Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Sportwagon Suspension Query??

Benny J

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 White VE SSV Wag
Hey guys....

Sorry if this is a common question....i used the search option but couldnt find what i was after.:embarrass

I need some guidance with lowering my 2010 sportwagon.

I am looking to lower my car and at this stage want to use springs only at this stage and will replace shocks etc at a later date.

At this stage i am looking at Superlow springs which i have been told will lower the car by 40mm?? Does this sound right?

I have also been quoted about $700-$800 fitted....apparently the fitting is a bit of a root around hence the (what seems) high FITTED cost.

I was also hoping there was someone else who has done this mod and could give me some idea on what the ride was like afterwards? Did you notice a huge change in ride quality or did it remain the same?

Any advice would be really appreciated!!:beer chug:

Cheers

Benny J

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
hey mate, I was quoted $220 for fitting and $50 for wheel alignment, seeing as you can buy SSL springs all round for about $220 on ebay, I'd say thats a mega rip off.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
That's still a bit high for just springs. Pedders price is around 600 normally and less at some other places with king springs. I'd be shopping around.

If you're not going too low, the shocks will be alright, but you might notice some more bounce, particularly in the back of the wagon as the shocks will struggle a bit to counter the higher spring rates of the new springs. Nothing too drastic, just not optimal.

It's always advisable to go for a shot body shock absorber but not essential if only lowering a moderate amount. You may want to go for some shorter bump stops at minimum at some point though.

azzss

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY 9.5 SSV Sportswagon M6 & 08 prado D4D GXL M6
Mate, i've got pedders sportsrider springs in mine, lowered it about 25-30mm left the shocks alone and to be honest the ride is better than it was with the stock (fe2) springs. IMO looks,rides and handles good gets over normal speed humps no dramas the only other thing i'll do is replace the shocks when these ones start thumping. BTW i'm running the standard wheels (19's).
Cheers.

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Who is doing it for you? VE's are just as easy as any other commodore.
From what iv found is the back will be a bit bouncy with standard shocks but its not that bad.
The front will still ride fine for everyday driving.
Mine is lowered 2" with king springs im happy with how it sits the wagon might be different im pretty sure they have a heavier rear spring.

Benny J

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 White VE SSV Wag
Who is doing it for you? VE's are just as easy as any other commodore.
From what iv found is the back will be a bit bouncy with standard shocks but its not that bad.
The front will still ride fine for everyday driving.
Mine is lowered 2" with king springs im happy with how it sits the wagon might be different im pretty sure they have a heavier rear spring.

Thanks guys...

Did you do yours yourself Wes?? I was toying with the idea of doing it myself...was quoted about $300 for the springs so it would be a big saving.

Were they super lows or ultra lows that you went with?

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
Benny here is a pic of my wagon. I have King SL in the rear and King SSL in the front. The rear dropped 35mm and the front dropped 25mm. I do have Monroe short body shocks as well.

It's a nice practical height and it doesn't scrape or rub anywhere.

wez84

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv/vr calais V6 turbo oneday N/A Track car
Thanks guys...

Did you do yours yourself Wes?? I was toying with the idea of doing it myself...was quoted about $300 for the springs so it would be a big saving.

Were they super lows or ultra lows that you went with?

Yeah mate only took a couple of hours while haven some beers one afternoon
the springs i went with are super low heres the king spring numbers for super low to suit your wagon
Front KHFL-150SSL
Rear KHRL-152SLHD

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
a) $700-800 is too much. Pedders will do it for about $600, fitted, wheels realigned... the lot.

b) the wagons have rake (front lower than rear) on them that is much more noticable when the car is lowered, so you need to drop the rear one step more than the front to even out the lines- otherwise the arse sticks up too high.

c) standard shocks are perfectly fine with slightly lowered suspension. people who tell you that you hit bumpstops or otherwise adversely affect ride quality using standard shocks arent being 100% accurate with you.

d) springs will settle in. when you first get them installed, the car will sit a tad higher than what it will be in a few months. not a lot (half cm or so), but noticable.

when I got mine done, i aimed to simply have the tyre rubber line up evenly with the wheel arch. didnt want the 'tubbed' look where the wheel sits within the arch, and didnt want to be able to see suspension components in having the car sit too high. the sportsryders from pedders have been perfect. ride is good, no squeaks or rattles, not once have I bottomed out or hit bumpstops on shocks, and I'm not the only one on here who would reccomend them 150%. but at $600 or so.... max.

Benny J

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 White VE SSV Wag
WOW....thanks heaps guys!!

Voodoo...yours sits really nice. But after reading what UFO wrote i am a bit confused. UFO stated that the front is lower than the rear but you have lowered the rear more than the front and it looks quite even??

UFO...did you get mixed up?? Is it the other way around...as in rear lower than the front?

Dont mean to question you...just want some clarification before i order...