Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II Commodore Security query

PaulsSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
Hi all,

A few months ago I parked my Series II VE Commodore at Westfields Liverpool I always lock the car properly, so I put the Club lock on and double checked that all doors and windows were properly shut. I pressed the immobilizer button on the key fob to enable the central locking and immobilizer and walked away.

When I returned to my car, the key fob button was pressed and the horn barked three times.
I then discovered the drivers door was ajar.

I never leave anything of value in my car, so there was nothing visible to invite a crook. There was no sign of any forced entry, so I assume these thieves had a scanning device and detected the signal from my key fob when I locked it.

Thankfully there was no damage and nothing was stolen.

Two questions:

1) I assume the three toots indicates that my car's security system detected entry when the car was immobilized. I couldn't find any further explanation in the owners manual.

2) Is it possible to have the radio frequency altered in my key fob? As these thieves now have the frequency for my car, all they need to do is find my car parked and they will have access.

I would be very interested to hear any thoughts or feedback. I assume I'm not the first Commodore owner who has had this happen? What options do have available please?

Cheers, Paul

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Firstly, are you the original owner ?,
If not, did you buy the car locally ?
It would be best have all the existing keys erased from your car receiver.
And re-program in only the ones you have in your possession,
Copying codes is a little over advertised,
You have to be at the right place at the right time, scanning the right frequency,
More likely someone may have had a VE key with a similar code, being all the VE’s use the same frequency, so I would gather all your keys in your possession are get them erased, from your car, and re-program in.
It’s not the hard, should take no more then approx. 15 minutes, if you know what you doing.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:

PaulsSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
Hi Krusing,

Thanks for the reply. I am the original owner. Could you please explain further how I erase all the existing keys and re-program them in?

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Krusing,

Thanks for the reply. I am the original owner. Could you please explain further how I erase all the existing keys and re-program them in?

Please check next reply,
I tried to reply to you on my phone, but hit the save button, and unable to delete this incorrect comment/reply

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
You will need a Tech2 or a Autel, or similar Analyzer unit to erase and re-program in your keys,
If your a bit concerned that there may be another key out there with a similar code,
May I suggest to get 2 replacement Key Heads, and only program the new ones in, where you can still re-use the existing Key Blades, Just replace the Remotes.
I did just that when I got my VE, and recently programmed in a replacement day to day Key (a non flip) I use, as the existing remote would only work if I was with in 1 metre of the rear of my car (Wagon) as explained in a post back in October/November last year, being the receiver is in the head lining at the back of the wagon, and under the parcel shelf in a sedan.

Last edited:

PaulsSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
Much appreciated info Krusing, thanks very much for replying.

Having visited my local Holden dealer at the time and told them my story, they started rattling on about changing over the door actuators and new ECU's etc with equally ridiculous price tags.

I'll see what they can tell me about replacement key heads ( remotes ) instead. May as well get the keys switched over to the spring loaded flick blades while I'm at it.

Cheers, Paul

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Krusing,

If you do need a couple of Remotes, I can put you on to a locksmith (that I found on eBay and have used in the past) and you can deal directly with him.
No commission for me, you email them direct and explain what you require, and they will supply the remotes (Key heads), then you need to get them programmed in.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Much appreciated info Krusing, thanks very much for replying.

Having visited my local Holden dealer at the time and told them my story, they started rattling on about changing over the door actuators and new ECU's etc with equally ridiculous price tags.

I'll see what they can tell me about replacement key heads ( remotes ) instead. May as well get the keys switched over to the spring loaded flick blades while I'm at it.

Cheers, Paul

The locksmith I used, cut my Key to code, which is indicated in the Owners manual on the Security Card,
it says Key Number - xxxxx
Don’t let Holden do it, it will cost you approx $320 per Key,
Where you only need the Key Heads (Remotes)
Flip Remotes approx $90 ea supply, cut and delivered, just need to get them programmed in via a reputable locksmith in your area, or a local person that may be on JC’ for a little bit of cash. ;)

Last edited:

PaulsSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6
Thanks for the info Krusing, very useful.

It seems that VE Commodores are prone to A/C issues too. I did a quick search this evening and found a mobile unit here in SW Sydney who also does keys. Might have a chat with him when he checks my A/C system.

I suspect it's a gas leak in my A/C as it tries to blow cold but it's room temp at best. I have had the car since new ( Jan 2011 ) and have never had to recharge the gas system - yet.

Cheers, Paul

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
1) I assume the three toots indicates that my car's security system detected entry when the car was immobilized. I couldn't find any further explanation in the owners manual.

In earlier Commodores this happens when you try to lock the car (or maybe even just use the FOB) with a door ajar. AFIAK, the only mechanism to tell you that the car has been broken into is the actual alarm itself going off.

IMHO I really doubt your FOB frequency has been intercepted, and even so, SV6 isn't really super desirable to the kinds of people who would go to the effort of investing in and using that kind of technology.