Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE software update query

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Hi guys just a quick question for people that are familiar with this issues

I'm servicing my car through local mechanic, but I'd also like to know if/when software updates are available for my car

I'm just curious whether these updates are automatic standard procedure at dealerships when car is brought in for service...or is it done only when something doesn't seem right

I would not mind taking my car in to dealership for an odd service to make sure everything is up to date...but I simply don't know how this stuff works

How would you find out if updates are available ? :hmmm:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I've been curious about this too recently.
Getting car serviced by local mechanic costs half the price, but then you miss out on whatever computer tune up Holden might offer.
My car is just about to hit 30k and since last service was local Goodyear place, I'm considering Holden for this one (just so they could potentially tune the car), but I seriously doubt they will anyway.

I wonder if you can get car serviced elesewhere, but rock up to Holden asking for a computer checkup or something?
What labour would there be? open bonnet, plug in PC, read screen, press button, unplug PC.

Alternatively, you keep getting car serviced by local place.... then only take to Holden when there's a noticable problem for them to fix under warranty.
The car will tell you if something aint right.

The benefit with a Holden service is that your 1 year roadside assistance period gets refreshed though. But then again, if you service your car regularly- when would you realistically need roadside assistance?
Petrol run out? Get a mate (or the mrs) with a jerry can.
Flat? Change it yourself.
Besides.... depending on where you are, roadside assistance might take a few hours to get to you!

I dunno.
I'm leaning towards 3rd party servicing still.
Just called Holden and its $325 for the 30k service (3L SIDI).
Goodyear is under $200.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Guess it all comes down to how much weight you put on software updates vs quality mechanical workmanship. (not saying all dealership services are crap, nor am I saying that all independent mechanics are good). It strikes me though, that you'd only notice your car had a software fault if/when something goes wrong. In which case, your reliable independent mechanic should be able to refer you to Holden for a warranty fix.

my $0.02

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
yeah that sound reasonable...
I guess 'do not fix if aint broken' would apply in this instance

I never serviced any of my cars at Holden...simply because they were all second hand, so I'd do all servicing myself...

In this case it's a new car under warranty so it does need log book service

Not long ago, I contacted more 6-7 dealerships in the area to get a quote for 15 000 k's service

Prices ranged between $270-$420

I just can't believe variation....so I'm sticking with local mechanic who does it for $160 and uses good synthetic oil...

ON that note....none of the dealership I contacted used 5w-30 for my car despite this grade being recommended by Holden ?!

I found this strange...

I bet my life that if something went wrong with the engine and my mechanic used different oil viscosity to 5w-30 they would try to do everything to get out of warranty claim

Dodgy bastards...

Last edited:

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Well I do know that the dealership I go to (with all the work I've had done under warranty, I just got the services done at the same time) use a 5w30 synth - They gave me a list of what they can get and I chose Edge. With my car coming off warranty soon though, there won't be another dealership service. ever.

There is a MASSIVE price difference between dealerships - even for parts. Definitely pays to shop around.

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
if you wanted holden to do a software update itl cost you 1 hrs labour as thats the minimum charge $121 rip off

gts33som

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv
I bought a 06 SSV in November which has never had a Holden service.
Is it worth getting the software updated? The car has no issues...
Is there a change log somewhere so we can see the differences in software versions??

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
if all is well then i wouldnt worry about it just enjoy

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The only time software is updated is if its found theres an issue with the software that is having a negative affect on the car.

Generally if the car has no issues the software wont be updated.