Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE sidi SV6 fuel economy

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
also with the SIDI, i would imagine you would get heaps better economy IF its the 3.6l and you swap out the induction system and take off the engine covers, its a massive heat trap

sv6newby

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 ute
yes its the 3.6l.... do u need a tune if you get a aftermarket induction and would it affect warranty?

i cant believe u get those figures.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
nar u dont need a tune!! And it only effects warranty if its the cause of the malfunction (which it wouldnt be anyway) all i do when I service it at holden is put back on the stock intake.

But yeh, give it a few more km's and you will see heaps better fuel economy, take off the engine covers also.

Maybe my MAF is screwed or the trip computer is a pile of bs, I really can't say, I really baby it though on the freeway most of the time.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
ok so this morning, i cleaned my pod filter and maf, put em back together and got 6.5l averaging on 94km/hour from berwick to chadstone turnoff

Sheany

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S SuperCharged
I know this is a little off topic, but I can't find anything specific about the SiDi apart from Holden's marketing hype, but what exactly is it? From what I understand they inject the fuel straight into the cylinder instead of the inlet runners, in an effort to avoid your traditional cylinder swirling. And something about the pistons having a different shape in them to allow a more even burn or something. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Has anyone done a long distance trip (ie Melb to Sydney :) ) yet to see what figures they're getting?

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I know this is a little off topic, but I can't find anything specific about the SiDi apart from Holden's marketing hype, but what exactly is it? From what I understand they inject the fuel straight into the cylinder instead of the inlet runners, in an effort to avoid your traditional cylinder swirling. And something about the pistons having a different shape in them to allow a more even burn or something. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Has anyone done a long distance trip (ie Melb to Sydney :) ) yet to see what figures they're getting?

YouTube - SIDI Technology Explained

Corbs1234

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 3.6
Fuel is directly injected into the cylinder once piston is at top dead centre as opposed to previous models where the fuel was injected into the inlet port, and then allowed into the cylinder once the inlet valve opened.
since there is only air moving through the inlet port, and no liquid/droplets of fuel, the air moves more freely (which supposedly provides a small increase in power)
the direct injection also allows an increase in compression.
Also the injection of fuel directly into the cylinder allows a more precise and 'uniform' placement of fuel vapor as you said, allowing a more efficient burn.
since its a more efficient burn, you can use less fuel to achieve the same power.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
one of the big bennifits of the directinjection is the ability to have more than one injection of fuel so the fuel can be injected in stages and provide a complet burn of the fuel hence the economy benifits