Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Shift kits for V6

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Does anyone know if they exist yet and what prices they start at? I saw one on eBay tonight but don't know if it would suit mine (despite the ad saying it does... i just have reservations atm).

Got the Alloytec 195kw with 5spd auto.

Also... are they worth it? My auto is basically looking like a giant computer chip to me with all the electronics in them these days! :yeah:

eBay link:
T700 B&M Shift Improver Kit VN TO VE

f1tzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
FG XR6T Ute manual
No it doesn't suit a ve mate completely different gearboxes in the ranges he reckons it will fit

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
mate that shift kits he' selling is suited for the 4speed auto in the omega not the 5sp in the sv6/calais.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
As above they are for the 4 speed in the Omega and Berlina.

They do not currently and I doubt ever will make a shift kit for the 5L40e as it was replaced in the US 2 years ago with the 6L50e lol Luckily Holden use up GM's spare parts bin so we're lucky enough to continue getting it.

But yeah as it was replaced on US models 2 years ago, I dont think you'll see Transgo developing much for it now. The one and only thing they made for it was in 2006 which was just a "Actuator Feed Limit Valve Repair Kit".

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
Thanks for all your replies ppl. I appreciate that. Really confirmed my initiall thoughts on it.

Can I expect anything to go wrong with the stock transmission if I start making engine mods and giving it a bit more hell? Basically I want to know if it is a well built tranny and can handle a bit of pressure.

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
they seem to handle 250rwkw from blowers fine can't see you hurting it.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Thanks for all your replies ppl. I appreciate that. Really confirmed my initiall thoughts on it.

Can I expect anything to go wrong with the stock transmission if I start making engine mods and giving it a bit more hell? Basically I want to know if it is a well built tranny and can handle a bit of pressure.

The 5L40e is actually rated for less torque than the 4 speed auto (@ 400NM). The 5L40e is only rated for 340NM of torque according to GM. And the high output 195 Alloytec makes...340NM of torque lol So its at the top of the reccomended rating from factory.

The load rating was partly why GM only used the transmission for 3 years in their other cars (2004-2007) and went to the 6L50e instead which is rated for 450NM. The 6L80e which is Holdens 6 speed auto is rated for around 600NM.

Its not going to instantly pack up but it would probably have a negative impact on the lifespan of the transmission. There is a stronger version of the 5L40e, named the 5L50e so if you can find the differences you'll know where GM believes its weaknesses are.