Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series II Speaker upgrade

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Just in the middle of doing the speakers in my SSV but I did not want to play around adding amps and rewiring the whole thing at this stage so I am just replacing the stocks with something a bit better.

Its not particularly hard going that way as the doors have plenty of space and 6 1/2s pretty much just drop in.
The stocks are 30 watt 2 ohm splits in the front (6 1/2 in the front door plus dash mounted tweeters) and 2 ways in the back doors. As I am staying with the stock wiring and head unit I am putting in Infinity Kappa 2 ohm units (2 way in the back and splits in the front).

Only little trap is the minor wiring tweak for the splits. I was told "just replace the existing tweeters with the ones that come with the new splits but thats not strictly correct, you MUST use the crossover that comes with your new splits or you risk damaging the tweeters.
Proper splits take the full range line from the head unit into a crossover box which then splits out to the cables for the mid and tweeter. In the Holden they have gone cheep so the feed from the head unit simply divides under the dash with a full range feed to the door and also to the tweeters. Each tweeter then has a filter/capacitor soldered to it to cut out the lower frequencies.
In order to put in after market splits you need to connect the feed going to the door to the crossover and either find the tweeter wire under the dash and take that to the crossover or just drop a new wire from the tweeters down to the crossover instead.

Its not a hard job, just a bit time consuming but the results are certainly worth it.

I will do a full write up on it with pics when I get some time

At this stage I have just disconnected the centre speaker and one day I will look at replacing the subs with something a bit better. The stocks are 8inch 50 watt 2 ohm units.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Just in the middle of doing the speakers in my SSV but I did not want to play around adding amps and rewiring the whole thing at this stage so I am just replacing the stocks with something a bit better.

Its not particularly hard going that way as the doors have plenty of space and 6 1/2s pretty much just drop in.
The stocks are 30 watt 2 ohm splits in the front (6 1/2 in the front door plus dash mounted tweeters) and 2 ways in the back doors. As I am staying with the stock wiring and head unit I am putting in Infinity Kappa 2 ohm units (2 way in the back and splits in the front).

Only little trap is the minor wiring tweak for the splits. I was told "just replace the existing tweeters with the ones that come with the new splits but thats not strictly correct, you MUST use the crossover that comes with your new splits or you risk damaging the tweeters.
Proper splits take the full range line from the head unit into a crossover box which then splits out to the cables for the mid and tweeter. In the Holden they have gone cheep so the feed from the head unit simply divides under the dash with a full range feed to the door and also to the tweeters. Each tweeter then has a filter/capacitor soldered to it to cut out the lower frequencies.
In order to put in after market splits you need to connect the feed going to the door to the crossover and either find the tweeter wire under the dash and take that to the crossover or just drop a new wire from the tweeters down to the crossover instead.

Its not a hard job, just a bit time consuming but the results are certainly worth it.

I will do a full write up on it with pics when I get some time

At this stage I have just disconnected the centre speaker and one day I will look at replacing the subs with something a bit better. The stocks are 8inch 50 watt 2 ohm units.

Good info! I'm no stereo aficionado but I would like to swap the speakers out and throw in some dynamat at some point.

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
Boneart DEFINANTLY looking forward to your write up, make sure you take shitloads of pics ;) especially of the whole crossover situation!

I'm considering dynamating the doors aswell, though that shot is expensive!!

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
here you go mate this is on my Series II SV6

Heres the new Additions.....
2rerzg8.jpg

33ys19d.jpg

Real neat job, no panels were damaged. all the plastic clips back in perfect.. overall rating 10/10

Sound - WOW, cannot believe the clarity and endless volume i have now, its just amazing........ and no stereo whine, which is really good, as my previous car had really bad stereo whine, but the SV6 appears to have none!!!!!

Cost me overall $3200 Fitted - Not Dynamatted (yet)
Which included:
- Custom Sub box and Amp mounts designed for the VE. Carpeted Panel to finish and look neat.
-PDX 1.1000 Amplifier to run the twin 12" Type R Alpine Woofers........ Amp runs 1119wrms, according to Alpine's Certificate....
- PDX 4.1000 Amp to run 4 Type R 6.5" Speakers (2 Splits up front, 2 Coaxials rear)
- Plenty of boot space remaining,
- It took 2 full days to install.
- Comes with Australia Wide 3 year warranty.
- Will return in 1 month for adjustments and final Tune, atm only basic settings to run gear in.....

Final Comments: Very Happy, worthwile investment in opinion, i paid a bit extra for the install but only because i wanted the warranty and high quality finish which can be seen in the photos.
Bass is out of control, if your a P plater like me, its awesome haha but 1 sub is probably sufficient, Type R's are amazing!!!!!!!

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
It's amazing how many don't read or just don't pay attention to the original posts.. I am not interested in subs, I'm upgrading the SPEAKERS! And that's the info I'm after, not anything else.. But thanks anyway lol

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Lachie that really does look like an awesome job... Very professional. Where did you put the speakers? Behind the original grills?

LachieSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Poison Ivy SII SV6
Yeh mate, it is an awesome install, would never go back.

i can see you dont want subs, which is fine, its your car i was just posting up the info what i had done so you could see what you think

the speakers are all in their original spots. the bass is not like you might think Troyziee it is quite crisp and clear and does not ovverride the speakers.. however if your do want more all you have to do is keep hitting the volume dial and crank it up.

If you speak to the people who did my install they will tune it to however you like. I am returning my car to them on the weekend for a Final tune as its now all run in and ready to go. I like bass so im sure it will have endless bass when i get it back. hah

im take

Troyziee

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 SSV-R Sportwagon
heres a concern of myne, the rear 6.5 components are very oddley shaped, obviously without having had the door skins off myself i dont know if these will fit, though hopefully someone that has swapped out the speakers will know what my chances are of fitting these in....

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
heres a concern of myne, the rear 6.5 components are very oddley shaped, obviously without having had the door skins off myself i dont know if these will fit, though hopefully someone that has swapped out the speakers will know what my chances are of fitting these in....

Not sure mate. I had to make MDF spacer rings for my rear speakers. Just pull a rear door apart and see how you go. Takes less than 2 minutes to have the door skin off!

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
To get the trim off the door is easy in the VE.
There are phillips head screws along the bottom and front/hinge side plus one hidden under the middle of the arm rest.
There is a torx head screw under a small square plastic pop off cover under the door handle.
Run your hands around the door trim and pull it away from the door to pop the clips all around.
Disconnect the window switch plug. The lock clip is under the plug so put your fingers under it to release the clip.
You can disconnect the door latch cables or leave them in place and just move the trim out of the way.
The stock speaker is easily removed from its plastic pod in the door and the pod itself is easily removed if you need to modify it. On the back is a T shaped plug with the two +- wires
Depending on the new speakers you may need to trim a little off the pod and drill holes for screws etc. If the tweeters on the new two way stick out a lot or the speaker is an odd shape as VTSS350 said, you may need to cut MDF spacer rings.