Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE sidi SV6 fuel economy

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
hey
Ive had my MY10 sidi sv6 ute for almost 2 weeks now.
so far the computer is showing me drinking 10.9/100 from my 1st fill. and now this week i put 98 ron in it and im currently chewing 11.5/ 100.
what are other people getting in there sidi sv6's?
im expecting better economy with the sidi engine.
my dealership has said that after the free 3000km service it should be better on fuel cos the oil used in the engine is thicker than it should be to run in the engine. then in goes the good quality oil? any one know that?

Brad.

Mate, its a brand new engine of course its going to use more fuel! As the engine loosen's up that figure will drop. Dont expect the fuel figure to be low as soon as u drive out of the dealer.

The figure that ur getting, is that combined hwy/city driving?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
i had a MY08 sv6, ( i know this is a sidi thread ). If i put the put down then i got the same fuel usuage as i do out of my adventra. But on the around town i had it around 10.7 most of the time, on the freeway, 8.2 was the lowest i had

that was the 195 6 speed manual

Are you using the vehicle instruments to ascertain fuel consumption ? H'mmmm - yes - well.....perhaps you should do some manual calculations on fuel consumption. i.e. fill the tank to brim, drive until almost empty, note distance travelled and fuel used and do the same another 2 - 3 times. At end of 'test' add up all fuel used, add total distance travelled then using the following formula, 'divide kilometres into 100 and multiply by litres used = litres per 100 kilometres'. That's how to calculate your fuel consumption.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
you will find the trip computers are fairly accurate, normally within 2%, unlike the VZ trip computers, which is like 10%.

sv6newby

Reaction score
Members Ride
sv6 ute
Mate, its a brand new engine of course its going to use more fuel! As the engine loosen's up that figure will drop. Dont expect the fuel figure to be low as soon as u drive out of the dealer.

The figure that ur getting, is that combined hwy/city driving?

yes mate its combined, my working week consists of about 500km/ week and its probably 200- 250 of that is actually criusing in 6th gear on the highway... so most of it is urban driving which i know uses more fuel... but my previous car a 03 wrx with a few mods and tune so far has been better on fuel...

how long till i should see a drop in fuel with the new engine lossening up? now done 1200km.

Hsv is king

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
i have the 3L sidi and get around 9.4/100 and 91 fuel and about 9.8 an 95 and 10.2 on 98

i can get easily get over 720KMs per tank

if you put the boot into it all the time it will average about 10.9/100

Dont really see the benifit in 98 fuel now with the SIDI as they run better with low octane fuels where as the alloytech engine ran the best on 98 and would gulp 91 fuel

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
All i know abut the SIDI from working in the hire car industry is they are pretty quick for a stock 6 lol

monaro327

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Skaife Senator & VY SS UTE
18042009021.jpg

thats my manual non sidi sv6 on the free way but i dont see that often. my everyday city driving returns about 8.7 - 9.3. these sidi motors should be good for 3.X when run in.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
i tried in mine non sidi sv6 manual and could get it to the 6 i could get 4.7 ona a down hill gradient
i have the rear mufflers done
do you have intake or exhaust?

SPack

Wish it would rain......
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SV6 sportwagon (phantom)
hey
Ive had my MY10 sidi sv6 ute for almost 2 weeks now.
so far the computer is showing me drinking 10.9/100 from my 1st fill. and now this week i put 98 ron in it and im currently chewing 11.5/ 100.
what are other people getting in there sidi sv6's?
im expecting better economy with the sidi engine.
my dealership has said that after the free 3000km service it should be better on fuel cos the oil used in the engine is thicker than it should be to run in the engine. then in goes the good quality oil? any one know that?

Brad.

I put mine in for it's 3000 km service today. I was surprised to see that the engine oil wasn't changed, just checked. So I had a look at the service schedule.... nope, they don't replace engine oil, just check it...as per the Holden schedule. So I guess if they use thicker oil, it stays there until the 15000km service. Your dealership must give extra-special care changing it at 3000km... too bad mine took half an hour to simply process the car on arrival and accept the keys...very disorganised (just as well I didn't have to pay for the service)