Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Sportwagon + KPM Exhaust Drone

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
as a general guide, you can expect around 30-35 rwkw from an OTR and tune - a little more if you pick up some headers and cats.

Some pick up more, some less - but that's a pretty safe guesstimate. Mods like that are more about removing the factory installed restrictions and letting the motor breathe how it should, rather than chasing numbers. You'll feel the difference and enjoy it immensely though.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Im thinking about ordering the OTR and fitting myself, then taking it to either Jakes or Gentech to get it tuned.

Get the VCM OTR and take it up to Syndey and have Steve from Oztract do your tune. It will save you some money and you'll see the benifits on the drive home.

loku16

Reaction score
Website
www.addicted2fish.com.au
Members Ride
2010 VE SS-V Wagon
i have a full VCM 3" system and even after the AFM has been turned off, there is drone at about 2000rpm. So..I've bought some dynamat from ebay and will line the boot area including the spare wheel well.. if that doesn't work, VCM said they will look at alternatives!

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
i have a full VCM 3" system and even after the AFM has been turned off, there is drone at about 2000rpm. So..I've bought some dynamat from ebay and will line the boot area including the spare wheel well.. if that doesn't work, VCM said they will look at alternatives!

As an experiment refit you factory rear mufflers to the VCM system (If you can seeing that its now a 3" systems) or a design similar to them. I had that anoying 1800rpm drone (sh!tted me right off) and installed AFM rear mufflers and no more drone.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute

I think, in this instance, it's actually a wagon thing. I know that VCM will not fit their 2.5 system to a wagon (as it's the louder of the pair on a mechanically stock motor). The wagons are famous for being susceptible to drone - they were the first iteration of the AFM muffler - before AFM. Holden recognised it as an issue on their stock system. Hopefully the dynamat helps - Because the VCM systems are among the nicer sounding exhausts out there and it would be a shame to stifle that.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
What do you mean Varex mufflers are illega?

I mean they're illegal - if they're found on your car on the street, your car can be defected and deemed unroadworthy - which can also lead to any insurance claims being disallowed.

Varex mufflers are advertised for track use only (in the fine print)

unitdiplomacy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 CalaisV Sportwagon V8 Auto
Anyone had any issues with the OTR intakes and water into the engine? Do they have some sort of water drain hose or does the air filter take care of that? my main concern is following traffic in heavy rain / washing the car etc.

RUF-60L

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS
Anyone had any issues with the OTR intakes and water into the engine? Do they have some sort of water drain hose or does the air filter take care of that? my main concern is following traffic in heavy rain / washing the car etc.

no :)

that is all

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute

Most OTRs deal with water ingress reasonably well, though some are better than others. VCM and Dus seem to be the most successful at keeping water out - both have very effective drainage, so spray from cars infront and heavy rain won't be much of an issue (flooding would be though).

As for washing the vehicle, it's a good idea to put a plastic bag over the mouth of the intake - particularly with the VE with the big, gaping grille - pressure cleaners (depending on pressure, obviously) have a nasty habit of soaking filter elements - something also to remember, is that car shampoo is designed to remove road film, so also does a reasonably good job, over time, of removing filter oil (assuming the filter in there is oiled). And if you're anything like me (though not many are), you're stripping your waxes back fairly frequently to try out something new. APC will strip the oil from the filter - so cover it.