and they could tell me absolutely nothing. They said if it needs a software upgrade it wouldn't be until the 1st week of March until it is available. F****** useless.

So I called the Holden "we don't care" customer care line. How hopeless are these people? They couldn't assist me with any technical matter, couldn't transfer me to anyone who could and basically left me on the end of the phone wondering what the purpose of their existence is. They said to go through the service centre for all technical matters/enquiries, which I have been doing to no avail.

So I contact the service centre again. He tells me if you need action to talk to the sales people who can contact GM directly. So I did this. The sales person came back to say I have to wait until first week of March (approximate) and that it all they can do. Their hands are tied.

Meanwhile, in the middle of summer, I am stuck with a brand new $37,000 car with no functioning air-conditioning and no immediate result to fix the problem!!!

Is anyone esle aware of such issues or can you give me some advice to better deal with the situation. I am getting very frustrated with everyone involved and the total and utter lack of customer support from the dealer, service centre and GM Holden themselves.

Thanks.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Sorry to hear about your problems there mate. I have a series II sv6 with no problems at all with the aircon. There were a few niggles with the IQ system from the start but an upgrade fixed this. I would say an upgrade to the system will work for you but they obviously don't have one yet.

Good luck

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
There is a problem and Holden has been trying to fix it since november. Dealers can't do anything because its a software issue. So getting angry at them will do nothing but make you look like a customer who's abusive.

Titleist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE s2 SSV
no , it will show dealers that their expensive product is pretty average, and customers shouldn't have to deal with their poor responses to constant problems...
three months is too long to sort out a fix....heaven forbid , having an expensive car designed and built in Australia ,parking it in the Australian sun....who would of thought that would happen.

My Series 2 SSV did the same thing with the air con after having it parked outside in the sun for about an hour , the cabin was obviously hot, and when i started it to put the air con on , it had a hissy fit like that...
i drove it home and put it in the carport , and when it cooled down it was fine again , and it's been ok ever since touch wood...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Its nothing to do with software. The fan speed minus button sticks in, this is why the fan speed keeps dropping to zero.

Simply manipulate the minus button to free it up and it will be sweet. We've done a few of these and they havent refaulted.

vrollin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Cant the service centre reflash the IQ system, even if it is with the same version, kinda like reinstalling windows when **** goes pear shaped...

jumpnut

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II Equipe Sportswagon
Ricey my friend you are a lifesaver....it worked!!!!

Who would have thought it was something so simple.

I haven't got angry with the service centre as such, just expressed my disappointment at the lack of action or interest in trying to fix the problem.

Now though the following question comes to mind. How is it that I can go on to a public internet forum to get an answer about this issue while highly trained and experienced Holden service technicians couldn't even work it out? And did they simply go to the "software upgrade" issue as a failsafe? It's easy to say this to customers when the car is highly dependant on the computer system, especially now with the iQ in place. It's not like I can jump up and down and create a fuss. Software technicians take time don't they.

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it. And a big thanks to you Ricey for providing a solution that seems to have worked. Unbelievable!!!

Chris.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I am a Holden tech :)

vrollin

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
How is it that I can go on to a public internet forum to get an answer about this issue while highly trained and experienced Holden service technicians.....

Chris.

Woah woah stop right there, Ive heard some silly things in my time, but highly trained and experienced holden service technicians...? Ive known a couple, wouldnt trust them with the task of putting milk back in the fridge let alone working on a vehicle....

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Woah woah stop right there, Ive heard some silly things in my time, but highly trained and experienced holden service technicians...? Ive known a couple, wouldnt trust them with the task of putting milk back in the fridge let alone working on a vehicle....

Same as any trade, theres always incompetent people giving the rest a bad name.