Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series II Speaker upgrade

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
i know theres alot of threads about audio upgrades in VE's, but there more towards subs and amps. This is just for speakers.

ATM i am only looking at upgrading the speakers, wanting to know whos done this, and what size speakers they used.

Reason in asking, im looking at sets of 6.5"s that are 64mm deep, and want to check that theres plenty of clearance in the door and those arent too deep. Also how much room is there in the center speaker.. i know most people just disconnect it, but im going to put a half decent 4" in.

anyone thats done work and has any photos of the door trims off and/or the dash off to get to the tweaters, it would be greatly appreciated

cheers, Troy

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
T

tommySV6Ute

My missus would go nuts if I pulled the dash down to that extent. I'm more a pay someone else to do the tricky bits kind of owner.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Cheers mate, Awsome right up and pics!

What's the depth of your speakers? I figured the doors where deep, though didn't take into account how deep with the windows down..

With the dynamat, did you strip that plastic off first, or just straight over the top?

And what's it like taking all the trims off, break any clips or anything, and does it all fit back together like new, or can you tell it's been off?

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Do you have upgraded stereo if so get a sub and amp and leave the factory speakers till they blow, then replace them.
They sound fine cranked in my wagon with no distortion.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
nah mate, the standard speakers are absolutley terrible, getting swapped out for some decent 6.5"s and im not going down the sub and amp road in this car. i may amp the speakers at some stage, but no sub/amp

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Do you have upgraded stereo if so get a sub and amp and leave the factory speakers till they blow, then replace them.

Take your ear plugs out!

They are the cheapest speakers available.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L

I think this is because you dont know any different.
That's not having a go, but when you get around to listening to a good audio setup you'll very quickly hear the shortfalls of the stock system. But until you do, the stock system will indeed continue to be "fine" to you. Even a simple speaker upgrade (and leaving everything else stock) makes a big difference. Putting in an amp is another step. And then a sub completes the picture, because there are sounds that you never heard before.

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
Actually i have owned many modified cars with expensive systems in them so i know a decent stereo when i hear one
and unless you are going in DB comps or are lapping your popular spot then the blaupunkt speakers are fine with a sub and amp. (if that's what your doing then dismiss anything said)
I have done the upgraded stereo thing and if that's the way your going then just be careful pulling out the clips as they have a tendency to break being cheap plastic.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
I think it needs to be made mention that your car (ssv) will have the premium sound system? Which I'm assuming has different speakers. Otherwise the speakers in my sv6 are terrible sounding as soon as you try to run any kind of volume through them. As per original post, all I'm doing is swapping out the useless standard speakers for some decent well constructed ones, I don't want subs and amps, I'm over that stage.