Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Speaker upgrade

SILKENSTEIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 2010
Hi all, first time poster here.

I'm looking to increase volume and bass in my 2010 VE Berlina wagon on a budget. I was looking at installing a 4ch amp with high level input instead of installing a LOC and low level input amp. Then replacing the front and rear speakers with Pioneer G1645R ($45 pair) and using the 4ch amp to run all 4 speakers.

My questions are:

1 - Is it worth dishing out the extra money to get split's?
2 - Is it beneficial to disconnect the centre dash speaker?
3 - Does anyone know the wiring configuration of the front speakers and tweeters? Is there a cross over in the door or are they in series... or what's the deal in regards to having the new front speakers on an amp?

SILKENSTEIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 2010
Thanks Dayvo for the quick response, that thread is actually what made me sign up to this forum. I've scoured a few of the threads on here. I found some pioneer splits and can get splits and coaxials and an amp for $360 which is a pretty good price. I might even do the sound barrier too if i can convince the wife hahaha

I saw another post you posted in about your upgrade, i forget though, did you use the existing wiring going into the door for the speakers and tweeters? and where did you mount your amp under the passenger seat?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I mounted my amp under the parcel shelf. I disconected the plug at the speaker. Plugged speaker wire into plug using spade connectors, ran it to the amp then back to the speaker .

SILKENSTEIN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina 2010
I don't know if I'm getting carried away now, but what's your thoughts on this package?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIONEER-...B-CABLE-KIT-/301619403671?hash=item4639eadb97

It's essentially what I already had in mind but for and extra $220 (based on what i was going to already pay for wiring acc.) I could get an sub and amp. If i went down this path, would I disconnect the centre speaker, extend the wires to the sub amp, and then use the four normal wires for the speakers amp? (both amps have high level input)

did you find you had enough bass with your speakers and amp install?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I had 2 subs left over from other vehicles and a kicker amp, the amp just drives the subs.
11mdqvp.jpg

all I did was install those then removed the center speaker and disconnected the back parcel shelf subs and it sounds awesome and is loud as, all the other speakers are stock.
have done this kind of setup(amp+sub) in many vehicles over the years and never really found the need to change the stock speakers.