Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Sportwagon + KPM Exhaust Drone

bennypage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS Sportwagon
Throw away AFM. From what Walkinshaw told me, you cannot have AFM and cat back in a wagon due to likely hood of drone. I had mine tuned out and it's great. That being said, this from experience on their exhaust systems which are Perry exhausts from memory.

SSV Redline

You Ride I Ride
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SSV Redline Sportwagon
Cool option Blackie, but isnt mafless tuning in a VE illegal?

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
That's what I thought, because it doesnt comply to ADR regulations etc... Looking for a MAF tune option.

OZ track will do a maf tune if you want, but any otr is illegal aswell so it's up to you how far you go. Your KPM is probally over the noise level 2

jneil

Reaction score
Members Ride
'10 Alto SSVeII Redline M6
Mine isn't a 2.5" or an auto or a wagon for that matter...but all this talk of the KPM that doesn't drone is not what i've experienced!

My 1 & 3/4 ceramic headered 3" KPM system drones quite badly at times that I have to knock it back from 6th at 112km/h to 5th to get it out of the 1500-2000rpm/drone range. Unfortunately I haven't been in anyone elses car who say that it "doesn't drone".

It is booked in tomorrow to have the installer have a look at it after several thousand km for it to "settle". I don't think it made squat of difference to the note! Then again i'm using e85 so there isn't much in the way of carbon buildup!

It obviously doesn't drone if you mash the peddal all the time, but ease into the 1500-2000rpm range and just cruise at a constant speed on different roads and it drones!

I think the term "drone" means different things to different people, some even like it but most can't stand it...a constant boomy/echoy noise that fills the cabin is what I call drone.

I will make a video one day...if I get some bloody time!!

Jeff.

3onTree

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline Sportswagon
Droning observations

With only 550km on the clock, my SSV Redline went in for the Walkinshaw Pack. Could not imagine driving an 8 with such a subdued exhaust and weasy intake - result is complete transformation for the better but does change some aspects of driving. On thing I found interesting is how the Walkinshaw guys fit longer tail pipes. I noticed that the KPM tail pipe finished inside the line of the body. That will apparently increase drone.

photo (10).JPG

Having said that I experience a great sound track on start up and under acceleration. At around 2k rpm in a high gear I hear some drone I do not like. At cruising speeds there is no drone at all, seems when the auto is shifting in standard mode it likes to hold a taller gear since the torque can carry the car at low rpm / speed. The sound however under such conditions is not good - to be polite. I now always flick over to sport shift and the car downshifts and doesn't hang around that tall gear low rpm zone. Interesting that the bi-modal exhausts from Walkinshaw run the exhaust gases through the mufflers around 2-4k rpm and open up after and at idle.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Response::

hi to disable the afm you have to do a mafless tune which is a complete dyno tune including the auto's shifting.
and the cost is $1100
to supply and maffless tune using the vcm otr is $550 and $1000 for the tune,saving you $125 for the package deal
give me a call on *((number removed.))** to talk if you need to
thanks

hmm... I was sure you could have the AFM deactivated without the need to remove the MAF. Also you can fit a VCM OTR (that has the MAF adapter) without tuning.
Agreed you will get some performance benifits from removing the MAF sensor. With all the dyno vids I've seen there is not a lot of difference in power figures. Infact some have had issues removing the MAF and getting the car to run properly (don't ask me why - maybe user error).

I would give Steve from Oztrack a call, it would be sorted realy quickly. Alternatively you could call Autotech Services in Hume and ask for Ed, they too are a VCM products provider in the ACT.

Cheers
Phil

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
You can deactivate afm without a mafless tune. When I got my kpm exhaust installed, gary from chevs asked if I wanted mine switched off - a matter of using tech ii and choosing the disabled option.

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
get some helmholts resinators or j pipes put on your tailpipe around your mufflers. they do this alot in the states to the G 8 PONTIACS. they work as i have them on my car with no rear mufflers.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
With only 550km on the clock, my SSV Redline went in for the Walkinshaw Pack. Could not imagine driving an 8 with such a subdued exhaust and weasy intake - result is complete transformation for the better but does change some aspects of driving. On thing I found interesting is how the Walkinshaw guys fit longer tail pipes. I noticed that the KPM tail pipe finished inside the line of the body. That will apparently increase drone.

View attachment 116168

Having said that I experience a great sound track on start up and under acceleration. At around 2k rpm in a high gear I hear some drone I do not like. At cruising speeds there is no drone at all, seems when the auto is shifting in standard mode it likes to hold a taller gear since the torque can carry the car at low rpm / speed. The sound however under such conditions is not good - to be polite. I now always flick over to sport shift and the car downshifts and doesn't hang around that tall gear low rpm zone. Interesting that the bi-modal exhausts from Walkinshaw run the exhaust gases through the mufflers around 2-4k rpm and open up after and at idle.

my full 3 kpm on the ute anyway goes a tad futher then the body, even with a big cam and full bolt ons pretty much doesnt droan