Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series II - Holden IQ - Audio upgrade help

jimkera

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV E3 Clubsport
I need some advice for improving the sound quality from a Holden IQ setup as found on the VE Series II.
Actually I have a HSV E3 ClubSport.

1) Would changing the rear coaxials, and front splits only make a big difference? e.g. going with Polk db651 and db6501
2) Is it better to get better quality front splits and leave the rears as stock?
3) Is it worth adding an amplifier for the door speakers?
4) Any advice on which amplifier?
4) Do VE Series II - Holden IQ system with added amplifiers suffer from engine noise issues?

If you have any experience with these Holden IQ systems then I'd love to hear from you

Thanks.

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Greg from ASR can modify the head unit to have RCA connections. I still believe I am the only IQ system he has done to date so this can certainly be done. He is in Sydney though so not sure if there is anyone in Adelaide that could do it for you. Not unless you feel like a drive.....I know Greg does travel as well. This will do away with needing any LOC's to run amps. You do only need this mod done if you are going to run amps and if you want decent sound then that's what you'd need to do.

I changed my rear speakers but in your case I wouldn't bother. My rears aren't amped and they don't really need to be, you want the sound coming from in front of you.

What I did was change the front splits to a decent set of splits and amped them through the new RCA's. I also ran the rear RCA's to a mono amp and added a sub. I wouldn't recommend any brands because you really need to hear them yourself. Just get a good amp to match the speakers correctly.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Welcome to ASR Audio & Electronics Home Page

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
BTW, I did have engine noise issues but later found that it was only an RCA that wasn't grounded properly. The connection was a little loose. No engine noise what-so-ever from my system now.

jimkera

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV E3 Clubsport
Thanks Woollie,
What does Greg charge for the RCA mod?
What amp did you use for the front splits?

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
Greg charged me $165 from memory. It was a bit more fiddly to do than the series 1 but we got there in the end. It wasn't nice seeing a brand new dash pulled apart for this to be done but it worked out good for others with series 2's because now he knows what he is doing. I was glad to be the guinea pig.

I ended up using this amp Kenwood KAC-9405 Car Amplifier - RYDA Car Audio($239.85)

If you are only running the fronts you would be better using this 2 channel Kenwood KAC-7205 Car Amplifier - RYDA Car Audio($228.85)

If I had to choose another set of front splits I'd be going for the Alpine type R's next time I think. They should handle the power of the amp well.

duca1991

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive
Does this void stereo warranty? I changed front speakers... I just found out my iq system has a recall on the firmware as my car was at the beginning of the series 2. the other day the iq system just reset on me. Screen went black and make a stupid noise.

grafton

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE II SV6 NITRATE SPORTWAGON
Does this void stereo warranty? I changed front speakers... I just found out my iq system has a recall on the firmware as my car was at the beginning of the series 2. the other day the iq system just reset on me. Screen went black and make a stupid noise.

I have an early series 2 as well. I had no issues with mine but holden done the firmware update & now my front centre speaker will not fade out, the sound is ****...you loose heaps of bass & the loudness button does not work, the start-up volume functions & phone volume do not work & also the voice guidence output speaker settings will no longer work. My phone now comes through all 5 speakers. It took holden 6 weeks to get a technician up from Sydney to flash it back, but he only flashed the sound quality back, & not the VuC software. None of the other **** that I mentioned works now. Just a warning, but your decision. If you browse through the forums, you will find a few more complaining about the same problem after the so called UPDATE. Also after the update, or in the models after about the 10/2011 every one has disconnected the front centre speaker because it will not fade out any more.This has been going on since the 3 of feb 2013. 3 1/2 months of "palm me off" bullshit!! It is now in the hands of dept of fair trading. cheers