Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE series II SV6 Sportwagon A/C fan intermittant

radbeck

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Ive read a few posts on similar problems to this but am not sure if this is the same.

Problem is 90% of the time I start my engine the main front A/C fan does not start. A/C is working on all other vents. If I immediately turn engine off then re start engine it comes on and works fine. Just a bit annoying on a stinking hot day plus needing to crank the engine twice to stay cool. Will this be a problem with the HVAC actuators? What was the procedure to reset again. I'll try that first.

Many thanks

radbeck

Reaction score
Did I post in the wrong section? Or maybe this was a stupid question. Was hoping someone with more knowledge could help out a little.

I read something about a relearn procedure. Unsure how this works exactly. Hold the rear demist and turn on ignition. Listen for sounds or wait 10-15 seconds. I've tried this several times now but I don't hear anything different. Ive tried with radio off and A/C off. Ive tried with radio off and A/C on. With the A/C and radio off I hear nothing. With the radio off and A/C on I just hear the A/C turn on. Nothing changes however. Am I doing this wrong? I still have the issue with the A/C center dash fan not working unless I restart the engine.

Please HELP!!

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Mate we work also and have a life outside JC.
No Admin sit on the site waiting for members to ask a questain and get a answer straight away.
Hope help comes your way.

radbeck

Reaction score
No problem. Thanks.

My intention wasn't to offend anyone. My apologies if this is the case.

radbeck

Reaction score
Can I bump this again? Not trying to upset anyone. Hoping someone can help.

cheers

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Turn your radio off, fan off etc.

Turn the ignition on, push and hold the rear demist button for about 5 seconds, you should hear all the actuators start moving.

This procedure only learns the position of the flaps, doesn't have anything to do with the fan I don't think. Give it a try. The noise is very faint.

radbeck

Reaction score
Many thanks for your help. I will give it another go. My rear demist doesn’t work however. Might be disconnected due to the rear window being tinted. Maybe that’s why it doesn’t seem to work for me. I’ll chase the rear demist too while I’m at it.

Much appreciated

Cheers

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Check fuses for rear demist mybe

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Air Con may need servicing, I think I read the VE’s had a A/C issue with a o-Ring on one of the fittings under the bonnet.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If I’m not mistaken, it sounds like sometimes cold air won’t blow out the centre vents but cold air always blows out the door side vents. From what I’ve read on these forums, I’d think this would be a problem with the way cold and hot air is mixed under the dash so likely an issue with the flaps which are used to for such air mixing.

As the AC system seems to work on the outside vents, I’d think this would indicate the system is gassed up correctly. But IIRC, I have read that lack of cold air on drivers door vent can indicate low gas in the AC system. Any leaking gas will also take oil and leak dye with it so you’d see oil around pipe fittings or green colour if using UV light to make the dye glow.